cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto gen start install

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. So I’m thinking of installing an AGS system. I’ve been doing research and I seem to keep coming back to the Magnum MEAGSN kit. It’s a standalone system that has settings for low battery voltage and interior temp settings.

Has anyone installed a system and if so how did it work out. Doing it mainly for if the power in the campground goes out, we have 2 dogs. We are rarely gone for more than a few hours at a time so it’s more as a backup safety system. We also have a WiFi temp sensor that can update us in. Are the interior temp gets too high.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
5 REPLIES 5

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Just to be clear the ME-AGS-N is not "stand alone" in that the N designates the Network version. It is designed to connect to a Magnum inverter and be programed/controlled by an ME-RC or ME-ARC. They do make a "stand alone" version called the ME-AGS-S.
I've installed several of them in off grid homes but never in an RV. They work quite well if you pay attention to the generator. The problem I have is many customers interpret "automatic" as meaning "hands off". I get these calls about how the generator didn't start like it was supposed too. You find out the gen starting battery was 8 years old and dead, they haven't checked the oil in the generator in 2 years and it was too low, etc. Probably in an RV where you're using the generator more you won't have that problem.

Yosemite Sam, it would work on a portable if it was electric start and had connections for a remote start kit. You would need from 2 to 5 control wires from the Magnum AGS to the portable generator. I've hooked up some Hondas but not anything else portable wise.

Thanks for the clarification. After I posted this I did more research and found that the ME-AGS-S is the standalone version. The one I posted would work if I bought their inverter that would go with and all the other little sensors. And yes maint goes along way with how an auto system would work!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Installed a Magnum system in my coach about 5 years ago and been working fine since. We have an Onan Quiet Diesel and a Magnum inverter which was already prewired so it made the install easy. You can set the AGS to turn on at a specific low battery voltage, and/or with a certain inside temperature. Both have been helpful for me. We did the install for our winter stay in Quartzsite and it was perfect. The temperature function protected our pups with A/C control, and the voltage control kept our batteries charged throughout the day.

Wow, that's cool.

Does it work on all. portable generators.

Only one I've ever done so can't answer the question. Like I said, it my RV was factory pre-wired which helped a lot.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Just to be clear the ME-AGS-N is not "stand alone" in that the N designates the Network version. It is designed to connect to a Magnum inverter and be programed/controlled by an ME-RC or ME-ARC. They do make a "stand alone" version called the ME-AGS-S.
I've installed several of them in off grid homes but never in an RV. They work quite well if you pay attention to the generator. The problem I have is many customers interpret "automatic" as meaning "hands off". I get these calls about how the generator didn't start like it was supposed too. You find out the gen starting battery was 8 years old and dead, they haven't checked the oil in the generator in 2 years and it was too low, etc. Probably in an RV where you're using the generator more you won't have that problem.

Yosemite Sam, it would work on a portable if it was electric start and had connections for a remote start kit. You would need from 2 to 5 control wires from the Magnum AGS to the portable generator. I've hooked up some Hondas but not anything else portable wise.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Installed a Magnum system in my coach about 5 years ago and been working fine since. We have an Onan Quiet Diesel and a Magnum inverter which was already prewired so it made the install easy. You can set the AGS to turn on at a specific low battery voltage, and/or with a certain inside temperature. Both have been helpful for me. We did the install for our winter stay in Quartzsite and it was perfect. The temperature function protected our pups with A/C control, and the voltage control kept our batteries charged throughout the day.

Wow, that's cool.

Does it work on all. portable generators.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog