cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tandem axle channel supports

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of buying a 32' travel trailer and would appreciate some input from current/past owners. After looking this trailer over, again, I noticed that the dual axle supports were formed steel channels with no center pivot point. Has anyone had problems with these channels bending or any towing problems. My wife and I have been RVing for forty years in motor homes but now were ready to down-size and this is our first pull trailer.

Any comments good or bad will be greatly appreciated.

Grampyjd
Life member
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com
12 REPLIES 12

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
grampyjd wrote:
Thank you for the info. Here is the photo I wanted to show. The formed steel angle looks some what light for twisting and turning the travel trailer

Looks very similar to my camper with similar axles. No problems over 7 years.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
grampyjd wrote:
Thanks to each and everyone of you. I learned a lot. I did not notice the missing rubber boots for the brake adjustment. Should have known I adjusted a lot of brakes back in the sixties. I had no idea that there would be rubber inside the axle tube. Wow this old dog needs to do more reading.

Thanks a million everyone.
Yeah, it is basically a rubber spring system. There are a few different versions of such suspensions out there.
Like everything, there are pros and cons.
Pros: Independant suspension and a lower ride height. Pretty much maintainence free, for quite a while.

Cons: Lower ride height. (yes this can be good or bad)The rubber will eventually break down. Rubber ages even when not being used. Some use is good, as it keeps it limbered up (so to speak) too much use will accellerate the wear. There is a sweet spot in there somewhere for maximum life... Just cannot tell where it is. When the rubber deteriorates, the cheap fix is to have the setup reclocked. But this doesn't have a good track record. The old rubber is still in there, so it just doesn't hold the adjustment well. The rubber can be replaced, but this can cost almost as much as new axles. There really isn't a cheap repair on this system as there often is with traditional suspension.

Not making a recomendation either way. Your money, your choice
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to each and everyone of you. I learned a lot. I did not notice the missing rubber boots for the brake adjustment. Should have known I adjusted a lot of brakes back in the sixties. I had no idea that there would be rubber inside the axle tube. Wow this old dog needs to do more reading.

Thanks a million everyone.
Sincerely,

grampyjd

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
There's way more beef on that connection than many trailers made. Look at some of the lighter weight RV trailers and you'll see much thinner smaller spring hangers with no reinforcing welded to the I beam.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
grampyjd wrote:
Thank you for the info. Here is the photo I wanted to show. The formed steel angle looks some what light for twisting and turning the travel trailer

Should be fine, the steel angle welded to the frame acts like a reinforcement to the axles lighter ga material. There is a very small amount of lighter ga material that is not reinforced..

As a side note, if you feel it is not heavy enough material, do not have anyone weld directly to the axle tube without first consulting with the manufacturer of the axle. They are the only folks who can tell you if it is safe to do so and how and where to weld.

There is rubber inside that tube and the heat from welding after the rubber has been put in there may damage/alter that rubber if not careful enough.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
This type suspension needs to be adjusted at the hitch to be towed near level , these have no center equalizer .

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
If all channels were made properly, you will never have to deal with them. However, you should go to your local auto parts store and get a full set of rubber plugs to cover the adjustment holes for the brakes in the backing plates as they will keep more water out of the drums. Happy Camping!
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer

Sincerely,

grampyjd

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Easy Photo Upload & Posting Web App! (1492)
A fast and easy way to include a photo in a forum post. Just drag-n-drop a photo, and copy-n-paste the image link in your message post. Uploads photos directly to IMGUR.com servers. Automatically resizes photos to the max recommended by the Open Roads Forum. Includes a thumbnail preview, and also provides an optional link to permanently delete the photo. The WebApp is available at http://photoposting.is-great.net
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I must have the torsion axles. I've always had the leaf springs on any trailers I've owned. The formed steel channel holding the axles looks like it could bend while backing and turning.
I'm having a problem pasting my photo.

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your axles look like this, then you have the torsion type of suspension, and IMO, I like this over the leaf spring type.. Just me..

First TT ever was a small 2003 Prowler, yet it had this type of suspension. Never an issue in over 16 years of owning it.. These are the Dexter brand torsion axles.

Got the new Rockwood and it has the same Dexter torsion suspension axles.. I bit higher axles rating of course, since the Rockwood is a heavier TT.. But, in the end, I'll stick the the torsion axles... But, that's just me... 😉

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a "torsion axle"?

Any visible leaf springs?

If no leaf springs and the axles are directly mounted to the frame then you would have what is called "torsion axles" which in a nutshell are like a heavyduty rubber band inside of the axle tube..

Looks like this..

Torsion axles have been around for a long time are are pretty reliable, some folks prefer them over leaf springs for a smoother ride..

You can read up on torsion axles HERE at Dexter Axle website.

Otherwise if there are leaf springs there should be a leaf spring for each axle and a mount and equalizing link between the springs..