Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Unnecessary Warnings Shown on Products
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Unnecessary Warnings Shown on Products

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite was on a snack food I bought from a vending machine at work one day. Feeling a little hungry so I bought a bag of roasted peanuts. Standing there snacking on my peanuts, I start reading the back of the bag. Right there in bold letters "CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS." Now it wasn't necessarily the warning that disturbed me, it was the "MAY" part. Of course, then I start wondering who sued the peanut company for putting peanuts in a bag of peanuts without a warning label...

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry - peanut allergies are not funny.

But completely freakzoid dumb that EVERY product that might have possibly had a contact with a peanut needs that label. As you said, even peanuts and peanut butter.

People with allergies have to take precautions, but also some responsibility.

Then again, I'm reminded of a grandson with a serious lactose issue. He could end up with bleeding in his stomach from something like pizza cheese. When he was 4 to 6, the little twerp would sneak into the fridge and get cheese. He did not get the association.

Lucky the brat did not end up with serious life threatening reactions before he finally figured out his mom was right.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry - peanut allergies are not funny.

I don't think that was the intent. It's just absolutely absurd to put a warning label on a bag of peanuts that it may contain peanuts!

People with allergies have to take precautions, but also some responsibility.

Yes, indeed. I am allergic to cooking sherry. If I consider ordering anything with a sauce or "special ingredients" I always ask there is sherry in it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Razor with a charging cord that has a tag on it that shows a scissors cutting the cord with a cross through it indicating that you should not cut the cord with scissors.[emoticon]

Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

images wrote:

I have a Razor with a charging cord that has a tag on it that shows a scissors cutting the cord with a cross through it indicating that you should not cut the cord with scissors.[emoticon]

Done that - kind of, ran a lawnmower over an extension cord. Thankfully it only knocked me flat. If it had damaged the mower I still might not be able to sit down. Dad was not happy about that.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about the "Do not eat" warning on Desiccant Packets in every med prescription, and Many Foods. Poison, Right? Wrong the contents are not necessarily harmful, the warning is there because it MAY be a choking hazard, it may also NOT be. [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding that McDonald's lawsuit mentioned earlier by Paw Paw 'n Gram,
where a lady spilled hot coffee on herself and sued the company; that to me is a frivolous suit.

As far as I remember, no employee spilled the coffee on her; she spilled it on herself. While I'm sorry for her injuries, how in the world could she blame anyone but herself? If she had spilled coffee on herself at home, who could she blame? The stove manufacturer for making the coffee so hot? Lawyers take all kinds of cases, no matter how frivolous! Don't you love 'em? [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Regarding that McDonald's lawsuit mentioned earlier by Paw Paw 'n Gram,
where a lady spilled hot coffee on herself and sued the company; that to me is a frivolous suit.

As far as I remember, no employee spilled the coffee on her; she spilled it on herself. While I'm sorry for her injuries, how in the world could she blame anyone but herself? If she had spilled coffee on herself at home, who could she blame? The stove manufacturer for making the coffee so hot? Lawyers take all kinds of cases, no matter how frivolous! Don't you love 'em? [emoticon]

You might consider goggling "McDonalds hot coffee case" After reading the facts of the case, you might not consider the case frivolous.

In short McDonalds knew for many years the were keeping their coffee near scalding, and that it was causing injuries. They ignored it,

Not trying to be snarky at all, just saying the facts and urban legend are very different

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the current environment where there's always someone to blame, or at least there's always deep pockets to go after, "unnecessary" warnings are a cost of doing business. Any degree of sense, much less common sense, might render the warnings unneeded, but they are in place probably 90% for the initial defense in lawsuits and only 10% to actually provide a warning about the product.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While McDonalds and other similar coffee venders, even places like Starbucks have no modified their standards.

They have required the manufacturers to provide better temperature control on the coffee makers.

Also a key part was that the cup the coffee was served in was extremely flimsy, and known to not be able to hold its shape when picked up after a few minutes of having the hot coffee inside.

A lot of very interesting reading, and no one can say her injury was unique, or not preventable some lost cost changes in the process and employee training.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Unnecessary Warnings Shown on Products
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.