cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 6.2 gas vs 7.3 gas highway gas milage

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have real world HIGHWAY gas milage figures for a Ford Super Duty with about 3000lbs of truck camper in the bed? I’m specifically wondering about 2017-2021 F250 and F350 trucks with the 6.2 gas and new 7.3 gas engines. Reading online I see claims of similar or maybe only 1mpg less with the new 7.3 gas engine, but what about in the real world? (I know they have their place, but not interested Diesel numbers)
http://flyte63.blogspot.com
56 REPLIES 56

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand people wanting an estimate on mileage. But really, you'd need half a toilet roll to list all the variables that go into that number. I think the phrase "If you have to ask...." really is true in this instance.

I have a '21 f350, 7.3, Lariat, CC,LB,DRW,4:30 ordered and a '21 Northern Lite 10.2 LE, DB coming too. Mileage never entered my mind....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyte63 wrote:
I don’t have a tracking number yet but dealer said to expect as long as 24 weeks, so we are thinking might not be until August 1st.

WOW! I was told 16 weeks when ordered mid-Jan. Hope it doesn't take longer. New camper will be here soon so I'm kind in a spot.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supply chain is still a fuster cluck. You can always do a nationwide search and see if there are any trucks that meet your requirements. Good luck.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyte63 wrote:
8 to 10 weeks is what we were originally told as “normal”. But apparently orders are up this year, possibly due to stimulus checks making their way to contractors and then being converted into new trucks - one theory anyway. From banter on the ford truck forums it does sound like some orders are being built sooner than others, maybe due to different cab/chassis configurations and trim levels.
Let's hope it's sooner rather than later. 6 months is a crazy long time to wait.

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
8 to 10 weeks is what we were originally told as “normal”. But apparently orders are up this year, possibly due to stimulus checks making their way to contractors and then being converted into new trucks - one theory anyway. From banter on the ford truck forums it does sound like some orders are being built sooner than others, maybe due to different cab/chassis configurations and trim levels.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

What are the mfgs excuses now? Is it really that much demand?
I mean, the Rona isn’t really affecting stuff now.

Riots on Mexican border?

???
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Riots on Mexican border?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyte63 wrote:
I don’t have a tracking number yet but dealer said to expect as long as 24 weeks, so we are thinking might not be until August 1st.
Have a friend that's looking at special ordering a 2021 7.3 F350 CC SB. His mid-west dealer is telling him 8-10 weeks for delivery. They said Ford is putting "sold" orders ahead of routine orders from dealers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
flyte63 wrote:

I really wish I had a couple extra trucks to sell this year!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyte63 wrote:
Pulled the trigger and ordered a F350 with the 7.3, now just a long wait due to backlog of orders!
What's the estimated delivery date?

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the trigger and ordered a F350 with the 7.3, now just a long wait due to backlog of orders!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Engine size isn’t the whole story.
The 7.3 is usually running at much lower RPM, so even though 7.3 liters of air/fuel mixture goes through it on each revolution, it does fewer revolutions and actually displaces less volume while moving down the road than a 6.2 thats spinning faster.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
We both drove at the same cruising speed, yet DW was making better mpg.

Wow, over 100 mpg. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member