cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Supercharged 7.3 gasohol F-250 4x4 towing 15K trailer etc

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
TFL Truck is invited by 5 Star tuning to test supercharged 7.3 F two fitty. Dyno runs, 0-60mph, 15000lbs trailer towing...

TFL tests 5 Star F-250
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rjstractor wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
It must just be the irresistible need for antagonism speaking.
It's a custom hot rod and a cool one at that...that will also tow well.

Nailed it! Always fun to stir the pot a little. It would also be super fun to run around in that big sleeper, giving the occasional big surprise to various V8 muscle cars and tuner boys in imports!

Oh yeah!
That truck is like a reverse mullet. Party in front, business in the back!
Wonder what the trap times are on that big rig at 600+ Hp?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
It must just be the irresistible need for antagonism speaking.

Nailed it! Always fun to stir the pot a little. It would also be super fun to run around in that big sleeper, giving the occasional big surprise to various V8 muscle cars and tuner boys in imports!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will say that a 3.5EB should be more reliable than a supercharged 7.3. The 3.5 is designed to be a boosted engine with the correct compression ratio and it's pistons are similar to diesel engine pistons with steel liners casted in for the ring lands. The super charged 7.3 probably doesn't have ideal compression for boost and doesn't have steel ring lands in the pistons for long term durability.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Still whining about the exhaust manifold eh?

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Specta said--That's why I would never buy a V-6 Ecoboost to tow with.

My 3.5l EB does not get hot when pulling long hills. I admit that I am only pulling 5000 pounds of trailer and stuff. I have pulled over the Beartooth Highway (east to west and west to east), up the west side of 14A from Lovell WY to Burgess Junction, the Ike, Million Dollar Highway (both ways) Wolf Creek Pass and one near Ashville that I can't remember the highway and many more.
My tranny temp never went above 215 degrees and the coolant gauge never moved more than a couple of degrees and I was running the air conditioning most of the time.
Another myth that most people mistakenly believe is that you have to wind a EB up to make power. The engine makes almost full HP and torque starting at 1800 rpms. I have never gone over 3500 rpms except during motor braking.
My only problem is that I am waiting for a new exhaust manifold and it is back ordered. The dealership that has done all of my work will not install an aftermarket unit.
I use tow/haul all the time when towing.
My 2011 has 206,000 miles and we have pulled all over the country multiple times and will be heading out again to the Rockies.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rjstractor wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Having ran huffers on a couple of old tech built for towing 454/460 one ton drw trucks in commercial service in the '70s heat was a engine killer.
This is 40+ year newer tech but I would like to see a actual towing test up the IKe and see how the belt driven huffer and other mods deals with excess heat through the engine/tranny. See what actual temps are like working heavy rather than a drag race.

I was wondering the same, was thinking that motor would really heat up from a long hard pull. With that much power it should easily complete a "full pull" with the 15K trailer up the Ike (60 mph the whole way) but could the cooling system exchange that much heat? And it would be fun to snicker at the abysmal mpg.

Idk what all would need to be done with the cooling system (or maybe even internally, larger water jackets, etc) but this isn't 40 years ago and there are already vehicles putting down this much or more power and pickup trucks built to tow that are making just as much heat, so I'd say the cooling system is easily doable.
BUT this truck isn't built to tow. It's not even on the radar as a real tow rig, nor would it likely be anytime in the foreseeable future. But you guys already know that. It must just be the irresistible need for antagonism speaking.
Any new diesel will still eat this blown 7.3 for lunch, up a hill.

He!!, I remember actually doing an Ike test, on the Ike, with my buddy who had just installed a TRD blower on his 5.7 Tundra. He was bragging about it having 500hp! (which in fairness "was" a big deal 10-15 years ago). Asked how much hp my truck had. It was a LB7 Duramax with just a tuner. Told him a little over 400hp. I was running level 4 which was supposedly a 120hp tune on the 300hp stock engine. I didn't want to scatter the trans on L 5 or 6.
He said his 500hp tundra was going to wax the Chevy. He had a 2 place open sled trailer with 1 sled on it, so maybe 1500lbs total trailer. I had a 3 place enclosed with 2 sleds in it, so maybe 3000lbs total.
We hit it both ways on our trip to ride that day. The long 7% stretch going up Eastbound from Silverthorne to the tunnel and the shorter Westbound steep area at the bottom of the climb Wet of Georgetown.
My 400hp/800ftlb diesel left his 500/500 Tundra like a bad habit up the hill!
And his truck was a TRD with 3.91 gears. I was running 3.73s in the Dirtymax.

It's virtually the same comparison between the blown 7.3 and a new diesel pickup.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Having ran huffers on a couple of old tech built for towing 454/460 one ton drw trucks in commercial service in the '70s heat was a engine killer.
This is 40+ year newer tech but I would like to see a actual towing test up the IKe and see how the belt driven huffer and other mods deals with excess heat through the engine/tranny. See what actual temps are like working heavy rather than a drag race.

I was wondering the same, was thinking that motor would really heat up from a long hard pull. With that much power it should easily complete a "full pull" with the 15K trailer up the Ike (60 mph the whole way) but could the cooling system exchange that much heat? And it would be fun to snicker at the abysmal mpg.

The engine will only use as much fuel as needed to do the work. Take a look at the TFL video of the Ram TRX (700hp ?) and the Ford Raptor (EcoBoost) on I70 with the same trailers at the same time. The mpg was surprising. Itโ€™s only a guess but it wouldnโ€™t surprise me if the programming can be set to protect the engine from a pilot trying to tow 15k at 94mph up a 10mile 8% grade.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

That's why I would never buy a V-6 Ecoboost to tow with.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œMistersโ€ as in H2O injected into the intake or oiler squirting up into the cylinders to cool the piston bottoms ?

Am still noodling what my 7.4L Suburban will be built to.

Have tossed out exhaust turbo and supercharger, but the serpentine belt driven, centrifugal turbo is of interest...if there is enough room

Not looking for 1/4 mile or zero to 60MPH, but high altitude relief...though wonโ€™t mind better boy racer attributes ...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Were those old trucks running roots blowers that came off a Detroit 2-stroke?

Jeeze I don't remember its been too many years. The builder was engine builder Bob Creitz from Creitz & Greer then Creitz & Donovan AA/fuel drag teams from that era. He built the 454/460 motors for team members pulling around the country till they could afford a OTR tractor/trailer. I was able to get two of them with low miles. They put down the power pulling heavy GN trailers but internal heat even running 2 misters was a issue on long all day runs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Were those old trucks running roots blowers that came off a Detroit 2-stroke?

The fastlane F250 uses a centrifugal blower, essentially a belt driven turbo. They're much more efficient. I wonder if the 7.3 uses the same transmission as the diesel, that'll tell us how much reserve it has.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Maxing out an F250 to show a powerful engine. Why?

Why not??
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.