cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford super duty 3.31 rear end. Will it be a big mistake. ?

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 37 foot Cedar creek with a f350. Diesel. Would the 3.31 rear end work or should I get the 3.55?
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
80 REPLIES 80

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
blofgren wrote:

If you Ford guys towed with a Cummins you would be absolutely amazed.....I usually have to give my truck some throttle when descending BC passes when pulling my 16k fiver loaded for a 3 week trip. And no cruise control or automatic braking of the service brakes.

but then we would be seen in a Dodge ๐Ÿ˜‰ when I bought my 2014 (in 2016) I tried out all the big three, dodge was actoula on the bottom of my list. rode rouch, and felt very enimic driving around town. I am sure it pulls like a freight train but it just wasnt a fun or nice driving experiance to me.

the biggest thing is the fords never had an "exhaust brake" untill the 2015 model, before then it was just using the VV turbo which works but not near as good as a real exhaust brake. My VVT will hold 14000lbs of 5th wheel going down the coq and I only have to tap the brakes two or three times at the big hill before the tunnels traveling from kamloops to van. my buddy has a 2017 and a bit heavier of a trailer and he sets his cruise and doesnt touch his brakes all the way unless trafic is slower.

Steve

With all due respect, I think your research was a bit lacking; the last Dodge truck was produced in 2012. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Since 2013, the Ford truck doesn't have anything over the Ram; in fact the 2013-2016 Rams were much improved over the Super Duties of the same era.

I see that the blue Koolaid is still having it's effect on people. I too was guilty of it with my previous 3 trucks being Fords and me being a die-hard Ford man; I bought the truck in my signature new and realized all I was missing with blind brand loyalty. :B

it was brand new models in 2016 I was comparing a ram is a dodge ( why the dealership say Dodge Ram, not just Ram) but if you want to split hairs ok. no koolaid here, but sounds like you might be on it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
On the way home stopped at a Ram dealer ,they had the one I bought on their lot . I didn't get out of their parking lot test driving it ,and decided I liked everything about it . Except the mirrors :B

After ordering my 2021 F350 I stopped in and test drove the Ram. There is some things I really like about it but I certainly get the not liking the mirrors......especially after owning a Ford. I canโ€™t hardly believe Ram doesnโ€™t copy Fordโ€™s mirrors.

You ,and my son would get along good, he has a permanent blue tint to his skin from all that Koolaid :B ๐Ÿ˜›

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
On the way home stopped at a Ram dealer ,they had the one I bought on their lot . I didn't get out of their parking lot test driving it ,and decided I liked everything about it . Except the mirrors :B

After ordering my 2021 F350 I stopped in and test drove the Ram. There is some things I really like about it but I certainly get the not liking the mirrors......especially after owning a Ford. I canโ€™t hardly believe Ram doesnโ€™t copy Fordโ€™s mirrors.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
As far as comparing I did in 2014 , wasnโ€™t that impressed with Ford or Chev . At that time Ram was as impressive as any .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
We have the B&W fan club , the blue oval fan club , itโ€™s time for the Ram fan club ๐Ÿ™‚

cummins2014 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I had a 02 Superduty 7.3 for over 300,000 miles and finally traded it for my favorite truck, a 2016 Ram Laramie Cummins with air rear suspension.:) The Ram is the best riding and driving truck I ever had.
Barney

The Blue Oval Fan Club of course disagrees. Short story here when I bought my 2014 Ram ,I was convinced I wanted the Duramax next , drove one ,didn't like a thing about it . So I thought I would go ahead ,and stay with Ford , offered them the same deal I made with a new 2014 LTZ 3500 Chev crew cab short bed . They couldn't come within 5K of the Chev. On the way home stopped at a Ram dealer ,they had the one I bought on their lot . I didn't get out of their parking lot test driving it ,and decided I liked everything about it . Except the mirrors :B

** TO BE FAIR **

If anyone compared a 2002 to a 2016 anything, they would be impressed, and most likely say the same thing ....

Let's pull back those anti blue oval reigns ! ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I had a 02 Superduty 7.3 for over 300,000 miles and finally traded it for my favorite truck, a 2016 Ram Laramie Cummins with air rear suspension.:) The Ram is the best riding and driving truck I ever had.
Barney

The Blue Oval Fan Club of course disagrees. Short story here when I bought my 2014 Ram ,I was convinced I wanted the Duramax next , drove one ,didn't like a thing about it . So I thought I would go ahead ,and stay with Ford , offered them the same deal I made with a new 2014 LTZ 3500 Chev crew cab short bed . They couldn't come within 5K of the Chev. On the way home stopped at a Ram dealer ,they had the one I bought on their lot . I didn't get out of their parking lot test driving it ,and decided I liked everything about it . Except the mirrors :B

