Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting comment. Mine is a 2007 and not sure how much of that superfluous junk it has. Indeed it is a total PITA.

My previous truck, a 2003 the same as current ride, had a radio / CD player. At that time I had a massive collection of educational cassette tapes. I went to GM and ordered a AM/FM / cassette / CD stereo. I paid close to 900 bucks for it.
Same as you describe. The computer wouldn't recognize it properly. Many trips to the dealer, reprogram the computer, doing some stupid thing with the VIN to make it function... They never did get it to work properly.

I have not done anything with my headlights yet, but I really need to. They are getting worse. I'm going to out in some aftermarket upgrades with better housings.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I left the oem alone and added a switched set of led light bars. I have better visibility on low beam than on high beam.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the headlight lenses are cloudy, cleaning and polishing them so that they are again transparent will make a noticeable difference. (They will often then require touching up from time to time since the polishing process also tends to remove much of the UV protective layer of the plastic. Arguably a better alternative is to replace the lens assembly entirely.)

For those with light bars, please don't use them on the highway; they almost inevitably cause a lot of glare in other driver's eyes, and very often have rather poor pattern control otherwise for good visibility. Many illuminate the roadway near by directly in front of the vehicle far too brightly in comparison with farther away, which is unhelpful--it draws your eyes to that area, too close to be able to react to anything you see at highway speeds, and due to the increased ambient light makes the pupils close down more and thus reduces one's ability to see things farther away in the distance. Furthermore, they are not DOT approved for highway use. For off-road use where speeds are much lower, they are often very good.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've not had one person "flash" their lights at me in the six years I've had the led light bars. I was careful to aim them below where the low beams focus.

They provide a brilliant white light unlike the yellow from the existing stock Ford E-450 head lamps.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one OEM housing and one cheap quality aftermarket Chinese junk housing that was installed during a collision repair.

The aftermarket housing is very badly yellowed and cloudy. It has been a poor housing since it was new, and will go straight into the garbage where it belongs.

My replacements will likely be US or Canadian made so I know its built properly.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After much research and finally a consultation with a well known industry expert on automotive lighting, it has been determined that there does not exist a quality, properly engineered and designed LED upgrade kit for my truck. They are all Chinese junk. They may look pretty, but it stops there.

My goal is safe, effective lighting so I can see the road ahead, properly designed and built that will not throw glare in the air and blind oncoming drivers.

The best option for me is to replace the entire housings with new, OEM GM Denali headlights. They are far superior than the stock lighting that came with my truck. And they are a bolt in swap, no mods needed.

In addition to that, there is a bulb upgrade that has the same wattage and power draw as my stock bulbs, but it throws more lumens of light. The internal bulb design is identical, making it compatible with the OEM Denali housings design. A slight bulb mounting mod is needed. Combine that with the superior housing design, and I have the best upgrade available.

I have ordered the bulbs, and I'm shopping around for the best price on OEM, genuine GM Denali headlight housing assemblies. They are a lot more money in Canada... usual thing.

I appreciate all the input everyone here offered. Thanks.
Solution found.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those folks with 2010-2018 Ram trucks. We installed a set of 9005 high beam/H11 low beam Sealight LED's on our 2016 Ram 3500 with standard OEM reflector headlight assemblies. As long as you don't mind modifying the mounting ring on the 9005 high beams to get them to mount at 9 & 3---it's a simple plug and play installation with no load resistor or ECM programming necessary. Retained the original OEM halogen beam pattern after some minor adjustment. The Sealights are a very bright white---very little to no blue cast. They significantly improved our visibility at night---at least double the brightness/lumens vs. the OEM halogen bulbs. Have yet to have anybody flash us.

* This post was edited 08/31/21 10:16am by otrfun *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob,

Who was the industry expert?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Bob,

Who was the industry expert?

Hi Don, missed this post earlier..
It was the owner of Daniel Stern Lighting.
I read many articles about lighting and also read his credentials. He is a pro.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob I long for the day when we have automatic RV's. Go to bed. Wake up in a new location ready for a day of sight seeing.

Alas, I fear I will age out before that becomes available.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crummy headlights - Can't see, need upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.