Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper - Newbie Needs Advice

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all--

Long time camper in pull trailers, 5th wheel, Class C and Class A. I did own a small overhead camper 30 years ago when I traveled Baja twice to Cabo and back. Used for those two trips and then sold. I traveled solo both times.

Now near retirement in the next 5-6 months (58yo), I am considering an overhead truck camper. We currently have the truck and toy hauler in my sig. Wife wants me to keep our TH, as it is great for trips near our home (within 100-300 miles), is very roomy, and she loves camping in it. It is also very nice for longer trips when we are not moving often from place to place.

Who will be in truck camper? Me, 16yo son with Autism, and hopefully wife, but she may not go on too many trips in camper (she's not a big fan due to its smaller interior compared to out TH).....time will tell if she goes often. I may even travel solo if others do not want to go.

Why do I want a truck camper? Less hassle of towing, easier to park, easier to travel in general, explore and visit areas with ability to park and sleep when necessary, easier to travel solo if required, etc. I love to fish and tow my boat when I want, visit rivers for fly fishing (new hobby), etc. These pursuits are much easier IMO with a TC. Jump in truck and GO!!!...at least I assume it's that easy!

The above are the positives, I am assuming.

The negatives I am assuming...top heavy in winds can be dangerous, limited storage, ?????.

My truck has a Max. Cargo Weight of 2980# (per Ford Spec sheet).

Would a camper at 2000# dry be appropriate?
My truck is a Ford Super Duty Standard size bed (6'-9"). It has the camper package.

I will purchase a used model
I don't think I want a canvas pop up.
Alaskan TC are great, but expensive and hard to find used.

Desires: AC/Heat, Refer, Micro, stove, wet restroom

Based on above info:

What should I be looking for, models, sizes, weights, etc.

What to avoid...models, sizes, ???

I need a complete Overhead Camper education!!!

Thanks!!!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
20 REPLIES 20

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that unless your shopping for a 450x/550x truck (don't hear of many of those being modified) your likely going to modify the suspension, tires/rims of your truck (or both) for truck camper hauling duty.

As an example in a recent survey of NL owners found that ~70% of the SRW owners did modifications to their truck while nearly ~40% of the DRW owners did the same thing.

Recently I asked in THIS forum if anyone was using a 3/4T or 1T truck with camper WITHOUT modifications to the truck. There were no responses. (seemingly everybody here has done modifications)

So to conclude, almost no matter what truck you end up with, your more than likely going to make modifications to ether the suspension, tire/wheels or both for hauling a camper. You might as well get used to the idea.

- Mark0.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Just a FYI MOST Truck Campers weigh A LOT more then what the brochures or even the tag on the camper say they do.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I was off considerably on my payload specs.....scroll to bottom for "F-350 California"

I was referred to this data.....See Here
Equal-i-zer 10K

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wintersun wrote:

But my GM truck was the one with the new fully boxed frame that was introduced in 2011. Ram did the same in 2013-2014 and Ford did this with its "super duty" trucks starting in 2016.

Except Dodge HD pickups were fully boxed starting in 2003 models.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Lance 845 on my 2500 pickup that from the factroy had a payload rating of 2800 lbs as it was equipped. With the camper and gear the total load on the rear axle was 3700 lbs which required some easy modifications. I replaced the factory tires with ones rated at 3750 lbs and added SuperSprings and replaced the factory shocks with Rancho adjustable shocks and the result was a well controlled ride.

The payload rating is calculated at the factory on how the truck is configured when it leaves and the limiting factor is the wheels and tires and leaf springs on the truck. When looking for a new truck I found many 3500 pickups with a lower payload rating than the 2500 that I bought and the difference was with the tires and wheels. The 3500 has a second set of leaf springs and the SuperSprings worked equally well.
But my GM truck was the one with the new fully boxed frame that was introduced in 2011. Ram did the same in 2013-2014 and Ford did this with its "super duty" trucks starting in 2016. A slide-in camper puts a lot more stress on the frame and it is easy to find pictures of pickups with frames broken just to the rear of the cab. And DRW put a much higher strain on the frame with the added leverage of the tires being further out from the frame.
Of the new Lance models I would be going with the 855 model which with a full tank of water is going to be at 2900 lbs before adding anything else.

Be aware that when RV makers specify that a given model sleeps X number of people that some of those people need to be shorter than 5'6" in height. Measure the extra beds, as with the dinette that converts to get real measurements.
The Lance owners website is the best place for information on the different new and used models and what modifications can be done to them. For example I added a rack to hold two 100W solar panels and added holder for a second battery underneath the camper. My 845 had a compartment for a generator but I prefered to use the compartment for items I did not want to take inside the camper, like firewood and tools.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Lance 865, you may like it better.
There is an 865 on Ventura CL.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaning towards a Lance 825...... around 2K dry and 3K wet
Equal-i-zer 10K

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good question, but the same question that gets asked almost daily.
Read all the fodder on here, same question, different person asking, similar trucks, similar litany of responses.

Short story, a lightweight camper that is around 2k dry and 3k loaded will be childโ€™s play for your truck. Assumption, older truck is in good condition for being used for heavy duty purposes.
Difficulty will be finding a full featured camper at this weight. They exist but not plentiful and are a compromise.
Good news, I wouldnโ€™t worry about upping the loaded weight to 4klbs with the truck properly equipped to haul it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't weight your axle yet?
The 2460 dry weight will come to about 2700 lb with water and propane.
Add food & beer and you are shooting toward 3500 lb, even more when you have to carry waste water.
That still without AC when your handle indicate that you might need it.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Found these two Palominos...

1860# dry weight:

Palomino HS750

FULL SPECS

2460# dry weight

Palomino HS-8801

FULL SPECS
Equal-i-zer 10K

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My truck capacity was like 2,800 pounds... I found a Palomino, hard side, no slide, that was perfect for my truck. Fully loaded, came in at 2,400 #. Added airbags to the truck and it handled perfectly. Had it in high winds on I-10 headed to Amarillo and fortunately was only about 90 minutes from destination.. Without looking up the paperwork, I think it was an 811 model, 2019 model.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
He has a 2wd gas F350.
A Lance 650 is made for a 150.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

autorot8
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
I'm fine with no slide and expected no slide for my weight limitations.
I prefer hard sided.

Maybe look at Northstar Liberty or Lance 650. Those would be in your weight range.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi

"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fine with no slide and expected no slide for my weight limitations.
I prefer hard sided.
Equal-i-zer 10K