cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 995 or 975 truck choice

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to be that guy but here I am 🙂 WE started the search for a new truck camper. Currently running a 2004 Lance 1010 on a 2006 F350 SRW crew cab diesel. Looking at the lance 995, 975 and the new 960 is also on our radar.

Question is anyone here have either of those lance campers if so what are you carrying it on? Happy with the set up? Im not looking for a weight police debate, just actual real world experience.

One thing we did agree on was our disappointment in the new lances. Seems like far less storage than we have now. My wife actually asked if they eliminated storage capacity on purpose lol Also seemed like every door latch didnt work smoothly, and that was in EVERY model we went through. Anyway after 20 yrs in a lance were going to look at others brands.
John M
11 REPLIES 11

bswan
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 2018 RAM 3500 dually hauling a 2018 995. Both the 995 and 975 are heavier than most people are lead to believe. With my dually the only upgrade I made was to install the Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar. Both the truck and the camper have a perfect marriage together. Our travels are stress free and I feel in total control in all driving conditions. On another note, the cabinet latches on the Lance are not a great design. In order to keep them functioning correctly you must press the door latch prior to opening and closing them. If you pull or slam them they will bend the latch catch on the frame. Once you figure this out and readjust them they function fine.

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
OldF**t wrote:
mbloof wrote:
OldF**t wrote:
Did you read my previous post about the 975? Don't know about current trucks but back in 2019 when I was looking both F350CC SRW 4x2 and 4x4 had a max gvwr of 11,500 lbs with a max cargo capacity of 4130 for the 4x2 and 4450 for the 4x4. The 975 is too heavy to carry safely on a SRW. Perhaps you should look at a lighter unit. But again that is just my opinion.

Humm, is that a typo? I'd think that the 4x2 would have a higher "cargo" rating then the 4x4 as the truck is lighter (no 4x4 hardware).

- Mark0.

No typo. Numbers right off the payload chart in the 2019 sales brochure for the F350 crew cab. Go figure.

This is exactly why I was interested real world experience, not what some engineer says. ITs interesting, in my opinion truck makers underrate their trucks and truck camper mfgs over rate their camepers. My 2006 F350 has a GVWR of 11,500 suprising that hadnt changed .
John M

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
OldF**t wrote:
Did you read my previous post about the 975? Don't know about current trucks but back in 2019 when I was looking both F350CC SRW 4x2 and 4x4 had a max gvwr of 11,500 lbs with a max cargo capacity of 4130 for the 4x2 and 4450 for the 4x4. The 975 is too heavy to carry safely on a SRW. Perhaps you should look at a lighter unit. But again that is just my opinion.

Humm, is that a typo? I'd think that the 4x2 would have a higher "cargo" rating then the 4x4 as the truck is lighter (no 4x4 hardware).

- Mark0.

No typo. Numbers right off the payload chart in the 2019 sales brochure for the F350 crew cab. Go figure.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the responses, I have a fair idea now of which was im going to go.
John M

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
OldF**t wrote:

- Mark0.

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
For standard truck rims the highest load capacity tires provide 3750@80 PSI or 7500 lbs of load capacity at the rear axle. Two options to increase this with the easiest being to go to a DRW pickup and have 4 tires at the rear axle. An alternative to consider is spending $3000 for a full set of four 19.5 wheels and tires as these have a load capacity of 4800 lbs each or more.

If I had to choose between 19.5 wheels and tires and a DRW truck I would go with the 19.5's in a heartbeat. A DRW is a pain to park and the 6 tires do not fit in a rotation pattern and having to change an inner tire on a pickup with a heavy camper sitting in the bed is not something I would want to face.

But it is entirely subjective and most people go with DRW as it is a simple decision. The same subject comes up with 5th wheel travel trailers and yet I know people who have no problems with their 13,500 trailers being towed with SRW trucks. When traveling I will keep a count of 5th wheel RVs that pass us on the highway and consistently more than 80% are towed by pickups with SRW.

thanks for tine response, I run BFG AT KO tires and have for along time. they give me about 7200# capacity. IVe no interest in dumping money into tires and rims. A dually isnt an option. I bought a "restored (bulletproofed etc) F350 last year SRW is easier as you stated.

The thing in this process that surprised me is how much heavier campers have gotten. I understand the slides etc but still. What im looking for is someone carrying one the mentioned cmapers on a SRW anfd thier opinion carrying it.
John M

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
For standard truck rims the highest load capacity tires provide 3750@80 PSI or 7500 lbs of load capacity at the rear axle. Two options to increase this with the easiest being to go to a DRW pickup and have 4 tires at the rear axle. An alternative to consider is spending $3000 for a full set of four 19.5 wheels and tires as these have a load capacity of 4800 lbs each or more.

If I had to choose between 19.5 wheels and tires and a DRW truck I would go with the 19.5's in a heartbeat. A DRW is a pain to park and the 6 tires do not fit in a rotation pattern and having to change an inner tire on a pickup with a heavy camper sitting in the bed is not something I would want to face.

But it is entirely subjective and most people go with DRW as it is a simple decision. The same subject comes up with 5th wheel travel trailers and yet I know people who have no problems with their 13,500 trailers being towed with SRW trucks. When traveling I will keep a count of 5th wheel RVs that pass us on the highway and consistently more than 80% are towed by pickups with SRW.

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 975 on a F350 dually diesel 14K GVWR. On the CAT scale it is close to 5K lbs on the rear axle when loaded for camping with tanks half full. IMO that is too much for a SRW truck. Yes there are no large storage areas but it is adequate for us. The truck rides level with the camper loaded with just upper stableloads added and handles the load with no problems.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

JohnJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I forgot about the lance owners forum. I was a member there, probably still if its the site im thinking about.

glad (not really) that our observations about storage arent just our imagination. WE did see a couple northern lites also and they seemed to have optimized storage much more than lance.
John M

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
JohnJM wrote:
I hate to be that guy but here I am 🙂 WE started the search for a new truck camper. Currently running a 2004 Lance 1010 on a 2006 F350 SRW crew cab diesel. Looking at the lance 995, 975 and the new 960 is also on our radar.

Question is anyone here have either of those lance campers if so what are you carrying it on? Happy with the set up? Im not looking for a weight police debate, just actual real world experience.

One thing we did agree on was our disappointment in the new lances. Seems like far less storage than we have now. My wife actually asked if they eliminated storage capacity on purpose lol Also seemed like every door latch didnt work smoothly, and that was in EVERY model we went through. Anyway after 20 yrs in a lance were going to look at others brands.

John-

Go over and read or join Lance owners forum where you will find owners of the 995 and 975 and I think one or two have then on SRW for "now"..

As to the storage of the newer campers,I agree and I also have on a short list the 995/AF865 and the Northern Lites and maybe Bigfeets..LOL

Good luck...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04