cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tearing down an RV safely

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
This spring, I will be taking apart a 1975 trailer that the frame is rotten and may not even survive the winter.

Once it is here, no propane will be hooked up, the batteries will be removed, and the shore power will not be connected. As well, no water will be connected.

Are there any potential energy sources I might be not thinking of?
31 REPLIES 31

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I like the free add best, and that was funny.

Next best, the bury it with an excavator.

If not, just go at it with a sawsall and a sledge hammer. A video setup on a tripod would be good incase there is a disastrous surprise of some sort.

I tore a 12 truck camper apart, I just crushed it with my Bobcat skidsteer and pushed it into a dumpster.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Invite all the local teenagers.
Tell then you have a case of beer that says they cannot have this thing on the ground in pieces inside an hour.

Once I get everything out of it that is salvageable, it will come down in about that time with me doing it.

Invite all the local teenagers.
Tell then you have a case of beer that says they cannot have this thing on the ground in pieces inside an hour.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Foggy wrote:
Strip the inside. Remove the outer skin and insulation. Add a lit match. There shouldn't be enough heat from what little wood is in the framing to warp the steel frame.

I don't have a big enough clearing to do the last part....

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
Strip the inside. Remove the outer skin and insulation. Add a lit match. There shouldn't be enough heat from what little wood is in the framing to warp the steel frame.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Swimmer,

The most dangerous thing (after the millions of staples) is that the structure may collapse on you when things are removed. To date, I have three friends that got injured this way. One of these even collapsed with the rear wall still in place. The other two had both ends open. One had been braced by a pair of 2*4s in the middle, but someone kicked one loose and down it went.

All these cases, be sure to have a camera man, you could get the 10,000$ on America's stupidest people....
Sorry, you are in Sudbury, well maybe there is Canadian version.

Whatever, just keep thinking what can go wrong.

Matt

Once the stuff besides structure is removed from in the trailer, it will be taken down from the outside.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Swimmer,

The most dangerous thing (after the millions of staples) is that the structure may collapse on you when things are removed. To date, I have three friends that got injured this way. One of these even collapsed with the rear wall still in place. The other two had both ends open. One had been braced by a pair of 2*4s in the middle, but someone kicked one loose and down it went.

All these cases, be sure to have a camera man, you could get the 10,000$ on America's stupidest people....
Sorry, you are in Sudbury, well maybe there is Canadian version.

Whatever, just keep thinking what can go wrong.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
DrewE wrote:
The main energy source remaining is gravity. Pay attention to that and all should be well.

That is the biggest one that worries me. My hope is to be able to direct those forces in a controlled manner.

A hard hat might be your friend. Not a bump cap, a real hard hat with an internal shock absorbing suspension.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
If I take it tot he dump, it'll cost me more than tearing it apart and taking the pieces to the dump. Also, if the frame is good, I'm making a flatbed out of it.

Rent a small excavator for a weekend, dig a large hole, then use the machine to rip the structure from the frame. Bury the metal, burn the remainder.

Mostly a waste of time and money as the frame will probably need a lot of reinforcement added to be used as a cargo or utility trailer, and the axle capacity will most likely not cover its repurposed use after conversion. A deck substantial enough to use will weigh as much as the box you ripped off the top. It would be cheaper to buy one designed for the intended purpose.

Around here local auto salvage or scrap yards will take them free, some will even pay you for them.

I'll likely spend about $1k on the project. A new trailer that matches my needs would easily cost $5k. If the frame is not worth keeping, then I will look at going to a new trailer.

I still like my Free ad!
:B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
Also, if the frame is good, I'm making a flatbed out of it.

But you said the frame is rotten...

swimmer_spe wrote:
This spring, I will be taking apart a 1975 trailer that the frame is rotten and may not even survive the winter.

The 2 frame rails that run the length of the trailer are solid. The bumper could be pulled off by hand. The rest, I don't know. The reason for it not surviving the winter is the fact that the wood frame is what is really rotten. If we get a good snow load, it will come down. If I am not careful on the roads, it might come down.

Besides, ripping it apart, I can get money for the scrap, whereas bringing it to the dump, I'll need to pay for it.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
swimmer_spe wrote:
Also, if the frame is good, I'm making a flatbed out of it.

But you said the frame is rotten...

swimmer_spe wrote:
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
swimmer_spe wrote:
The trailer had a rated weight of about 2500 kgs.Once it is cleared off, if the frame is still good, I'll bring it to a friend who welds. They will reinforce the parts that need to be. The deck will be 3/4 plywood, which would be good for side by sides, quads, snow machines, or other lighter things. It would not be for hauling my truck or anything real heavy.

The โ€˜boxโ€™ of a TT is a huge part of the structural rigidity of the unit, take the box off the frame and it becomes a slinky on wheels.

Repurposing frames like that is huge in the aviation community, and if you never go very far or faster than 50km/h (35mph) they work just fine. Faster than that, or longer distances, the usual term used is โ€œtail wagging the dogโ€.

Sell the trailer for $500 and use that money to buy a real trailer, not a component of a trailer.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Put a carefully worded ad on Craigslist or Kijiji.

Put humour into it.

Any old roach of a piece of junk I always get rid of that way. I never have to haul anything to the dump. People will take anything.

FREE attracts all the vultures.... I mean thrifty shoppers who will take ANYTHING if it costs them nothing.

Something like this:

Free!

One well used travel trailer (describe make and model)
This beauty is but a shadow of its former glory!
Well past its days of providing relaxation and comfort, this less than gorgeous rotting hulk is sure to upset all your neighbors when you drag it home!
In fact, on a quiet night you can lay there and listen to it rot away....
But just think of the fun you will have calling for help when you fall through the floor, screaming for help!
OK, this old pig is less than cherry, but it is FREE!
Yes, you read correctly, free.
Bring your tow vehicle and I will even hook it up for you.
Heck, if you happen to be the lucky recipient and show up first, I will even throw in a well worn leaky old tarp so you can pretend to keep it from leaking and rotting any further!

Don't wait, don't hesitate, I can already hear the thunder of people rushing to my front door to take advantage of my incredible offer. But bring a mask and rubber gloves, it kinda smells and you don't want to catch anything by touching it.....

Yes, it's a fixer upper, more like a tearer downer, but it's free!
Pictures? Heck yeah, just email me and I'll send you all the pics you want of this poor lifeless old relic!

But seriously, I'm sure you can use this old heap for something.... Maybe a chicken coop?..
The possibilities are endless!
Your wife will love you more!
:B:B

She loves it when I have projects that will keep me out of her hair.