Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: tire rim weight rating
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire rim weight rating

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from construction bussines, I used to overload my vehicles on daily basis.
Have never heard about steel rim failure, regardless overload.
When I can't provide solid statistics, my recollection is that steel rims can take 50% overload at slow speeds just fine.
I read reports about rims failures, but that most of the time was aftermarket aluminum wheel.
Additional note, I paid extra when custom-building my dually Ford to have aluminum wheels.
What the site did not tell was that I had only 4 aluminum rims and 3 steel ones.
To add salt to the injury the alu wheels were polished only on 1 side with ugly stamping on other side .
Made rotating the wheels impossible.

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best research I have done says that there is no regulation that requires wheels to be identified by maximum weight carrying, or maximum pressure - BUT - wheels are designed and manufactured such that they will carry the largest weight for the vehicle they are fitted to - and that is controlled by the number of lugs.

Yes, that's right, the number of lugs. Then that controls the weight limitations of the vehicle and therefore the wheel.

Further, tire inflation pressure doesn't matter when it comes to wheel strength. It's the max load that overwhelms things to the point where stresses due to tire inflation pressure are trivial.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

The best research I have done says that there is no regulation that requires wheels to be identified by maximum weight carrying, or maximum pressure - BUT - wheels are designed and manufactured such that they will carry the largest weight for the vehicle they are fitted to - and that is controlled by the number of lugs.

Yes, that's right, the number of lugs. Then that controls the weight limitations of the vehicle and therefore the wheel.

Further, tire inflation pressure doesn't matter when it comes to wheel strength. It's the max load that overwhelms things to the point where stresses due to tire inflation pressure are trivial.

If the weight capacity of wheels was only controlled by the number of lugs all 8 lug wheels would have the same capacity which is not true . You have over simplified.

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hands up - who has seen a 2500-4500 250-450 series pickup or cab and chassis truck with a structural wheel failure on the side of the road in the last 31 years?

Loose wheel nuts/bolts wheel fall off does not count for this survey...

* This post was edited 01/26/21 10:30am by noteven *

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is mine http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/ticki2/radarstationme014.jpg
I know of half a dozen other over the years in my area

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Hands up - who has seen a 2500-4500 250-450 series pickup or cab and chassis truck with a structural wheel failure on the side of the road in the last 31 years?

Loose wheel nuts/bolts wheel fall off does not count for this survey...

None here on a truck but I have seen a lot of wood trailers broke down on the side of the road from abuse and really over loaded..Every year I see trucks from 1/2 ton up so over loaded one would think something has to give but it's always the utility trailer that fails,not the truck..I have always thought I would see a 1/2 ton truck break an axle /rim or something but notta although Burningman said he broke an axle on a 1/2 ton with a TC.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wheels like tires have a max load capacity. Wheel mfg also warn not to overl;oad the wheel.
Having ran commercial using the the same size trucks mentioned for over 1.2 million miles I've had and I've seen the results of over loaded wheels and tires. At some point in time or miles cracked or broken centers....cracked or broken valleys....or split tire bead seats are common with wheel over loading.
Never over load a wheel or a tire used on the highway full time.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> tire rim weight rating
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.