Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: FLKeys suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lucked out when we stayed at Bluewater. The owners had just left and left a list of items to be done. Owner was called and gave a really good price. Even though it was more then I normally spend, it was the best deal in Key West and most likely our only trip there.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to disagree with a couple of things that have been said on this thread. wrote:

I agree, only Key West is New Orleans like. But watching the sunset on the pier there is worth the trip and then leave before the wildlife gets going. The rest of the Keys are perfectly tame.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/21 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’ve done the keys twice, and really like the middle keys best, Marathon, and Islamorado. We stayed at Curry Hamock State park, and really liked it, but you will have to luck into a cancellation.
Since y’all like to Paddle, the different springs in central Florida are amazing. The Rainbow River, Manatee Springs, Crystal River are all worth seeing.
Our last trip to the springs with 12 and 14 year old, we did 3 days at Disney, and 3 days paddling, and both kids said they wished we,d spent the whole week paddling and skipped Disney.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/21 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673, are you and your family doing Fort Wilderness camping for Disney activities? DH and I have reservations there in March, but are rethinking the trip because we're not sure the parks will have parades and such.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

We stayed at this great resort.
Bluewater Key

Agree with Bluewater Key. Most sites are on the water with their own dock and tiki . Lots of great paddling in the area in the mangroves or bay . This the lot we are on right now. BWK Lot 8

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/21 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stayed at Jolly Rodger RV park in Marathon Key many times & enjoyed this park, it's about 75 miles from Key West.

Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

kfp673, are you and your family doing Fort Wilderness camping for Disney activities? DH and I have reservations there in March, but are rethinking the trip because we're not sure the parks will have parades and such.

Yes. After speaking (chatting) with a customer service rep, we confirmed that Disney is waving cancelation fees up until the day before arrival through the end of April. That put our mind at ease in case there was an outbreak or god forbid someone in my family gets sick. That said, yes, I am concerned about the lack of characters and parades. Meeting the characters is far more important to our 4yr boy than any ride, so while we have paid our deposit it is possible we change our mind. Weird times for sure!

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of points about the Keys:
1. Someone above claimed that gas costs a lot more here.
They are completely wrong !
Here in Key Largo there are lots of stations, and a few of them are the exact same as those in Homestead and Florida City, while others might be a few cents a gallon more. I wouldn't wait until Key West though. That place is a tourist trap!

2. If you are looking for wide open beaches with a big distance between the water and the dunes like there is on the east and west coast of FL.
you won't find them on the entire length of the Keys. There are a few small ones like Sombrero Beach in Marathon, Bahia Honda SP and Mathers beach in Key West.

If you do plan on a trip to the Keys, post again here prior to your trip and those of us who live here year round or for six or seven months in the winter can supply you with more info (that doesn't come from those who have had just one or two trips to a specific Key or Key West)

Guy

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember getting gas at Marathon key. I think it was less then at Homestead.
The experience of going to the Florida Keys is liken to the experience of going to driving to Alaska.
For many it is the experience of a lifetime!
It is the experience!

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I remember getting gas at Marathon key. I think it was less then at Homestead.
The experience of going to the Florida Keys is liken to the experience of going to driving to Alaska.
For many it is the experience of a lifetime!
It is the experience!

Having been to Alaska three times I agree completely, except the crystal clear, eighty degree water is much more inviting then the 35 degree water of the Noatak River in the Artic circle

Guy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.