Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gluten Free Pizza Ideas

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy All,
After many years of being sick most of the time we finally figured out that I can't eat gluten. Problem is we both love pizza and it has plenty of gluten in the crust.
We've tried almost every GF pizza crust and frozen pizza in our area. There are some really horrible pizza crust and frozen pizzas on the market. So far the best pizza crust mix we've found is the Bob's Red Mill. The best frozen pizza is Freschetta. We've tried making the crust with cauliflower with some success.
We love to make pizza while we are camping and recently bought a new grill that we'd like to cook pizza on. Anyone else here have to eat gluten free and have some ideas for great pizza ?
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
7 REPLIES 7

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I like to make my own pizzas, and have found that Udi's ready made gluten-free pizza crusts are
my favorite.

Here are the ingredients:

WATER, TAPIOCA STARCH, BROWN RICE FLOUR, CANOLA OIL, EGG WHITES, DRIED CANE SYRUP, TAPIOCA SYRUP.

I'ver tried cauliflower crusts, and am usually disappointed.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use Oggis' cauliflower crusts. They are really good and are gluten free. Surprisingly they don't have an overpowering cauliflower taste and the texture is dough like.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
We make our own pizza ..... using large tortillas. Since we prefer the creamy white base, we use ranch salad dressing. Plenty of toppings choices. All these products are readily available Gluten free.

Interesting. We'll have to give that a try with some corn tortillas.

We make pizza a few times with no crust in a casserole dish. Put the meat on the bottom, then the sauce and cheese. It wasn't to bad.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Gluten-free is tough. Mixes that work well for muffins don't work at all for bread or pizza dough.

When you eliminate gluten you're eliminating the structure. Most mixes try to make this up by using gums and certain starches and it will never be like conventional pizza crust.

I've used Cup4Cup with some success. https://www.cup4cup.com/recipes/new-pizza-crust-recipe/ Roll it out with a rolling pin on parchment, bake blind for about 3 minutes, allow to cool, then build like any other pizza. This crust is more like a cracker, but it's 1000x better than cauliflower or rice as a crust.

I cook professionally and we offer a GF pizza as well as a vegan pizza, and we tried many iteration of each before finding a reasonable formulas.

Sorry to hear about your celiac, it's a difficult thing to manage and most people think it's OK to has less gluten, but celiacs can't have ANY gluten. None. If a gluten-free pizza is cooked in the same oven as a traditional pizza, it's contaminated. It's the same with other items as well, and a traditional bakery can never offer truly gluten-free items. There's just too much gluten floating around and on the equipment.

Best of luck. I'm a pizza fanatic and I've been tossing pizza (and other things!) professionally for more than 25 years. Watch out for soy sauce, it has gluten. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That's for the link. We'll give that one a try.
You're right that most folks don't understand about the cross contamination thing. It's okay. I didn't either until recently. We've just adjusted here at home and we didn't really eat out much anyway.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The Docs tried the GF program with m"lady, and we tried some pizzas, Papa Johns was the best we found.
Searching for copycat recipe i did find the pizza hut one
http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2013/03/pizza-hut-style-pan-pizza-crust-gluten.html

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
We make our own pizza ..... using large tortillas. Since we prefer the creamy white base, we use ranch salad dressing. Plenty of toppings choices. All these products are readily available Gluten free.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Gluten-free is tough. Mixes that work well for muffins don't work at all for bread or pizza dough.

When you eliminate gluten you're eliminating the structure. Most mixes try to make this up by using gums and certain starches and it will never be like conventional pizza crust.

I've used Cup4Cup with some success. https://www.cup4cup.com/recipes/new-pizza-crust-recipe/ Roll it out with a rolling pin on parchment, bake blind for about 3 minutes, allow to cool, then build like any other pizza. This crust is more like a cracker, but it's 1000x better than cauliflower or rice as a crust.

I cook professionally and we offer a GF pizza as well as a vegan pizza, and we tried many iteration of each before finding a reasonable formulas.

Sorry to hear about your celiac, it's a difficult thing to manage and most people think it's OK to has less gluten, but celiacs can't have ANY gluten. None. If a gluten-free pizza is cooked in the same oven as a traditional pizza, it's contaminated. It's the same with other items as well, and a traditional bakery can never offer truly gluten-free items. There's just too much gluten floating around and on the equipment.

Best of luck. I'm a pizza fanatic and I've been tossing pizza (and other things!) professionally for more than 25 years. Watch out for soy sauce, it has gluten. ๐Ÿ˜ž