cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let me ask this question this way

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
I want to detach the chassis alternator from charging the house batteries. WHY? Because I do not wanting lithium batteries drawing all the alternator can provide and causing the alternator to overheat ( especially at low rpms) I think that removing the small ignition wire from the Bim-225 will do this. I dont care if I dont have the boost capability.

Am I correct as to the wire to disconnect????
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)
5 REPLIES 5

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get out your DC clamp-on ammeter and measure the actual current into the low battery. Check at idle and at 2000 rpm. Post the results. I think you are chasing the boogyman.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Just disconnecting the ignition might not be enough. Driving down the road, if the generator is started, the alternator will still connect to the Li batteries and potentially stay connected after the generator is turned off.

If the BIM-225 has a ground connection, disconnect or put a switch on it. Less chance of a short later.

And, with this mod, the house no longer charges the chassis battery.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm OK with the alternator wire going to a battery isolator and through 40 amp breakers to the batteries.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Assuming it's the proper relay yes.. it will.
Better option. once you confirm the relay is the proper one. Put a SWITCH in that lead so you can. if needed. turn it on.

Even better is a LI charge controller device. but how to connect it without disabling the boost feature (very handy) I do not know. (well actually I do but it's rather complex)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Jay58,

Just get a dc to DC converter. That will allow you to limit the rate of charge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.