cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tucson to Springfield MO

threekingsmo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at taking US70 out of Las Cruces. OK road for RV travel?
4 REPLIES 4

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like 6% grades and that is what you will encounter taking 70 to 54 to Roswell. Rather I stay on 54 until 380 and then go into Roswell and beyond. Bypasses the mountain pass you will encounter on 70
Kennyg

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
The road is fine all the way and is basically 4 lane up to Ruidoso and over to US 60 in Clovis and 60 is 4 lane to I 27 in TX. There may be some small pieces of two lane (Tularosa, NM) through towns but it is good all the way.

BTW: do not follow US70 Through Las Cruces (Pacacho and them Main st). Stay on I-10 to I-25 north (south end of town) and then get off onto US 70 at exit 6, from I-25 N to Albuquerque.

PS: Missile shots are rare and seldom close the hiway for over an hour. It is a good opportunity if there is one to see and they park you in a rest area overlooking the range while the shot goes off.
Turret Class traveler

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Motor Carrier's Atlas available at truck stops to check unfamiliar routes. I figure if the roads are OK for 18 wheelers then they're OK for my rig.

Frankly, I prefer the interstate when we go to Branson from Tucson every summer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. A bit of a climb then descent to the White Sands Area.

Check WSMR Road Block Schedule about possible closures. The US Army White Sands Missile Range needs the road closed when their tests go over US-7O.

Very interesting, in my opinion, museum at the entrance to the base. Parking so folks without military base access can visit.

White Sands National Monument is also interesting, but I seem to remember thinking it would not be a good place to stop with the trailer.

Alamagordo has some decent RV Parks, and a New Mexico Museum of Space History.

COVID Warning - I have no idea of whether or not any of these are open, or restrictions.

US-70 north of Alamagordo east is and easy climb up the mountains, and the best smoothest route east from Alamagordo.

Have not driven US-70 from Roswell to Clovis.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT