Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Speaking of large batch cooking-freezing leftovers?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Speaking of large batch cooking-freezing leftovers?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that my son is moving out there will be leftovers of things like spaghetti, stew, etc. Thoughts on the best way to freeze them in individual serving sizes? I've tried the small plastic containers but they seem to ice up a lot. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ICamel

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freeze in individual serving size vacuum seal bags. Vacuum seal when frozen. If you buy seal-able bag material that can be boiled or microwaved it doubles your options for reheating.

ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on the vacuum freezing.
I do this with almost everything that can be frozen with the exception of homemade soup. Liquids do not take to vacuum too well. I use regular freezer bags for soup and just purge as much of the air out.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ICamel wrote:

Freeze in individual serving size vacuum seal bags. Vacuum seal when frozen. If you buy seal-able bag material that can be boiled or microwaved it doubles your options for reheating.

I have used that method.. I learned to cook for a farm family.. (AKA small army) so I tend to cook LARGE amounts.

I have a vacuum sealer

I also use zip-lock or slide-lock bags. Get as much air out of 'em as you can before you seal . Just had a re-heated meal in fact. YUMMY.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We often cook for family groups of 8-12....and usually overestimate how much will be eaten.

After dinner, the monster serving bowls are put away and the vacuum sealer comes out. We usually put what we think we'll eat in the next day or two in ziplocs (for the fridge) and use appropriate size vacuum bags to vacuum and freeze the rest.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife is like Rachel ray, loves to cook and very good at it.
BUT will admit, once the kid's moved out she struggled to cook for 2 with enormous amounts of leftovers.

Once I retired I had a plethora of leftovers in vacuum packed bags.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Weston sealer, ditched the Seal a Meal after going through 3 of them.

Found pasta doesn’t freeze well long term but short term ok.

We seal and freeze a ton of stuff.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with way2roll in cooking smaller portions. We don't do leftovers because we found we didn't end up eating them. Now we just cook what we will eat. If we happen to have some left, it gets thrown out, but we don't typically have anything left.

Although I love our vacuum sealer and use it quite often, mostly for separating bulk meat purchases, we don't have room in the freezer for a lot of vacuum sealed leftovers. I vacuum seal portions for just the two of us. If the kids are eating, we just thaw multiple packs.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WaytoRoll,

While I understand what you are trying to say, what you must have missed along the way is that some things just can't work in smaller measures. There are two immediate and very pressing obstacle. Package size and recipe modifications.
That half a jar of sauce will take up critical volume in the refrigerator.
The partial box of spaghetti is not a problem unless you forget which one it is. At home we store it in bulk, but in the coach....
We haven't figured out how to roast an half of a chicken.
Baked potatoes are good for this, and that is about what potatoes are good for. Many places you can't buy just one.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please no "cook less" comments. It's not what this thread is about. My question has pretty much been answered. And we like leftovers. Moving on...

Brand suggestions for a vacuum sealer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Speaking of large batch cooking-freezing leftovers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.