Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

97 Fleetwood Southwind Storm Chassis/house battery wiring

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVers,

I have a 97 Fleetwood Southwind Storm and I have 2 6v house batteries set next to the chassis battery. Like a dork I did not take a photo of the wiring set up before taking the cables off. Now I have set the batteries in series HOWEVER, I have 2 white cables that with every single derivative of connecting the white cables to the house batts (only makes since due to location of cables) there is nothing but problems with the chassis batt now. I have been unable to start using the chassis or the aux start buttons.

1) new batts all around
2) there is one white cable with a 1.7v
3) I have the house batts set to series
4) readings on all batts are correct voltage
5) white cables run from passenger side of engine compartment all the way to the driver side into the drivers side wheel well and back.
6) generator is on the driver side
7) generator will not start but does have power and turns over

Any assistance is greatly needed. Thank you in advance!!!!
13 REPLIES 13

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Chev chassis have a battery wire going straight to the starter. It should come off the chassis battery.
In the battery control center is where the battery disconnect relays are. One is for the power to the ignition and fuses under the dash.
One thing to check, make sure there is no resistance between the grounds on the chassis and battery system. I installed a ground (#4) between the two grounds.
I would suggest marking the cables with marking tape. Grounds should be Black and the positives red. I do not know why RV companies do not mark correctly.
Does your genset start and stop?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
Hi enblethen,

oh I’m sorry I thought I had. I have a Chevy Chassis. I heard the noises for the disconnect before we attached them again. At this point I think its finally figured out with the last update. I am not hearing any boiling over, the volts are on the right numbers. I am so hoping we’ve fixed the problem.

Thank you

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
More apt to be power to the battery disconnect switch.
You didn't say which chassis rig is on.
Is there a battery control panel under the hood on driver's side?
If you were closer I would come by.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
Ok update!
My brother connected the larger wire of the 2 white wires has been connected to the pos side of the house batt and the smaller striped (blue) is connected to the neg of the other house batt. There has been no changes in the chassis batt and with a little jump we got her started. So could these be the trickle charge wires? as we’ve also discovered that the white cables do not go to the generator.

Thank you

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05,

Yes to the question as to the color. They are white. One is 0v and the other 1.7v.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ohm the two cables to ground. If one is 0 ohms then that one is to ground and if the other one is more ohms then to the 12 volts. Or run a trace if you have that tester and see where they go, and go from there.

Can't help on the converter. By any chance are the wires there White.

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen,

Hi again. Just checked the disconnect and yep the noises were there. Sorry bad grammar. Thank you.

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen,

Hi, thank you. The cable comes out of the drivers side of the engine compartment all the way behind the radiator to passenger side to the second house battery. Correct, these 2 cables are not connected and I do not remember how they were connected, and like a dork didn’t photograph because this should have been a 10 minute job. LOL What happens if I don’t hear those noises? I’m on a Chevy chassis. I am in southern Washington outside of Vancouver.

Thank you

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is to loose a cable, as in not connected.
You should hear a little click when battery disconnect is turned off, and a solid clunk when energizing.
What chassis are you on GM or Ford?
What town are you near? Central western or eastern Washington?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

AKLadySmiles
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input! I’m in Southern Washington. Money is very limited and my brother is helping me but he is having the same problems. Our brains together are not doing the job. 🙂

enblethen- what do you mean by a dropped cable? We have also hit the connections to make sure but I will try again.

MountainAir05- i do have them in the correct series orientation. These 2 white wires are additional cables.

Also, I have replaced the converter. Forgot to mention that.

Thank you

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
To wire two 6-volt batteries in series to produce 12-volts, you would connect the load to the positive terminal of battery # 1. Connect the negative terminal of battery # 1 to the positive terminal of battery # 2. Ground the negative terminal of battery # 2.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What part of Washington are you in?
Odds are there is a dropped cable. Another possible item is the battery disconnect is in the off position.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Can you find a mobile tech electrically oriented that can help you troubleshoot? I can try and help you over the phone. Where are you physically located?
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer