cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drip

Mike_P_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small drip coming from the 1 1/2" black pvc pipe from the gray water tank.
Not sure where its coming from yet, could be the pipe or a joint?
If I can find where the leak is coming from is there a product that will seal the pvc pipe?
Thanks, Mike
18 REPLIES 18

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small drip coming from the 1 1/2" black pvc pipe from the gray water tank.
Not sure where its coming from yet, could be the pipe or a joint?
If I can find where the leak is coming from is there a product that will seal the pvc pipe?
Thanks, Mike

Flex seal paste. It is a miracle worker for leaks. Had a leak a year ago and I put the stuff on thinking I would go back later and make a permanent fix but never did it works so well. The paste gives you the ability to put it on as thick as you like. Most TV advertise products are junk but this product does what Phil Swift says it will.

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
Mike P. wrote:
Its cold and rainy here in AZ for a few days and I will crawl around under it soon and try to find the source of the drip.

You may know this, but since it's been cold- mind the working temperature of whatever solution you come up with. Sometimes you'll have to wait for things to warm up before you can use different products.

Mike_P_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
RV has been sitting for a while, and I just purchased it a couple days before seeing the drip.
Its cold and rainy here in AZ for a few days and I will crawl around under it soon and try to find the source of the drip.
Hopefully its an easy fix.
Mike

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Can't fix it until you locate where the leak is coming from.
Kevin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a thin spot in a bottom corner of my ABS holding tank. It became a flex point as the tank would fill and was leaking. I used Plasti-Mend and some thin sheet ABS to seal and reinforce the area. I think it is now going on eight+ years with no issue.

Initially tried JB Weld and some tank epoxy. Both failed. I believe they failed because of the continued flexing.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it's on the PVC pipes or fitting, fairly simple.

Repaired a crack on a prior trailer with some epoxy and automotive fiberglass wrapped around it. I saw the trailer last summer and the fix is still there and sealing it 12yrs later.

If the tank gets a crack, that's a bigger challenge. There is special glue to seal it...anything else won't stick. Even with the special ABS plastic welding glue, I never did get it to stay sealed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since waste pipe is not under pressure, there are tapes meant just for your application at HD and Lowes. About $10/roll.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flex seal, if you have any left over you can make a boat out of a screen door. I have used this to seal a outdoor water fountain and after a few months it failed. Started out nice but.....

As Bill mentioned you need to see where it is leaking from. Liquids travel and then drop when they run out of something to follow.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep in mind that if you don't know where the leak is, it may not be the pipe at all. It well could be another line leaking and dripping onto the pipe or running down some surface and running down the pipe. Be sure to look deep into the source before you worry about the cure.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the drip located, out the end of the dump or somewhere along the pipe?

dpglifestyle
Explorer
Explorer
I used JB Water weld to fix a cracked fitting on black tank. this stuff is made to fix water leaks and will even work under water
2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually

FWIW, I had a grey tank drip a couple of TTs ago.

Then one day I bonked the dump pipe on some dirt and grass in an awkward back up parking job. Leaked worse after that.

I took it apart to fix it and the black ABS pipe was only thrust into the fitting. The boneheads at the factory neglected to glue the pipe in place.

Easy fix, pull it apart, clean up the area, some ABS glue, done!

If it happened to me, it can happen to anyone.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch has an excellent idea.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For black ABS "Plasti-Mend" will provide a permanent fix in all positions.

Buy direct from website or amazon.