Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel to Alberta
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travel to Alberta

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter and son-in-law are in a business of hauling travel trailers from the manufacturers in Elkhart, Indiana, to points all over the US and Canada. They just returned from their first Canadian delivery -- to Grande Prairie, Alberta. They found the temperature in NW Alberta to be just a tad different from what they were used to in SW Oklahoma...

2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it occasionally gets a little nippy here!
Only minus 17C here in Calgary this morning, not too bad....
Winter is coming now.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Yes, it occasionally gets a little nippy here!
Only minus 17C here in Calgary this morning, not too bad....
Winter is coming now.

If I've done my math right that's about 1-2 degrees F. Was about the same in parts of NH this morning and a few areas were a little colder.

Love Alberta. Been to Banff and Jasper twice. It's one of the most beautiful areas in North America.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When there is a minus involved with the temperature, C or F, it's entirely too cold for me.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few years back, a couple weeks before Xmas our oldest daughter was moving into their newly built home between Calgary and Banff.
We went over to help them and to see our granddaughter’s Xmas concert.
Friday night, we Parked our truck and walked the 1/2 block to the school in hoodies.
Next morning : moving day!
Calgary was -46c and Edmonton was -55c, and as they were saying on the radio,” on that day, Edmonton was the coldest place in the world”
My son in-laws transmission froze in his truck.
My truck started, but oh boy was that motor cold and hard to start.
We snapped in 1/2 more than 1 plastic tote bin as they were stored in a un heated storage building.
We were using a kids fisher price wagon to move “stuff” quicker from the trucks into the house, 2 tires snapped from the cold.
And to top it all off, the power went out, and when we went to lite the wood stove.... the wood was frozen into one large lump as we had put it away wet a couple days earlier, so we had to use a splitting maul to break up the lump of wood.
Had to be the fastest we ever moved anyone ever from an apartment to a house “ever”...(grin)
When they were moved in, “ shortly before lunch” we kicked back relaxed by the fire while we used the wood stove to heat water and then poured it in a paper cup so our granddaughter could go outside and toss the hot water into the air.
Best weekend ever.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAIT - - WHAT ?????? -55 C??[emoticon]
Temperature

Celsius
=

Fahrenheit
Formula
(-55°C × 9/5) + 32 = -67°F

WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD ENJOY THAT????? Oh wait,, their not right in the mind, its FROZEN! ! ! [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my good friends growing up went to college at the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus.

He told me once that they had an informal test for how cold the day was. Take a half a cup of coffee, stick it out the window (on the second or third floor of the dorm, as I recall), and turn the cup over. If a brown splotch appears in the snow below, it's not too cold. If a small hole appears where the chunk of iced coffee hits it, it's starting to get fairly cold. If nothing at all appears on the snow, it's definitely cold and you should bundle up well.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

One of my good friends growing up went to college at the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus.

He told me once that they had an informal test for how cold the day was. Take a half a cup of coffee, stick it out the window (on the second or third floor of the dorm, as I recall), and turn the cup over. If a brown splotch appears in the snow below, it's not too cold. If a small hole appears where the chunk of iced coffee hits it, it's starting to get fairly cold. If nothing at all appears on the snow, it's definitely cold and you should bundle up well.

The party trick is to take a cup of boiling water and toss it outside.
- It's its cold, it will instantly turn to light fluffy snow.

Done it many times in Michigan.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

DrewE wrote:

The party trick is to take a cup of boiling water and toss it outside.
- It's its cold, it will instantly turn to light fluffy snow.

Done it many times in Michigan.

We spent the weekend in Stowe, VT, celebrating our 50th birthdays, both of which are in winter. Temp was -27 F in the morning. Being the geeks we are we spent way too much time throwing cups of hot water out the window to watch it go POOF!

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The coldest day I have worked outside here, handling aluminum and building a sunroom is minus 37C. That's actual temperature, before people add a bunch too it for wind chill. And it was windy that day.

That works out to -34.6F

Yeah that was a bit on the nippy side. I even had to put gloves on that day so my hands didn't stick to my aluminum extension ladder.

My cordless tools growled more than they ran....
Wasn't too fond of the icicles hanging off my nose.
Caulking didn't stick very well. In fact, it didn't want to leave the tube.

I prefer summer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travel to Alberta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.