Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Unnecessary Warnings Shown on Products
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Unnecessary Warnings Shown on Products

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

My favorite was on a snack food I bought from a vending machine at work one day. Feeling a little hungry so I bought a bag of roasted peanuts. Standing there snacking on my peanuts, I start reading the back of the bag. Right there in bold letters "CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS." Now it wasn't necessarily the warning that disturbed me, it was the "MAY" part. Of course, then I start wondering who sued the peanut company for putting peanuts in a bag of peanuts without a warning label...

On the peanut butter jar too!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Almost every warning label is there because some ID 10 T did that stupid thing. And sued the company. Not necessarily that particular company.

Remember the famed McDonald's hot coffee law suit. Now, she did not get millions, the judge knocked it down at $640,000, and the two sides settled for an undisclosed amount.

And the lady had serious injuries - 8 days in the hospital with 3rd degree burns that required skin grafts.

But McDonalds has spent tens of millions defending such lawsuits, along with many others.

There were/are People looking for things like no warnings of the obvious so they can sue. Insurance companies use to compile lists of these repeat criminals.Still some courts,make you wonder how they got on the bench.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are the warnings needed or not...
Well till we get rid of the "Hold my beer and watch this" crowd .....

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know, some warnings really need to be heeded. I had a former boss while getting ready to hit the bed picked up a tube of Preparation H instead of toothpaste.

He disappeared.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You only have to get sued once for more money than you’ve ever seen to develop an aversion to risking tangling with either fools or sharks.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

I don't know, some warnings really need to be heeded. I had a former boss while getting ready to hit the bed picked up a tube of Preparation H instead of toothpaste.

He disappeared.

LOL! I've had a boss or two like that!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Regarding that McDonald's lawsuit mentioned earlier by Paw Paw 'n Gram,
where a lady spilled hot coffee on herself and sued the company; that to me is a frivolous suit.

As far as I remember, no employee spilled the coffee on her; she spilled it on herself. While I'm sorry for her injuries, how in the world could she blame anyone but herself? If she had spilled coffee on herself at home, who could she blame? The stove manufacturer for making the coffee so hot? Lawyers take all kinds of cases, no matter how frivolous! Don't you love 'em? [emoticon]

You might consider goggling "McDonalds hot coffee case" After reading the facts of the case, you might not consider the case frivolous.

In short McDonalds knew for many years the were keeping their coffee near scalding, and that it was causing injuries. They ignored it,

Not trying to be snarky at all, just saying the facts and urban legend are very different

OK, I'll concede. I wasn't aware of some of the particulars in the case. Just going by memory, and memories are fallible. My thoughts were: people spill hot liquids on themselves every day, and no lawsuit ensues. Evidently, there were mitigating factors in the McDonalds case I wasn't aware of. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So... apparently there will now need to be a warning on Gorilla Glue stating that it is not intended to be used for hair:

Do not use Gorilla Glue for hair

ON EDIT:

I was PM'd indicating link might not be working.

This is the raw link to the tik-tok video, try selecting and right-click to open in new tab:
https://www.tiktok.com/foryou?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1#/@im_d_ollady/video/6925174778387025157

* This post was last edited 02/10/21 04:44pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

You might consider goggling "McDonalds hot coffee case" After reading the facts of the case, you might not consider the case frivolous.

In short McDonalds knew for many years the were keeping their coffee near scalding, and that it was causing injuries. They ignored it,

Ok so I'm 70 years old.
I recall when I came to Detroit for the 3rd time, Courtesy of Uncle Sam (Had to stay 3 days before they concluded I was not fit for military service.. which bothered me cause I wanted to join the air force, but that is not the story here)

I would often get lunch at a corner "Quckiee Donut Shop" where they drew coffee from a Steam Jacket type coffee maker. This is a "Double Boiler" system where the outer jacket holds water "At the boil" (211 degrees) and the inner tank holds the coffee.

At that time the Coffee institute said 211 was the proper temp to hold the coffee at.. And I believe they were right .

Then suddenly the steam jackets were gone the Institute was claiming something like 170 and the quality of the coffee in restaurants... Dropped.

As a Coffee-holic.. I miss those old steam jackets.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we should remove some of the warning labels and let natural selection take over with some of these folks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Unnecessary Warnings Shown on Products
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.