Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
fowlthing

Roger, AR

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are very interested in the Montana FL camper 3710. But got reports yesterday that the rear end drags and the bumper gets damaged.

The person that has this camper is really sick about it and has torn the bumper off twice..

Any other reports or stories. Thanks for any insight or suggestions for other similar designed campers etc.

2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not heard of a problem but some questions about this "guy":
- Does he have the hitch height set up correctly. If it's bow high, that will put the stern low and make it more prone to dragging. That's operator error not an issue with the trailer.
- Where did these incidents happen? Some driveways have a sharp change in grade from the road to the driveway. Was he boondocking on rough roads? Again, it could be operator error not considering where you are driving. If you are arriving at one of these situations, you need to stop/slow down and figure out if you can make it.

There's nothing special that I can see about this unit, so I'm betting it's operator error.

There are some things you can do to mitigate:
- If the axles are attached above the springs, you can have it moved below gaining you 4-5 inches of clearance.
- If you have enough space between the overhang and the bed rails, you can often move the hitch down which will raise the stern.
- If you do come to a sharp grade change, cross it at an angle will usually help. If nothing else, have someone get out and watch while you creep slowly across it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good reply above, from an obvious boat guy! [emoticon]

Jerry

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once had a 36ft Mobile Suites and it came from the factory with built in skids at the back. Only dragged on the skids once coming out of a rediculous steep and short gas station exit that I should not have used. Pure operator error.
I agree that "this guy" either had a poor set up or operator error in where he was taking his unit.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree that that falls into the "Operator Error" category . .

Without seeing the set up that is

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest you go over to the Montana Owners Club forum and ask the question. I know there have been a few that have had a problem with rear end drag on very uneven surfaces. Some have added skid plates or rollers. But I don't know what floorplans those were. But I don't know that it is any more of a problem on Montana than other 40' 5ers with long rear overhangs.

fowlthing

Roger, AR

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback...my understanding is that it has happened on local paved roads...we do live in a hilly area.. thanks..

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fowlthing wrote:

Thanks for the feedback...my understanding is that it has happened on local paved roads...we do live in a hilly area.. thanks..

Hilly areas are very prone to steep grade changes as you enter driveways or even crossroads.

Just driving along a paved road with no obvious damage, I can't see how even with a low clearance you would be dragging.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typical of any long RV on steep or hilly areas, our driveway is pretty steep and I have learned to drive in/out a certain way to avoid scraping rear end. It is not specific to Montanas as I have never owned one, any RV I have owned over 30' has caused this issue to occur.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@40' long and the axles towards the center that leaves a big section from the axles to the bumper. If the 5er is a couple inches high in the front that will compound the issue.
FWIW I have a 31' TT with the axles more towards the center vs rear. Just exiting my driveway one of my stab jacks almost drags. I'm running 16" tires and a robust suspension and my driveway's not steep at all.
My thinking is the guys pin high vs level and thats causing the rear bumper to drag more often.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana Front Living question...does the bumper hit often
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.