Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas coast winter stay

74vette
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
Looking at RV parks along gulf coast of Texas for winter of 2021. Interested in an area for fishing and kayaking. On the beach or walking distance to beach. Need full hookups for travel trailer. We have been wintering in Arizona for past 7 years and looking for a new winter destination. Any suggestions appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
The beach is more crowed around Port A.
But on the upside they have several miles of paddle trails in this area.

More to do around Rockport and Port A.

If you want less crowd better beach and if you are into Birding then The RGV South Padre Island is better. Do not know about paddle trails in this area.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Water RV park in Brazoria. We will be the 3-13/20

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
chris3403 wrote:
valhalla360 I couldn't reply to your post, kept getting Invalid Formatting
We spend 14 winters in Rockport before heading down to Weslaco. Because of Covid our start this year has been delayed.
Ordered anew 5th wheel the first week of Oct but the production line was shut down until the first week of this year. Dealer called me Monday and said it was on the lot and wanted to know when I would like to pick it up so I told him I would be up there tomorrow.
We need about 2 weeks to get ready to leave, wanted to spend a week over at the State Park on Mustang Island but everything was booked solid, however I was able to get 5 days (wanted a few more) over at Goose Island State Park.

For a week we would consider Mustang Island State Park or with a little forethought, beach camping (it's free for up to 3 days but you do need a $12 parking pass for any parking on the beach). Assuming you have 4x4 and put some boards under the trailer wheels, I wouldn't worry too much about getting stuck. There were tons of campers on the beach over Christmas/New Years.

But we were stopping for a month, so we wanted full hook up and services, so we picked Pioneer. There are a few other private parks in the area that all looked good.

Really not much industrial unless you go over to the mainland closer to Corpus. Then again, it's kind of cool to see the big oil rigs in for maintenance.

If you are still going this year, call around. When we left, Pioneer was probably 20-30% empty sites. Things started clearing out after New Years.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 I couldn't reply to your post, kept getting Invalid Formatting
We spend 14 winters in Rockport before heading down to Weslaco. Because of Covid our start this year has been delayed.
Ordered anew 5th wheel the first week of Oct but the production line was shut down until the first week of this year. Dealer called me Monday and said it was on the lot and wanted to know when I would like to pick it up so I told him I would be up there tomorrow.
We need about 2 weeks to get ready to leave, wanted to spend a week over at the State Park on Mustang Island but everything was booked solid, however I was able to get 5 days (wanted a few more) over at Goose Island State Park.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Beaches - this ain't Gulf Shores, Fort Pickens, Myrtle Beach or Daytona. The good beaches are on barrier islands and not strongly developed. More seafront is industrial or wetlands.

A large section of Texas Beaches is part of the Padre Island National Seashore, and open to dry camping, literally on the beach. If you want to chance taking you multi-ton RV onto soft shifting sands.

Texas Beach areas from North to South which is East to West

Sabine Pass (LA border) to Galveston Bay - There is one state park with elec and water. Very isolated. Close to Galveston are two county parks dry camping, and a few commercial parks - never heard anything about the.

Galveston Island - Sandpiper RV Resort has a good reputation, is frequently used and right on the beach. Also on the edge of the retail part of Galveston.

Galveston Island State Park has two campgrounds - one on the beach, one in the bayside back waters.

I've heard good things about some of the county and commercial parks down the island close to Freeport. Never really investigated them.

Galveston is almost too cool for beach front for me in the winter. And bits of oil washed up from tankers dumping / washing out tanks at the legal limit or the offshore oil rigs doesn't make those good beaches in my opinion. Several people disagree with me.

Not many good beaches or accessible RV areas from Freeport to Matagora Bay.

Small cluster of RV parks near Goose Island State Park near beach at Matagora Bay.

Big clusters of RV Parks in Rockport on mainland side of Port Aransas Bay and over to Ingleside on Corpus Christi Bay.

The north end of Padre Island, Mustang Island and Port Aransas have some very nice places - links from above show you the best. The IB Mcgee Nueces County Parks at the Aransas Channel and the Padre Balli County Park are popular at a cheaper rate. They have stay limits and few amenities, which is to be expected for the cheaper rate. Can't find a working link to those now.

From Corpus Christi all the way down to South Padre right near the Mexico border is the Padre Island National Sea Shore. There area couple mainland side RV parks - don't know if they have wetland or sand beaches on the Laguna Madre or Baffin Bay - some near Kingsville - Some at Port Mansfield.

The "BIG" beach park is at the south end of South Padre right on the Brownsville Ship Channel entrance - Isla Blanca - a Cameron County park - with 600 full hook-ups sites, monthly rates in three categories - $550-750 per month. Every site is in walking distance to the beach, or fishing along the Ship Channel. But it is also a very active day use park at the beach area. And of course Isla Blanca is very popular. Interested in winter 21-22 - Call NOW.

There is a nearby KOA, a bit more distant from the swimming beach.

The last beach before the border is Boca Chica. I do not think camping is not allowed there any longer. Space-X has their Starship launch facility there, the public access is closed when they are flying rockets.

I've seen on the web that Isla Blanca is a popular place to watch the test flights. A non-orbit test to space is scheduled any day now, with a return to vertical landing at the launch site planned.

Hopefully without the RUD of the last landing. (RUD - Rapid Unplanned Disassembly)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
chris3403 wrote:
I would suggest the Corpus Christi area and if I could afford it I would stay here but I Can't Afford it..
Down the road about 5 miles and a more reasonable price is This One. Both of the above parks are as close to the beach as you can get plus both have bay water close by for the kayaks.
I wasn't allowed to post the link because of a formatting problem however I would do a Google search with the following words. Port Aransas RV Parks. Any of those parks should work for you.

We are down in the RGV now but just spent a month in Port Aransas (Corpus area but on the beach).

Pioneer (see link in prior post) is where we stayed. It was quite nice and reasonably reasonably priced. They are on the beach. In normal years, they have plenty of activities (Of course, this year things were odd). This is not a dedicated old folks park so you will see younger folks/families but no issues.

You can beach fish or lots of backwaters and bays for kayaking and fishing.

We have been thru Arizona but the brown get depressing after a couple weeks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest the Corpus Christi area and if I could afford it I would stay here but I Can't Afford it..
Down the road about 5 miles and a more reasonable price is This One. Both of the above parks are as close to the beach as you can get plus both have bay water close by for the kayaks.
I wasn't allowed to post the link because of a formatting problem however I would do a Google search with the following words. Port Aransas RV Parks. Any of those parks should work for you.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
74vette wrote:
Hello
Looking at RV parks along gulf coast of Texas for winter of 2021. Interested in an area for fishing and kayaking. On the beach or walking distance to beach. Need full hookups for travel trailer. We have been wintering in Arizona for past 7 years and looking for a new winter destination. Any suggestions appreciated.

Use Good Sam RV Parks application to search.