cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new mattress needed, any reason to buy from camping world?

RetroAirBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything special about the mattresses in an RV?

Can i just buy one from a mattress store?
26 REPLIES 26

ArcticGabe
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect a bed upgrade is in my near future. Our TT has a king bed. Before I go too far down this path, will a king mattress fit through the door? Thx!

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
We completely replaced our queen size mattress with one made by โ€œAllswellโ€ , somewhat expensive and heavy but very comfortable. I had to reinforce the wood underneath by adding 2 additional wood cross members and had to buy 2 new gas rams designed for more weight so when you accessed the storage underneath the bed would stay up.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Partsbob
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Zinus 8โ€ โ€œbed-in-a-bagโ€. We immediately replaced our factory short Queen with one from Amazon and loved it so much, we then ordered a 10โ€ Zinus full Queen for our home! We are now in our 2nd TT with the same mattress, after telling them to keep the factory mattress, even though the mattress is now 2 years old.
As mentioned elsewhere, if you get a bed-in-a-bag/box, follow the instructions completely to unpack, youโ€™ll be glad you did.
2015 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
2019 Heartland North Trail 27RBDS UltraLite Caliber Edition (previous)
2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB (previous)
2012 Jayco Swift 154BH (previous)

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy the same bed you have at home. That is what I did...
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
Three new travel trailers ago, my DW hated the mattress that came with the unit. We went to the local mattress factory (Verlo) and had them make one to our specifications (RV Queen). It has been one of the best investments we ever made (Happy Wife โ€“ Happy Life). We just purchased a new TT and made the dealer swap mattresses as part of the deal.
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
RetroAirBnB wrote:

You can buy from where ever you want to, as long as what you get fits the space occupied by your current mattress.

Measure it.
Standard queen is 60x80
RV Queen is usually 60x74 or 75
Then there's mattresses with angled corners.
Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my short queen with a custom mattress I think 4" longer but not the full queen length due to space. Works perfect, love it. Custom sheets to match.

I was going to do the same for the bunk. Was a few $$ more than CW so DW, who mostly just sees only the price, insisted on CW. Custom sheets fit perfect but the 8" short mattress for the space is really dumb IMO. Get the custom size.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Common issue with new RVs, and our very first mod after returning from our maiden voyage. Overpriced and low quality are all that are special about stock RV mattresses, luckily we measured and it was a true queen making it simple to purchase our mattress anywhere they were sold. Adding a high quality memory foam bed topper was the finishing touch to blissful nights and restful sleep while RVing.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought my queen short on Amazon ($180). Then I bought a 2" foam (not memory) topper at WalMart ($35). This set-up makes you want to stay in bed all day........Yea. It's that heavenly. With the extra 2", it makes regular queen sheets fit nicely.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Zinus from Amazon the exact size as the original. They come in a few different thicknesses, we got an 8โ€. If you buy it, be sure to leave it in the box and lay it on your bed to open it. It expands and it is a lot easier when you have it already on your bed. Best purchase I made for our TT.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with my Puffy mattress

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Unless CW is the only place to find what you need.... I would try to buy elsewhere. Superior mattresses are available in many places. RV sizes can vary a bit from standard so make sure you know what you are getting. Thickness can also be an issue especially for bunks. Easy to get quality foam mattress custom sized for what you want/need. Spring mattresses could add significant weight if that matters. You can get custom sheets also.

I would not buy a mattress from camping world for any reason!!!! Go to mattress business but make sure you measure your RV size carefully.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
RetroAirBnB wrote:

Short Queens - are the width of a queen but the length of a full.
If your camper came with a Short Queen, then a standard queen might not fit.

The rounded corners have already been mentioned.

One thing to check is to make sure you can get your new mattress in. Many campers make this difficult.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Would you shop for a camper at mattress World? Determine size and find a mattress maker. They can make any type you want and quickly.