cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

portable washer and dryer with a twist.

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I have been pondering installing a washer and dryer in my 5th wheel RV.

I have looked at the Splendides and others, most are quite expensive and have only fair to poor reviews.

So I have come up with a twist.

The closet is

65" high
24' wide
28" deep

If I install a dryer on a shelf on top and put in an inexpensive top loading portable washer underneath the space between them would be a few inches at best.

I plan on installing a pull out shelf on the floor with a safety pan and drain with the top loading portable washer on it. when its time to do laundry, I'll pull the washer out load it and start the laundry, I should be able to push the washer back in, let it do its thing and when done, pull it back out to unload and move cloths to dryer above.

I wanted to get peoples opinions and suggestions before doing the install. What do you think.

If you have any recommendations on brands, please share.

I figure the cost of this installation will come in around seven hundred and fifty to nine hundred depending on the machines.

Looking at a panda, costway, or Rovsun dryers and for the washer something like a RCA RPW210 WASHER, or a comfee, or panda.
13 REPLIES 13

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:
My concern would be how do you find something solid to mount that pull out shelf to?

I would think it would be mounted to floor. Maybe just replace the feet with wheels, and old fashion door stops to hold in place when running.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
My concern would be how do you find something solid to mount that pull out shelf to?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I have a Splendide 2100XC that I have been using full time for a little over 10 years now. It has been and is still great. Having read a lot of negative reviews of the Splendide product I feel most of the negative is because users are comparing them to full size residential units. They are smaller, require longer to dry (120v vs 240v from home units), etc. Once you realize you can't overload them, they are great. I use my unit as a dirty clothes hamper for colors and when it is ready to wash I run it. I do recommend you use dryer balls and do not use dryer sheets.

Our use experience exactly. They work as designed and a lot cheaper and more convenient than driving to a laundramat.

And who wants to sit in a laundromat when they can be relaxing at a campsite?
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I have a Splendide 2100XC ... I do recommend you use dryer balls and do not use dryer sheets.
Why?

Dryer balls help to separate the clothes so they dry quicker and reduce wrinkles. Dryer sheets coat the interior of the vent pipe and collect lint. Splendide instructions say to not use dryer sheets.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I should have started a thread on dryer balls! ๐Ÿ˜„
The washers I'm looking at operate just like the full size ones and do between ten and fifteen pounds of laundry, they have full hook ups and temperature controls as well. The only thing I wish they had is the full size agitator in the middle. There was a unit several years ago with this feature, but it is no longer made. The dryers I'm looking at have the controls in the lower corner, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I did not think about the reach and if it would be a problem when loading the dryer, I will have to check this. The sliding shelves are built for shops and are designed to carry several hundred pounds and slide easily, so I should have no issue sliding it in and out.

The dryers I'm looking out are well over two cubic feet. There is one that is over three cubic feet but is just over 24 inches and width. I might be able to get it in if I can get it through the door.

I am planning on using a vented dryer.

The washers I'm looking at are around 275-400 max and the dryers are running similar depending on features like electronic controls or manual controls.

I should mention that the pull out slides are full ball bearing slides used in pantry slide outs, one hand pull with locking detentes.

The shelf glides are around 70
dryer vent
washer pan with drain
some wood shelf material

One question has come up though. If the dryer draws 12-13 amps and the washers typically draw 5-8 amps. and a typical circuit is 15 or 20 amps max, how do people run both of them at the same time? There's only one outlet?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I have a Splendide 2100XC that I have been using full time for a little over 10 years now. It has been and is still great. Having read a lot of negative reviews of the Splendide product I feel most of the negative is because users are comparing them to full size residential units. They are smaller, require longer to dry (120v vs 240v from home units), etc. Once you realize you can't overload them, they are great. I use my unit as a dirty clothes hamper for colors and when it is ready to wash I run it. I do recommend you use dryer balls and do not use dryer sheets.

Agree although I don't use the dryer balls to reduce the wrinkles; I just hang most cotton things to dry most of the way and then just pop them back in to finish. Don't use the dryer sheets because they can clog up the drain which will cause a huge problem. If you accept the combos limitations, you will be happy with it. If you want to be able to do both wash and dryer loads at the same time, you won't be happy; if you want to be able to use it like a residential unit, you won't be happy.

As to your original question, I would not be happy with the set-up you are considering. Sounds cumbersome to me. But You might be thrilled with it compared to using a laundromat if you are full time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
TenOC wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
I have a Splendide 2100XC ... I do recommend you use dryer balls and do not use dryer sheets.
Why?

2X ?????

From the Splendide consumer tips, "NEVER use fabric softener sheets."

My wife has always been happy with our now 14 year old Splendide vented combo.

One potential problem I can see with the slide out shelf is vibration. Spin with an uneven load can really shake.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:

Our use experience exactly. They work as designed and a lot cheaper and more convenient than driving to a laundramat.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Why?

2X ?????
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
edatlanta wrote:
Why?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing to consider.. For years I've listened to the nay sayers on the mini-washer-spin dryer combos like Costway's 1.6 Cubic foot unit.. Finally got one.
It does ONE queen size bed sheet.. ((So bedding is two loads)
It does one change of clothing if I either wear all white or don't use bleach.

I wash 30 minutes. spin 3 (Sometimes I have to split the load in the spinner) rinse 15 spin five than I have a "line" over my bathtub here in the Apartment and a fan (little DC job I got at Loves I think) and which I lay in the tub and a couple hours later they are dry.

I put the machine IN THE TUB to use it. I think it would fit in the shower in the RV.. Fill it with a hand held shower Drain (not very well designed) into the tub. Works great and it does a BETTER job of cleaining than the Laundromat type machines I've been using.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 problems I see, but not impossible to solve. Pull wet cloths out of washer, going up into the dryer you will be lifting at a awkward angle. Might need to put in basket, put washer away, then to dryer. Might look for front load washer.
Next, where are the dryer controls? If they are on the front, good. Top, not so much.