Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree with the suggestion to go on the Montana owners forum to find other 3710FL owners to ask them. It is not a floor plan they make anymore. If I recall from the Montana Owners Facebook group, the High Country 376/377FL has this issue occasionally, but it's a different floor plan and has a rear master with loft above it, so the rear is lower than normal.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The floor plan would have nothing to do with it. It's a level issue. Lifted truck or hitch height issue.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

dblr

Newark De

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friends almost bought one at the Tampa show last week but the one with the sunken bedroom and loft above but changed their mind just because of this issue. Not sure one without the sunken bedroom would do the same thing

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it would be no more prone than my 39.5 foot cougar. I have scraped it once and that was coming out of a gas station that was built up way higher than the road with a very steep transition. this was my fault as I didnt notice it till it was to lait. I agree that it is most likly not set up level when towing or just plain old operator error like mine was.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's just the nature of the Beast. We travel level with our 43' unit and have dragged a few times. You just learn to be careful with driveways and other dips in entrance ways and such.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been all over the US with our 40 ft 5er in my signature line and never had an issue with dragging the rear of the trailer. The trailer sets perfectly level with the truck and and I have a bit over 6 inched bed clearance.

My thoughts are that the OP is riding his trailer nose high which make the trailer rear end low and more prone to dragging.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

We have been all over the US with our 40 ft 5er in my signature line and never had an issue with dragging the rear of the trailer. The trailer sets perfectly level with the truck and and I have a bit over 6 inched bed clearance.

My thoughts are that the OP is riding his trailer nose high which make the trailer rear end low and more prone to dragging.

Ken

Its possible he's nose high, many are these days with the trucks getting higher ,and higher.

I have dragged my previous fifth wheel three times in the 12 years I had it . 2008 Montana 3400 RL 38 foot long. It didn't have one thing to do with the model. Sure it was prone to dragging under certain circumstances . It actually broke off the wing nut that tightened my Steadyfast stabilizer on a couple of those drags. Totally operator error if you will, it is what it is .If you would of had your fifth wheel where I dragged mine, you most likely would have dragged also . I too have gone thousands of miles with that fifth wheel, sure doesn't make much difference if you put yourself in a situation that it can happen . Some can go thousands of miles ,but remain on flat terrain in ,and out truck stops , and RV parks, and never had a have a problem such as yourself .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.