Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Saving the Clutch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Saving the Clutch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

I use 4-low a lot...but, hate the stress it puts on the drivetrain. Not fond of the “crow hopping” when in a tight maneuver. There are ways/methods/components to disengage the front drivetrain, it’s only a matter of money.....a goodly portion of it! memtb

I use 4LO when towing the mile off the "main" road into our boondock site. Not because I couldn't tow it in 4HI or even 2wd, but the road's a bit rocky in spots so this helps me to just creep over the rough spots at idle. As soon as I get past the bad spots, I switch back to 4HI, then 2wd when I'm maneuvering. I also use 4HI on the dirt road coming in, as it's got washboards and, even with the weight of the pin, the back end can hop a bit. Never over about 25 mph for the 4 miles in, and no really sharp turns, so I don't feel that it's putting much stress on things.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the replies.

I don't have 4 miles, but I do have a 500 foot paved driveway that is very steep in spots and one car wide. I need to bring it up top and swing the truck and trailer around. It levels out at the top, but not enough to prevent me from having to maneuver with the trailer on a fairly level spot but with the truck on a steep decline. To make things more interesting the trailer will be parked where I have asphalt millings (a hair better than gravel). I worry about traction so I'm going to try to keep the truck on the pavement as much as possible when getting the trailer in its spot.

I was goofing around with the 2LOW kit today and it works as designed. I have less traction when backing in 2LOW vs. 2HI for whatever reason. I brought the truck down a really steep part of the asphalt millings and it would back itself out in 2WD but with the 2LOW engaged it just dug itself a hole with the left rear tire. I'm not too concerned because I'd never bring anything but the 4WD down there but it's just an observation.

I've over analyzed this situation to death but I think I'm good. I'm bringing the trailer up here on Saturday so wish me luck...

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

Thanks all for the replies.

I don't have 4 miles, but I do have a 500 foot paved driveway that is very steep in spots and one car wide. I need to bring it up top and swing the truck and trailer around. It levels out at the top, but not enough to prevent me from having to maneuver with the trailer on a fairly level spot but with the truck on a steep decline. To make things more interesting the trailer will be parked where I have asphalt millings (a hair better than gravel). I worry about traction so I'm going to try to keep the truck on the pavement as much as possible when getting the trailer in its spot.

I was goofing around with the 2LOW kit today and it works as designed. I have less traction when backing in 2LOW vs. 2HI for whatever reason. I brought the truck down a really steep part of the asphalt millings and it would back itself out in 2WD but with the 2LOW engaged it just dug itself a hole with the left rear tire. I'm not too concerned because I'd never bring anything but the 4WD down there but it's just an observation.

I've over analyzed this situation to death but I think I'm good. I'm bringing the trailer up here on Saturday so wish me luck...

I was 4-wheeling with a friend about 45 years ago. We were in his K Jimmy and were in 4LO on some dirt and degraded rock. Kept spinning out, even a low speeds. Shifted to 4HI and we had no problems. Seems the slip of the torque converter allowed him to "feather" the throttle a bit more and kept the tires from losing traction.

I was at a campground with our, then new, KZ FW. Packed dirt and sand drives. I had to back up a slight incline into our site and, even with the weight of the FW on the pin, started slipping. Dropped into 4HI and backed right in.

Lyle

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife is a clutch slider with my Cummins/NV5600 tranny combo.....even with a empty truck.
The Cummins has a zero throttle launch so no need to rev and slide the clutch when empty of backing my fully loaded 16k GN tri axle stock trailer around cattle pens/ crowded stock yards or hilly pastures.
With a 6.29 or 5.63 : 1 ratio reverse/1st gear the Cummins will idle backing up a steep bank.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got to use 2WD LO today when I brought the camper home. It was my first time towing anything other than a U-Haul car carrier. It is SUPER tight at the top of my driveway. I finally got it turned around and backed it in easily with 2WD LO. I can't imagine what it would have been like in 2WD HI.

https://youtu.be/0kCtKBKZe2k

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two cell phones work great for the above video.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Saving the Clutch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.