Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Saving the Clutch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Saving the Clutch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

If your tow vehicle has standard shift, this suggestion might be a moot point for you.

When I was new to trailer towing with my Dodge 3500 (6 speed manual), I would often encounter a burning smell while maneuvering my fiver into a site. I realized it was probably clutch material burning due to constantly riding the clutch. Somehow it never occurred to me to use 4WD, which would have been much easier on the clutch. The clutch did hold up pretty well for quite a while but eventually needed replacing. Having learned my lesson, I started using 4WD whenever making small maneuvers when towing. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! Would have saved me paying for a new clutch.

Oh well, water under the bridge. Live and learn. [emoticon]

I put a 2WD low kit in my 98 12V allowing the low range but with the rear tires turning. It was an automatic. Made Campsite Parking a breeze.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Good point, but I think you mean 4-low, not just 4x4. Many drivers, unfamiliar with clutch operation, slipped the clutch, even driving a car. I think some just stepped on gas, let engine rev hard, while slowly letting up on the clutch pedal. [emoticon] Used to joke about the fan pulling car forward, until the clutch engagement took over.[emoticon]

Jerry

I get your point, Jerry. I was under the impression that when you put your truck in 4WD, you're automatically in 4 low. I had completely forgotten that there must have been an extra lever for low range; it's been some years since I owed the vehicle. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, as some of you mentioned, when in 4WD low, the vehicle moves in a much different fashion. Because I didn't like that, I decided to remove the front driveshaft since I rarely used 4WD anyway. Anyhow, I later changed my mind and reinstalled the front drive shaft, deciding to live with it when maneuvering at a campsite. That RAM was a good truck, quite a hauler. The one thing I didn't like was the diesel particulate filter system. Anyhow, she did run very well even though there were times I needed to allow the truck to burn off the particulates in the DPF at times. I found I could do that by driving around town for a short while in a lower gear to keep the RPM's up.

* This post was last edited 01/23/21 01:54pm by mr. ed *   View edit history

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

MFL wrote:

Good point, but I think you mean 4-low, not just 4x4. Many drivers, unfamiliar with clutch operation, slipped the clutch, even driving a car. I think some just stepped on gas, let engine rev hard, while slowly letting up on the clutch pedal. [emoticon] Used to joke about the fan pulling car forward, until the clutch engagement took over.[emoticon]

Jerry

I get your point, Jerry. I was under the impression that when you put your truck in 4WD, you're automatically in 4 low. I had completely forgotten that there must have been an extra lever for low range; it's been some years since I owed the vehicle. [emoticon]

No, not AWD, as that is a completely different system. [emoticon] There are lots of different 4WD systems. I think most had 4L, and 4H, but were operated in various ways. About 8 of the new trucks I've purchased had 4x4, but all were 4 high and 4 low capable. Some had neutral transfer case ability for free wheel towing, such as behind a MH.

Jerry

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Roger10378 wrote:

I believe there are kits out there that make it so you can use low without engaging the front axle. This is what makes maneuvering with a manual much easier on the clutch.

This!
I installed a 2-low kit on my 2001 Ram 5 speed manual, made backing very easy on the clutch, could actually have it fully engaged while backing.

I installed one on my 2013 as well and it has made a huge difference. I don't believe that they are available for the 3rd generation Ram/Cummins trucks because of a different engagement system. In 2013 they went back to the axle disconnect which makes the 2 low kit possible again.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Roger10378 wrote:

I believe there are kits out there that make it so you can use low without engaging the front axle. This is what makes maneuvering with a manual much easier on the clutch.

This!
I installed a 2-low kit on my 2001 Ram 5 speed manual, made backing very easy on the clutch, could actually have it fully engaged while backing.

I installed one on my 2013 as well and it has made a huge difference. I don't believe that they are available for the 3rd generation Ram/Cummins trucks because of a different engagement system. In 2013 they went back to the axle disconnect which makes the 2 low kit possible again.

I know this is an older post but...

I sold my motorhome and got a smallish trailer that I'll be pulling with my 1/2 ton GMC. My driveway is steep and there will be some backing as I maneuver it into its spot.

So this is a long way in asking how people like the 2WD LO kit? I got mine from BD Diesel and haven't used it yet. The trailer is at my dad's as I just sold the motorhome yesterday. I'm hoping 2WD low will help with backing and save a lot of stress on the transmission.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my 2 Low kit; I use it every time I back my trailer into tight spots. It is tight getting into my back yard and using the 2 Low feature makes it MUCH easier on the clutch. In the case of an automatic, it will definitely be much less strain on the transmission.

Overall I would say it is one of the best modifications I have done to my truck.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use 4-low a lot...but, hate the stress it puts on the drivetrain. Not fond of the “crow hopping” when in a tight maneuver. There are ways/methods/components to disengage the front drivetrain, it’s only a matter of money.....a goodly portion of it! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

In my Dodge, turning the front wheels is very difficult when the front is engaged. Especially in tight maneuvers.

Get a 4 low disconnect kit. It is well worth the $$$.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friend of mine, his wife loved her manual transmissions, but was burning out clutches every 20k miles. She used to control her speed, by slipping the clutch.

My wifes garage queen, SRT Challenger, I stalled it in front of 50 of my car buddies, took a lot of ribbing on that one. One suggestion learn to drive a manual trans, except my daily drive at the time was a fiesta stick [emoticon] The clutches were SO DIFFERENT, that I just let it out too fast.

I did have fun one day, finished talking to my friend who was parallel parked... and my foot just happened to "slip off the clutch", while tiny bit higher engine RPMs. Silly 275 tires must have hit some water or something on the road [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Saving the Clutch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.