cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel to Alberta

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter and son-in-law are in a business of hauling travel trailers from the manufacturers in Elkhart, Indiana, to points all over the US and Canada. They just returned from their first Canadian delivery -- to Grande Prairie, Alberta. They found the temperature in NW Alberta to be just a tad different from what they were used to in SW Oklahoma...
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
19 REPLIES 19

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
My dad was born and raised in a small town in Saskatchewan.
He used to tell the story of walking 7 miles to school, bare foot, in -40 weather, with snow and wind, and up hill both ways.
In 1971 Saskatchewan held a โ€œprovincialโ€ Home Coming.
When we got to my dadโ€™s little home town... I found out my dad was fibbing... there are no hills in Saskatchewan... ( grin)
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

trigley wrote:

I remember it well, it was proceeded by a thunderstorm and a good rain which left the whole city a sheet of ice. I was living in west Edmonton and working in St Albert. Driving was awful.
Those temperatures were in F. It was before we change to metric.
I had one of those certificates. I must have used it to light a fire in a subsequent cold snap.:)

Aha! I didn't think anyone would remember it here. Yes that was something to remember. We were wondering if it was ever going to warm up again.
I lived on Dovercourt Ave and walked every day to Sherbrooke High. There was no such thing as drive your wimps... I mean kids to school. Temperatures didn't matter, we walked.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you all have heard of a "three-dog night," right? Nights that are so cold that it takes three dogs to keep you warm?
Well, here on the rez we've had a few three-wagon nights...

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
As a 14 year old boy, I lived in Edmonton in 1969. We had a record cold snap that lasted for weeks. It was a bit chilly there.

Highly unlikely anyone here remembers that.

In fact, tucked away in my filing cabinet is a newspaper article I clipped from the Edmonton journal after it was all over. I kept it for over 50 years.
It was still Farenheit back then.

I remember it well, it was proceeded by a thunderstorm and a good rain which left the whole city a sheet of ice. I was living in west Edmonton and working in St Albert. Driving was awful.
Those temperatures were in F. It was before we change to metric.
I had one of those certificates. I must have used it to light a fire in a subsequent cold snap.:)

As a 14 year old boy, I lived in Edmonton in 1969. We had a record cold snap that lasted for weeks. It was a bit chilly there.

Highly unlikely anyone here remembers that.

In fact, tucked away in my filing cabinet is a newspaper article I clipped from the Edmonton journal after it was all over. I kept it for over 50 years.
It was still Farenheit back then.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
WAIT - - WHAT ?????? -55 C??:E
Temperature

Celsius
=

Fahrenheit
Formula
(-55ยฐC ร— 9/5) + 32 = -67ยฐF

WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD ENJOY THAT????? Oh wait,, their not right in the mind, its FROZEN! ! ! :B

On behalf of the Edmonton Chamber of whatevebrrrr I must point out these would be windchill readings. Not that it would feel any better.

ford truck guy wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
It was minus 15C yesterday when I went outside to clear the fresh snowfall.
I must be getting soft.
I actually donned a light sweater for the occasion. My threadbare light t shirt wasn't enough....
Winter is on it's way. Almost time for a jacket now. Might have to dig out the gloves too.

darn Eskimo ! :B

:B:B

BobsYourUncle wrote:
I must be getting soft.
I actually donned a light sweater for the occasion. My threadbare light t shirt wasn't enough....
Winter is on it's way. Almost time for a jacket now. Might have to dig out the gloves too.

darn Eskimo ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

I must be getting soft.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Makes for a bit of hard outdoor swimming here in the Florida of Canada.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

The coldest day I have worked outside here, handling aluminum and building a sunroom is minus 37C. That's actual temperature, before people add a bunch too it for wind chill. And it was windy that day.

That works out to -34.6F

Yeah that was a bit on the nippy side. I even had to put gloves on that day so my hands didn't stick to my aluminum extension ladder.

My cordless tools growled more than they ran....
Wasn't too fond of the icicles hanging off my nose.
Caulking didn't stick very well. In fact, it didn't want to leave the tube.

I prefer summer.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
DrewE wrote:
One of my good friends growing up went to college at the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus.

He told me once that they had an informal test for how cold the day was. Take a half a cup of coffee, stick it out the window (on the second or third floor of the dorm, as I recall), and turn the cup over. If a brown splotch appears in the snow below, it's not too cold. If a small hole appears where the chunk of iced coffee hits it, it's starting to get fairly cold. If nothing at all appears on the snow, it's definitely cold and you should bundle up well.

The party trick is to take a cup of boiling water and toss it outside.
- It's its cold, it will instantly turn to light fluffy snow.

Done it many times in Michigan.

We spent the weekend in Stowe, VT, celebrating our 50th birthdays, both of which are in winter. Temp was -27 F in the morning. Being the geeks we are we spent way too much time throwing cups of hot water out the window to watch it go POOF!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
DrewE wrote:
One of my good friends growing up went to college at the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus.

He told me once that they had an informal test for how cold the day was. Take a half a cup of coffee, stick it out the window (on the second or third floor of the dorm, as I recall), and turn the cup over. If a brown splotch appears in the snow below, it's not too cold. If a small hole appears where the chunk of iced coffee hits it, it's starting to get fairly cold. If nothing at all appears on the snow, it's definitely cold and you should bundle up well.

The party trick is to take a cup of boiling water and toss it outside.
- It's its cold, it will instantly turn to light fluffy snow.

Done it many times in Michigan.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer