cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FLEXIBLE FRESH WATER HOSE

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I am tired of fighting with my Camco white water hose. This time of year it is like wrestling a Bowa Constrictor to get it put away. Why do I do this? Anyone know of an easy coiling fresh water hose that won't break the bank. I saw one on a compact reel. Any thoughts?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
47 REPLIES 47

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Sjm9911 wrote:
Zero g hose. Try it , you will not go back.

Zero G hoses are awesome!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I will.

In case your not familiar with my camping style though, Iโ€™ll tell you right up front that I never connect my TC to the campground water system. The freshwater tank is always full when weโ€™re traveling, and the hose only comes out to refill it. Why? Because my waste tanks are smaller than even a newer TC of this size has nowadays. Using the water pump keeps everyone focused on not using too much water.

Also, where I store the hose isnโ€™t a โ€œwet bayโ€ area like a lot of RVโ€™s have, so Iโ€™m in the habit of draining the hose completely before putting it away. I canโ€™t have a water filled hose leaking into that storage compartment and damaging it.

But, if the new hose turns out to not be a good fresh water hose, then it will replace my old โ€œutilityโ€ hose. Thatโ€™s the one I donโ€™t mind connecting to the black tank wand, or any other unsanitary chore. My current utility hose is a cheap-o flat hose on a wind-up reel that I think I bought at a dollar store. It has issues thatโ€™s making it difficult to wind back up, and needs to be replaced anyway.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

NRALIFR wrote:
D@MN!! :M

Yet another example of โ€œOne size doesnโ€™t fit allโ€!

That wonโ€™t be a problem for me. The old hose wasnโ€™t exactly problem free itself, especially when itโ€™s cold.

Let me / US know of your thoughts on the hose after using it a few times....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
D@MN!! :M

Yet another example of โ€œOne size doesnโ€™t fit allโ€!

That wonโ€™t be a problem for me. The old hose wasnโ€™t exactly problem free itself, especially when itโ€™s cold.

And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I ordered one of those Forest Service garden hoses from Rawhide Firehoses, and it was delivered yesterday.

Thatโ€™s a nice hose! I tested it, and it doesnโ€™t seem to add a taste to the water. Iโ€™ll hang on to my old hose though, just in case.

Itโ€™s much lighter than the old hose, and fits on my hose reel better.

My problem with that style hose is that you have to unreel the entire length even when just a few feet are needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered one of those Forest Service garden hoses from Rawhide Firehoses, and it was delivered yesterday.

Thatโ€™s a nice hose! I tested it, and it doesnโ€™t seem to add a taste to the water. Iโ€™ll hang on to my old hose though, just in case.

Itโ€™s much lighter than the old hose, and fits on my hose reel better.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
I grew up on a dairy farm. In the summer time we ran many hardware store garden hoses to several different areas watering livestock and chickens. We often drank from those hoses and never gave a thought about what the hose was made of.
Now 50-60 years latter it's hard to find a hose that does not put a bad taste in the water when hooked to an rv. full time.
Makes a big difference if the water is flowing all day and you take a sip vs. if the water is stranded in the hose for an extended period.

Sure I drank from a flowing hose as a kid. Always let it flow cold before I took first sip. You would never grab a hose from the garage and drink the stale water.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have a white flat hose, that we don't use. Don't remember why for sure, but I think that it might be because it puts a taste in the water when used full time.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
This is also in the description of the forestry service lay-flat hose:

โ€œ Polyurethane lining made from high tensile TPU compoundedโ€

Sounds like it should be good for drinking water then. I never leave my hoses laying out anyway, I fill the water tank and use the pump.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up on a dairy farm. In the summer time we ran many hardware store garden hoses to several different areas watering livestock and chickens. We often drank from those hoses and never gave a thought about what the hose was made of.
Now 50-60 years latter it's hard to find a hose that does not put a bad taste in the water when hooked to an rv. full time.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I did miss it :R
Thanks for seeing it for me.

As far as drinking water safety goes, as long as it doesnโ€™t give the water a โ€hoseyโ€ taste, Iโ€™d be ok with using it to fill my fresh tank.

NRALIFR wrote:
That forestry service hose sounds like a nice one. Iโ€™m going to get one, even if I just use it to replace my non-drinking water hose.

It says the inner layer is: โ€œHigh tensile polyurethane NSF linerโ€.

Does that imply itโ€™s drinking water safe?

Also, am I missing the length in the description somewhere? It looks like it ought to be about 50โ€™ long, but I donโ€™t see the length actually stated anywhere.

I asked them this very question.... Below is the response I got back -

"Good morning Joe,
Great question. The short answer is that the white layflat is not considered a โ€œpotable waterโ€ hose. That being said, we have had customers completely use a layflat hose for this application and never have any issues. One thing we recommend is using a TPU lined hose instead of the black EPDM rubber lined. The reason being is that potable water hoses use the TPU anyway. Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything else.

Thanks and have a great day!

Stefan Eriksen
President
Rawhide Fire Hose, LLC.
2730 Akron Road
Wooster, Ohio 44691
stefan@rawhidefirehose.com
Toll Free: 1.800.321.3715
Cell: 330.317.1425
Phone: 330.601.0607

Be sure to check out our new website!

https://rawhidefirehose.com/"
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

NRALIFR wrote:
That forestry service hose sounds like a nice one. Iโ€™m going to get one, even if I just use it to replace my non-drinking water hose.

Also, am I missing the length in the description somewhere? It looks like it ought to be about 50โ€™ long, but I donโ€™t see the length actually stated anywhere.

It shows as - 50' -5/8โ€ X 50โ€™ Layflat Garden Hose
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer