cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide topper noise dampening

roaminaround
Explorer
Explorer
Question for those who have slide toppers. Rain, especially heavy rain is extremely loud on the roof of our slides. Much more so than our previous rig. Keeps us awake on rainy nights. How much will slide toppers dampen rain noise?
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8
27 REPLIES 27

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
On rare occasions when we're expecting prolonged high winds I toss a small poly rope over the length of our super slide topper and secure it underneath with a bungee cord. As far as leaves, twigs, snow, etc., accumulating on the topper, I've never had a problem with it dropping off as the topper rolls up. No rooftop trips to clean the topper needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have yet to see the need.
If I will need beach balls and rope to tame the toppers why bother?
Never seen the need, nor the need to clean the tops of the slides when camping in the trees, or clean up the water that came in with a wet slide, or turn the fan on high because the heat generated by the sunshine on the slide is pretty darned warm, or cleaned up the water when the ice on the slide melted when the slide was brought in.

But did do all those things on the first trailer we had without slide toppers. Oops, forgot to list the problems with them...hmm, can't think of any. ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, my dad used to say the same thing about indoor plumbing, but after he had it you couldn't have pried him out of it. He admitted it was the best thing since sliced bread, and he couldn't believe he waited so long.

There are plenty of people who use beach balls and
/or rope with their toppers. I did not just make that up.
As far as leaves and debris. if there bad bad which it seldom is I'll blow them off with a leaf blower. I may have lots of leaves on top once or twice a year, certainly not every trip.

Some people took their indoor plumbing a step further and added a bidet. We are fine with a regular old toilet.;)

I have never seen anyone using flappers or deviced on there slide toppers in 30 years of RVing. but I have been camping in the same sites as people who dont have them and in the morning when it was time to leave all I had to do it bring in the slides then have a coffee while they pulled out ladders and cleaned all the tree droppings off there slides....

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Never seen the need, nor the need to clean the tops of the slides when camping in the trees, or clean up the water that came in with a wet slide, or turn the fan on high because the heat generated by the sunshine on the slide is pretty darned warm, or cleaned up the water when the ice on the slide melted when the slide was brought in.

But did do all those things on the first trailer we had without slide toppers. Oops, forgot to list the problems with them...hmm, can't think of any. ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, my dad used to say the same thing about indoor plumbing, but after he had it you couldn't have pried him out of it. He admitted it was the best thing since sliced bread, and he couldn't believe he waited so long.

There are plenty of people who use beach balls and
/or rope with their toppers. I did not just make that up.
As far as leaves and debris. if there bad bad which it seldom is I'll blow them off with a leaf blower. I may have lots of leaves on top once or twice a year, certainly not every trip.

Some people took their indoor plumbing a step further and added a bidet. We are fine with a regular old toilet.;)
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
They are a classic example of someone coming up with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. They are just one more thing that costs money & need maintaining & repairing.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Our Cherokee 274vfk has a superslide with a slide topper. We've never had any wind noise from the topper.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Our first fiver did not have a topper, our motor home did and now our present fiver does. We stay on Hatteras Island about three months a year where the wind is almost constantly blowing. They are not an issue and yes, compared to our previous fiver they do keep the rain from pounding right over your head when you sleep. I would not want a slide without them. If your spring is tight flapping is a non issue.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
And IME, many of the posters who comment on the flapping issue of slide toppers, don't even have them, they just have read or heard about it.

I wouldn't be without them, and I've never noticed the wind being an issue.

12 years with them ,1 year without. But yes most naysayers have never had them, I get the same noise about the Andersen hitch ,its what they have read or heard ,never towed an inch with one :B

Back to the subject, not sure I have any desire to get the slide toppers put on the present fifth wheel we have now, haven't seen any need so far. As far as the noise of the rain ,as said can't see a difference ,but they are two different fifth wheels . My long term stay in Montana ,there is trees, so I got up on top to check them. Nothing there to worry about, so that in itself is something I didn't have to do before, but not that big of deal. Time will tell .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
My thought is slide toppers create as many problems as they solve.

Never had the desire to tame them, also I guess we were not in enough strong winds to damage them in the 12 years we had them on our previous fifth wheel. My present fifth wheel does not have them, and so far I haven't missed them.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My thought is slide toppers create as many problems as they solve.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
For me the flapping noise is also a concern for the awning to rip. We have pulled our slide in on occasion during severe winds and one time the next day noticed a few destroyed slide toppers...eek it happens. This was in Laughlin Nevada..
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
TUCQUALA wrote:
Flapping noise, flapping noise!! So many make such a big deal about toppers and wind noise. Yes it can happen, mostly on very large slides. Big deal!! No damage, just a bit of noise!! If it's that windy, you'll be hearing the wind and other sounds outside of the rv anyway!! Our main slide topper is 169" long, and, yes, it does "flap" occasionally. Doesn't bother us, and it sure doesn't bother the woodland creatures!! So many noise "police" out there in their rvs!

Sorry for the rant, but had to let off steam!! Any slide topper topic always has the NOISE'rs come out of their shells.

I think someone needs a Snickers.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
We had slide toppers before they rotted away. After a few years of not having them i noticed more pros to cons in staying toppless. No flapping in wind and easy access to the slide seals and the top of the slide itself were the pros. Haven't noticed any cons yet.
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
And IME, many of the posters who comment on the flapping issue of slide toppers, don't even have them, they just have read or heard about it.

I wouldn't be without them, and I've never noticed the wind being an issue.
X-2
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund