Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Build my TV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Build my TV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point, I wish people considered engine power when recommending gear ratios. 20 years ago, if you tow you got a 4.10. But 20 yrs ago diesels were barely breaking 500 lb-ft, AND, the transmissions had much crappier ratios.

With 1000+ lb-ft engines, your rear axle torque is doubled compared to a 2001 Cummins / 7.3 PSD. Would anyone have recommended a 7.46 rear end (3.73 x 2) back in 2001 for towing an 16k 5th wheel?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

bc-00044 wrote:

Upgrading from a 27'TT to a 41' 5er. Obviously now also need to trade in my TV for something more capable.
Relying on the collective wisdom of this group for guidance. I do not have any strong brand loyalty beyond american made -- concerned about driving experience, ride comfort, towing capacity for the quoted trailer, and reliability. Make your proposals.
Pretty well set on a diesel, but convince me if I am wrong.
Trailer is 40' UVW 14344 lbs

I agree with going with a diesel and if "American Made" is your requirement (It's my requirement as well) then GM and Ford is your excellent choices.

Well FISH what about the life of the truck the 6.7 PS that's Made in Mexico???????

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Heck, I actually looked for a Ram with a Japanese Transmission (Aisin)."

The AISIN is Made in USA.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

The MOPAR filter I just got from Geno’s says made in Japan.. It is a
great transmission so what does it matter.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

The MOPAR filter I just got from Geno’s says made in Japan.. It is a
great transmission so what does it matter.

Just stating where it's made. The transmission says Manufactured In USA right on it. Same with the Borg Warner transfer case.

[image]

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

bc-00044 wrote:

Upgrading from a 27'TT to a 41' 5er. Obviously now also need to trade in my TV for something more capable.
Relying on the collective wisdom of this group for guidance. I do not have any strong brand loyalty beyond american made -- concerned about driving experience, ride comfort, towing capacity for the quoted trailer, and reliability. Make your proposals.

I agree with going with a diesel and if "American Made" is your requirement (It's my requirement as well) then GM and Ford is your excellent choices.

Well FISH what about the life of the truck the 6.7 PS that's Made in Mexico???????

The OP wants an American made truck that means only Ford and GM fit's the bill and that's how I roll as well. Perhaps you can sing to the choir who will purchase a foreign built truck from a foreign company that's controlled in Europe that don't reflect our values like your Ram product.

Built for America

[image]

* This post was edited 01/22/21 06:43pm by FishOnOne *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

bc-00044 wrote:

The OP wants an American made truck that means only Ford and GM fit's the bill and that's how I roll as well. Perhaps you can sing to the choir who will purchase a foreign built truck from a foreign company that's controlled in Europe that don't reflect our values like your Ram product.

Built for America

[image]

Interesting Ford has a HD truck assembled in the USA with an engine built in Mexico.
Ram has a HD truck assembled in Mexico with an engine built in the USA

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

bc-00044 wrote:

Built for America

[image]

Interesting Ford has a HD truck assembled in the USA with an engine built in Mexico.
Ram has a HD truck assembled in Mexico with an engine built in the USA

...And who owns Volvo Trucks?

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Park the big three dually one tons next to each other, have someone blindfold you and sit in each truck. Whichever seat fits you the best, buy that one.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

bc-00044 wrote:

Built for America

[image]

I think the GM only fits his bill. Still evading the BIG part of the truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Build my TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.