Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying an RV in Oregon.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Buying an RV in Oregon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Petethescot

White Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All, we are Canadians looking to buy a used 5th wheel to take to Palm Springs once the borders are open again. What I would like to know is, if we buy one in Oregon and take it to California to leave year round do we pay sales taxes? Can I buy road insurance for the purpose of hauling it down to Palm Springs Even though I do not have an Oregon residence. What do I have to do?
I understand I cannot register the rig in Oregon as not a resident. So would it be registered in California .
Thanks for any feedback.
Peter

gotsmart

a bit too late though

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon trip plate:
https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/vehicle/trippermit.aspx

California Temporary Operating Permit (Check the "One-Trip Permit" section):
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-re........nd-placards/temporary-operating-permits/

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest asking your independent insurance agent regarding coverage.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,d go to the dmv and ask the questions. and take notes,, names.. phone number?? we just inherited a car ,had all paper work transfering it to my wife signed noterized. ohio dmv made us have a AZ police dept inspect car,,, sign on a AZ paper head the vin and make mod. etc ..OHIO dmv didn,t like where the AZ police officer put the vin number. made us do the hole thing over. nice AZ officer called the ohio dmv and told some facts. p.s, car is in ohio ,ohio plates.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, like others say, you need to call or find the Cali rules from their DMV.
That said, the way it usually works is that when you register a vehicle, you have to cough up whatever sales tax would accrue in that state. It's often reworded as a "use" tax. Usually you get credit for whatever tax you paid in the purchasing state.
However, Oregon has no sales tax. You can predict what that means!

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've purchased a number of vehicles in Oregon and paid no sales tax there. When the vehicle is registered in Washington they get you for sales tax. If there was a $5,000 rebate on your vehicle then they will even tax you on that amount even though you paid nothing.

Used to be Oregon had a booming RV business due to tax avoidance and a registration loophole. People would come from all over to buy RVs. The politicians felt cheated and closed the loophole killing off most of the retail industry.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sales Tax - you pay the legal sales tax where you buy a vehicle, and if you register the vehicle in a different state - you owe tax there.

I grew up near the corner of Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas.

Vehicle dealers know the process intimately, and charged the proper sales tax on the invoice.

Bought new car in Texas once which was registered in Arkansas. They split out the amount of sales tax going to each state on the final sales papers.

Sales of used vehicles - the sales tax owed can depend upon the sale price, or upon the 'current value'. Texas is a state which has a 'current value' rule. Once gave a nine year old vehicle to my daughter, and she had to pay $62.50 because that is the 'minimum tax due' on a vehicle sale because their 'minimum sale or transfer' is 'valued' at $1,000.

Last research I have, and talking to my step-daughter in Portland is that Oregon has no sales tax/ collects no sales tax.

The real question is where are you going to register the vehicle? What is the tax there? I have no idea of rules to register a vehicle in CA. If a non-resident can even register a vehicle in the US.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

gotsmart

a bit too late though

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Petethescot wrote:

.... take it to California to leave year round ...

You can use the trip plates to transport an unregistered vehicle from point A to point B.

If you're never going to take it anywhere again, does it need to be titled, registered, insured, yada, yada, yada? It may depend. state/county/local laws may apply.

Some jurisdictions have 'junkyard laws' which say that all vehicles on a property MUST be registered.

If you are moving the trailer to a park - does that park have its own rules regarding unregistered or uninsured RVs?

My home park requires proof of insurance at check-in.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Saskatchewan there is sales tax. If you buy the unit at a "bargain" price, they jack that price up to "fair market value". I think it is rotten--but that's the way it is.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a former CA resident the answer is certainly yes - you will pay CA use tax (the correct term). Believe no one on this forum (including me) or any phone call to the CA DVM or the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA). It DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU.

The CA use tax is determined by the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) interpretation of Publication 52 when the use tax is due REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE PREVIOUSLY TOLD YOU.

Yes it's possible to not pay the CA use tax if you are meet all of the requirements in publication 52. Doubtful to me that the exemptions apply to the OPs stated case.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Buying an RV in Oregon.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.