cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
We are very interested in the Montana FL camper 3710. But got reports yesterday that the rear end drags and the bumper gets damaged.

The person that has this camper is really sick about it and has torn the bumper off twice..

Any other reports or stories. Thanks for any insight or suggestions for other similar designed campers etc.
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
16 REPLIES 16

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
We have been all over the US with our 40 ft 5er in my signature line and never had an issue with dragging the rear of the trailer. The trailer sets perfectly level with the truck and and I have a bit over 6 inched bed clearance.

My thoughts are that the OP is riding his trailer nose high which make the trailer rear end low and more prone to dragging.

Ken

Its possible he's nose high, many are these days with the trucks getting higher ,and higher.

I have dragged my previous fifth wheel three times in the 12 years I had it . 2008 Montana 3400 RL 38 foot long. It didn't have one thing to do with the model. Sure it was prone to dragging under certain circumstances . It actually broke off the wing nut that tightened my Steadyfast stabilizer on a couple of those drags. Totally operator error if you will, it is what it is .If you would of had your fifth wheel where I dragged mine, you most likely would have dragged also . I too have gone thousands of miles with that fifth wheel, sure doesn't make much difference if you put yourself in a situation that it can happen . Some can go thousands of miles ,but remain on flat terrain in ,and out truck stops , and RV parks, and never had a have a problem such as yourself .

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been all over the US with our 40 ft 5er in my signature line and never had an issue with dragging the rear of the trailer. The trailer sets perfectly level with the truck and and I have a bit over 6 inched bed clearance.

My thoughts are that the OP is riding his trailer nose high which make the trailer rear end low and more prone to dragging.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's just the nature of the Beast. We travel level with our 43' unit and have dragged a few times. You just learn to be careful with driveways and other dips in entrance ways and such.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
it would be no more prone than my 39.5 foot cougar. I have scraped it once and that was coming out of a gas station that was built up way higher than the road with a very steep transition. this was my fault as I didnt notice it till it was to lait. I agree that it is most likly not set up level when towing or just plain old operator error like mine was.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Friends almost bought one at the Tampa show last week but the one with the sunken bedroom and loft above but changed their mind just because of this issue. Not sure one without the sunken bedroom would do the same thing
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The floor plan would have nothing to do with it. It's a level issue. Lifted truck or hitch height issue.
Puma 30RKSS

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with the suggestion to go on the Montana owners forum to find other 3710FL owners to ask them. It is not a floor plan they make anymore. If I recall from the Montana Owners Facebook group, the High Country 376/377FL has this issue occasionally, but it's a different floor plan and has a rear master with loft above it, so the rear is lower than normal.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
@40' long and the axles towards the center that leaves a big section from the axles to the bumper. If the 5er is a couple inches high in the front that will compound the issue.
FWIW I have a 31' TT with the axles more towards the center vs rear. Just exiting my driveway one of my stab jacks almost drags. I'm running 16" tires and a robust suspension and my driveway's not steep at all.
My thinking is the guys pin high vs level and thats causing the rear bumper to drag more often.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typical of any long RV on steep or hilly areas, our driveway is pretty steep and I have learned to drive in/out a certain way to avoid scraping rear end. It is not specific to Montanas as I have never owned one, any RV I have owned over 30' has caused this issue to occur.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fowlthing wrote:
Thanks for the feedback...my understanding is that it has happened on local paved roads...we do live in a hilly area.. thanks..

Hilly areas are very prone to steep grade changes as you enter driveways or even crossroads.

Just driving along a paved road with no obvious damage, I can't see how even with a low clearance you would be dragging.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback...my understanding is that it has happened on local paved roads...we do live in a hilly area.. thanks..
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest you go over to the Montana Owners Club forum and ask the question. I know there have been a few that have had a problem with rear end drag on very uneven surfaces. Some have added skid plates or rollers. But I don't know what floorplans those were. But I don't know that it is any more of a problem on Montana than other 40' 5ers with long rear overhangs.

I would agree that that falls into the "Operator Error" category . .

Without seeing the set up that is
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a 36ft Mobile Suites and it came from the factory with built in skids at the back. Only dragged on the skids once coming out of a rediculous steep and short gas station exit that I should not have used. Pure operator error.
I agree that "this guy" either had a poor set up or operator error in where he was taking his unit.