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely correct ,said it on a previous post. The Ford has nothing over on the Ram. The Blue Koolaid is a strong potion :B

I stayed with the 7.3, the early 99 Superduty for nearly 16 years ,bought new in July of 98. When I started thinking about a new truck , there were the 6.0 issues ,then the 6.4 showed up still the issues, then the 6.7 with its HPFP the CP4 issues. And in that time the Koolaid continued to be drank by many ,and many were burned for it . I never fell for it. When 2014 rolled around Ram had their game together ,and have never really looked back.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
blofgren wrote:

If you Ford guys towed with a Cummins you would be absolutely amazed.....I usually have to give my truck some throttle when descending BC passes when pulling my 16k fiver loaded for a 3 week trip. And no cruise control or automatic braking of the service brakes.

but then we would be seen in a Dodge ๐Ÿ˜‰ when I bought my 2014 (in 2016) I tried out all the big three, dodge was actoula on the bottom of my list. rode rouch, and felt very enimic driving around town. I am sure it pulls like a freight train but it just wasnt a fun or nice driving experiance to me.

the biggest thing is the fords never had an "exhaust brake" untill the 2015 model, before then it was just using the VV turbo which works but not near as good as a real exhaust brake. My VVT will hold 14000lbs of 5th wheel going down the coq and I only have to tap the brakes two or three times at the big hill before the tunnels traveling from kamloops to van. my buddy has a 2017 and a bit heavier of a trailer and he sets his cruise and doesnt touch his brakes all the way unless trafic is slower.

Steve

With all due respect, I think your research was a bit lacking; the last Dodge truck was produced in 2012. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Since 2013, the Ford truck doesn't have anything over the Ram; in fact the 2013-2016 Rams were much improved over the Super Duties of the same era.

I see that the blue Koolaid is still having it's effect on people. I too was guilty of it with my previous 3 trucks being Fords and me being a die-hard Ford man; I bought the truck in my signature new and realized all I was missing with blind brand loyalty. :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Folks,
Once again I am going to request that you only quote the person you are responding to instead of just quoting a whole string of posts. We don't need to read or scroll through repeating, redundant posts over and over again. If you are responding to a post immediately above then there is no need to quote at all.

I am going to start deleting posts that have long, repeating, unnecessary quotes in them instead of trying to clean up the posts via editing as I have been doing.

Please be considerate of the members in posting and quoting other members. Thank you!

For more discussion on this topic see this thread I started in 2018.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Its sounding like the Powerstroke is catching up. As said my sons got one coming. He is a blue Koolaid guy, me I have had them all. This Ram I have has done well. To be honest I loved my old 7.3 . If it had the power I needed for the bigger fifth wheel I had , I most likely would still have it. I am far from a new truck every year guy. I had it nearly 16 years , it had low miles 130K , looked like new when I sold it ,have seen it around town a couple times since .

I don't usually get into these truck debates , first off I don't know that much about a lot of the stuff about them. I do all my own maintenance , all the fluids ,brakes etc. I know how to take care of them ,and thats what is important to me . I have found with the exhaust brake on this Cummins ,as said it works best on cruise control ,letting it do its thing , I am usually off ,and on the throttle if I don't use cruise control . The shorter grades its alright , but the long grade ,and no sharp turns ,cruise control ,and let it do its thing .

If you have ever come down to Bull Head City in Arizona from Las Vegas ,that is a long hill that you would really appreciate good exhaust braking , and using cruise control .

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:

I understad all you are saying ,just didn't get you saying I have more tires then me. I have a SRW 3500 Ram Cummins . As said yes ,Ford had no exhaust brake in the earlier Powerstrokes, I am aware of them having one one now , have read many times ,they were no where near as effective as the Cummins , it sounds like they have finally caught up , which is great. I know the benefit of having a good exhaust brake while towing. , or anytime . I run with tow haul ,and exhaust brake on regardless of what I am doing, unless there are slick roads .

Its good to hear the Ford has caught up with a effective exhaust brake ,my son has a new 2021 on order, and plans to be towing a fifth wheel.

People who have run both the new Powestroke and Cummins claim the Cummins has a stronger exhaust brake. I think you need higher engine rpm with the Powerstroke to get the same measure of braking as the Ram. However the 10 speed can be used to give you that higher rpm.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
I have yet to climb a grade with this 6.7 Cummins towing a 38โ€™ and 35โ€™ fifth wheel here in the mountain west wishing I had more power :B

But,... there have likely been plenty of people behind you wishing you had more power.:B

You got that right , I got stuck behind a couple Fords last time out , I would of shown them the power , but the darn 2 lane roads :B