cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing with a parrot

MangoTiki
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first motorhome. I know I'm not the only one out there who will be traveling with a parrot. Do any of you have any input on what 'head chemicals' are bird safe? For those who don't know, chemical vapors can kill a bird in minutes. Ex. Teflon cookware is deadly. I would be grateful to know what you are using.

Thank you.
Carol
10 REPLIES 10

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with 3 parrots. I have Max air vents over my fan vents so I can keep them open in the rain or when I travel. But, then I had a TT not motor home. I would use a environmentally friendly chemical. My birds travel in the TV with me.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I just use water and fill the black tank with one third tank of water after emptied. After 10 days I empty the tank and start over. I have never had a issue with oder. In hot weather you may have to go to 7 day schedule. This also does not harm the septic system at the seasonal RV park.

dturm
I don't know the answer, but we have several forum members that travel with birds. I have not heard of any issues raised previously.

I'd stay away from formaldehyde containing chemicals (they are a lot less common now days than in the past). A lot of people use the GEO method (google it) that does not involve dangerous chemicals.

We have a tank flush that we use frequently and seldom have to use any chemicals except in very hot weather.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tal/IL wrote:
Made me think of this....

I wish no ill will upon the OP's parrot but all I could think of was Monte Python's Dead Parrot sketch.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Made me think of this....

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled with our Amazon since 2008. As to "head chemicals", we don't use any, and we have no problem with toilet odor.

I keep the bowl clean using a spray (I think it's 409). The bathroom ceiling exhaust fan is allowed to run for a while to clear any 409 fumes.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
Cannot testify as to the quality of any of these options, but they are all free from toxic chemicals: \
https://rvlife.com/diy-rv-cleaners/

Those cleaners may be non-toxic to humans but birds are sensitive to a lot of chemicals that humans can tolerate.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Cannot testify as to the quality of any of these options, but they are all free from toxic chemicals: \
https://rvlife.com/diy-rv-cleaners/
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MangoTiki wrote:
This is our first motorhome. I know I'm not the only one out there who will be traveling with a parrot. Do any of you have any input on what 'head chemicals' are bird safe? For those who don't know, chemical vapors can kill a bird in minutes. Ex. Teflon cookware is deadly. I would be grateful to know what you are using.

Thank you.
Carol

H2O works great. Unless you are boondocking, don't be shy with the use.

If you still have odor issues, there is a leak or other failure in the system to fix (unless the leak is someone missing the bowl while taking a leak).

Chemicals just mask the problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My wife travels with a parrot. I donโ€™t. Life is easier for me this way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad