cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The weight issue again

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke to a woman who was refused at permit at Mexicali because her GVWR door sticker was 7800 lbs. As we know, it's supposed to be cargo capacity, not GVWR, but some crossings are still doing this. I also had 2 reports of the same thing happening at La Paz. We have an Airstream caravan crossing next Jan in Baja then crossing on the ferry at La Paz. Having a bunch of them refused permits at La Paz would be a disaster. I know this can probably be resolved by doing them on line, but the last time we tried that we had 2 rigs that never got their permits.

So my idea is to take them to organ pipe, have them go down get permits and tourist cards south of Sonoyta then cross back into the US and drive to the Tecate crossing. They can probably do that leaving their trailers behind at Organ Pipe. So my question is, has anyone had issues getting permits on 3/4 or 1 ton pickups at km 21 south of Lukeville? I think some of the newer 1/2 tons may be over 7710 GVWR.
13 REPLIES 13

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Very true. I worked in the public sector for 40 plus years. People are quick to condemn and very slow to praise. I've changed tires, pulled vehicles out of ditches, found missing children, boosted thousands of batteries - in other words gone out of my way to help people. Very few, like half a percent took the time to write a note of thanks or contact my supervisor. On the other hand when the public is dissatisfied they don't hesitate to complain - in writing. Often times the complaints are embellished for greater effect.
It beats one down. I like people and turn the other cheek but working for an ungrateful public beats most people down to the point that they stop making an extra effort and just do their jobs.
Unfortunately that's the human condition.

Talleyho69
That is something that I think many of us forget to do: Thank the less than friendly people who are just doing their jobs. None of us like to be put through the mill, but it's part of crossing a border. We are so fortunate that crossing is as easy as it is.

My sweetie always took out his earrings, we approached the border without sunglasses, passports out the window and remembering to only answer questions that were asked. That was always hard for me.

I also had the pet paperwork in my hand but didn't offer it unless asked.

They have a tough job that I would not be willing to do. They are trying to protect us.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
My US border reentry has been nothing but pleasant and efficient every time. I always make a point to thank the officer for doing that job - after the officer says I can proceed.
Canada, on the other hand has accusatory,suspicious and bureaucratic.
It's a tough job they do ...

Talleyho69
For many many years we stopped there going south or north. Once we got rousted by rude customs agents that seemed to think that we hadn't entered the US legally.

Besides that, until we moved here (Zihuatanejo) permanently, that was our crossing of choice.

If Gringo Pass, the name of the RV park that may not be open now, and I think it isn't, the National Park without hookups at Organ Pipe National Park is very well situated, is in a fabulous, scenic location and only about 8 miles north of the border.

Honestly, it's one of the best places to cross the border either way. Yes, you need to consider not crossing on a weekend if you are going north, and in the long past, pet paperwork going south, but it was our go to crossing for almost 30 years.

It gets a vote from us!!! Moderator

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
For several years we would spend the afternoon and night before crossing the border at Lukeville/ Sonoyta!
There is or was an old and quite run down but serviceable RV Park on the east side of the highway called Gringo Pass! Sometimes we were charged a small fee and other times not!
There was plenty of space for everyone in our group who stopped there, the park probably held 300 units in its headey!

It’s quite visible on Google Earth and Maps!

As stated it’s run down and May now be inaccessible Today!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Talleyho69
It seems to go back and forth through the years.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
rswzz wrote:
In answer to your original question, I have always crossed at Lukeville/Sonoyta and get my permits at San Emeterio Aduana (20 km east of Sonoyta) en-route to San Carlos. Last trip down (Nov 2019), I was driving a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with a 9200 GVWR. I have never had a problem getting permits. I am always pulling my fifth wheel so I can't speak about any problems concerning getting the trailer permit without it being with you. I do recall that they were using a digital camera to take photo's of the window VIN tag and Door sticker on the tow vehicle and I do recall them photographing the VIN tag on my Trailer. Also note that as of Nov 2019 they did not issue Tourist Visa's at San Emeterio but you had to get it at the border crossing. I have always stopped at Why Az the day before and I would drive down to the border and walk across to pick up my Tourist visa ahead of time. There is virtually no parking on the Mexican side of the border crossing for a single rig, much less a group.

Yes I remember that hassle, I thought they were maybe issuing them at the permit place further south by now.

rswzz
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to your original question, I have always crossed at Lukeville/Sonoyta and get my permits at San Emeterio Aduana (20 km east of Sonoyta) en-route to San Carlos. Last trip down (Nov 2019), I was driving a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with a 9200 GVWR. I have never had a problem getting permits. I am always pulling my fifth wheel so I can't speak about any problems concerning getting the trailer permit without it being with you. I do recall that they were using a digital camera to take photo's of the window VIN tag and Door sticker on the tow vehicle and I do recall them photographing the VIN tag on my Trailer. Also note that as of Nov 2019 they did not issue Tourist Visa's at San Emeterio but you had to get it at the border crossing. I have always stopped at Why Az the day before and I would drive down to the border and walk across to pick up my Tourist visa ahead of time. There is virtually no parking on the Mexican side of the border crossing for a single rig, much less a group.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
You misunderstood Paul. Itis the Mexican official that is m isinterpreting the door sticker. They are looking at gvwr and calling that the gross weight. This has been the problem for a few years.

What a mess.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Moishe & Rich, I know all of that, Its confusing and the SAT regs distinctly say cargo capacity, so does the Banjercito site. IN SPANISH. Unfortunately in their English version its says GVWR. (note misspelling as well of GVWR) Compare the 2 screenshots below.

Rich yes GVWR includes all those things and that is the maximum allowed by the manufacturer. GVW is the actual weight at any given time. Cargo capacity is GVWR - Curb weight.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You misunderstood Paul. Itis the Mexican official that is m isinterpreting the door sticker. They are looking at gvwr and calling that the gross weight. This has been the problem for a few years.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your spelling Paul - something is off. GVWR includes passengers, payload, fuel, etc. - GVWR does is not the payload rating.
The GVWR on my F350 dually is 14,000 lbs.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That might work but January 2022 is a ways off.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad