cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV cover vs shed?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still stewing around about a good parking spot for my class C.

There is no off-site storage I would trust within a reasonable distance of my home.

The city will not allow me to add an additional driveway entrance, which was one option. I would have liked to add a gravel pad and shed at the lower end of my property, but am concerned about getting stuck in mud, without a driveway. So that option is out.

Another option is to extend my concrete parking area beside the house. However, I am somewhat concerned about the aesthetics of a tall class C shed next to a one-story ranch house. If necessary, I'll do that, but still have some reservations.

Is it feasible for one person to put a cover on a Class C, with no assistance? I'm pretty strong generally so that is not the issue. But somehow I'm thinking this is not a one-person job.

I really want to get my RV covered when not in use, in some way. We get a LOT of rain sometimes in my part of TN, plus some ice/snow.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
23 REPLIES 23

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As posted earlier, you might look into grid pavers. This will allow you to drive down your lawn without sinking in. For an example just do a search for "concrete grid pavers"
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to go with a shed. We used a cover until on a nice cold winter forced some vermin to make their home under the cover. They feasted on my rubber roof, air conditioner, vents, awning and the cover itself.

Since that happened, we have had a shed at our last two homes and really like them. No new vermin problems. The damage to the rig cost almost as much as the shed and pad.

If you have enough room, I would get a shed that is at least 5' longer then your rig and wide enough to open any slides. Also, adding gable panels to the back end and at least one row of side panels to keep the sun/weather off really makes a difference. Just make sure to check the clearance height and width with the sales person to make sure your rig fits with roof slopes on the shed.

Regarding getting stuck in the yard, yes have been there too. I would suggest purchasing a roll of geotech fabric, in whatever width and length you need and placing gravel, millings, etc. on top of the fabric, maybe 3" or 4" thick. The gravel will not sink into the soil with the fabric under it. The gravel pad should also extend under the shed, so the shed installers have a good solid surface to install the bottom rails.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
Have you asked for a Variance from the City ? Often not that hard to get.

Yep. The location is too close to a blind curve. Never mind that about 2 vehicles per week come around that curve.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If the city won't grant a variance for a significant improvement to the property and its allowed to park a rv there and build a carport/shed/barn, you can easily make a solid driving surface.
Use grow through geogrid or block pavers in the lawn. Bingo, you have a lawn you can drive on! And just keep some boards handy for removable curb ramps if you have curb and gutter.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:
Looks like a Nissan Maxima there too!
No, it's a 2014 Nissan Altima 2.5L-SL with CVT transmission that will average 43mpg on the highway if I could only limit my top speed to 60mph. At 75-80mph we average 36mpg. It's a great road trip car. We bought it new, now with over 90,000 miles. Aside from our current motor home, it has been the most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned. Our first vehicle was a well used 67 Plymouth Fury. We "Love" our Altima....one of our best vehicles ever.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Have you asked for a Variance from the City ? Often not that hard to get.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
An RV carport type cover is the simplest and easiest. And no struggles with a cover when returning from a trip or putting it away for the winter.

More expensive but nice looking is a raised center aisle barn type structure. And gives you lots of room for other storage, but may be too large for your lot.

It would be too large. I have a decent size storage building on the other end of the lot.

The biggest problem is that the driveway and house are all on one end of a wide shallow lot, why the builder did that was beyond me. I can't get vehicle access to the other end without driving through the yard, or putting in another driveway, which the city won't let me do.

All of this is complicated by water, sewer, and gas lines which run in apparently random locations through the back yard. This is the sort of thing you don't figure out until you live in a house for several years.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 rv port is the best. its covered,gets air, stays dry.easy in out.

I agree, and definitely more convenient.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Could you build a covered cover (carport) that closely matches the style of your house? Attached or standalone? I have a log cabin and built a wood carport next to it matching the colors, shingles, roof style. It’s big enough for the MH, and two cars with room to spare.

I am going to investigate this a little more. The big issue is height.

What I'm thinking about is possibly not a standard shed. I can extend the parking area so the rear of the RV is even with the roof peak of the house. In other words, the RV would be parked beside the back half of the house.

If the shed roof started at that point, but sloped at a more shallow angle than the roof, then it would be tall enough for the RV, without dwarfing the house.

My house has a metal roof and I'm sure the shed roof could be done in the same or similar color, which would look OK.

That would make the rear of the RV shed taller than the rear of the house but not by a lot. And the front of the RV shed would be the same height as the house gable, or close.

I have to get out and do some measuring and some basic geometry to see if this would work.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Shed......twice as big as you think you need! You can thank me later! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen what I called a canvas quonset building. They have a bow/arch like a quonset but then canvas instead of steel. I've seen pictures where they are used on farms for storage.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a Nissan Maxima there too!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a heated garage for our rig. It was very hard to find a rig that clears a 9'-11.25" finished opening. We have only 1.5" to spare when the rig is empty, more when loaded.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought an Adco cover for our TT and used it one season. The cover is breathable to prevent moisture build up, and because of that says in the directions "NOT waterproof, do not use if your RV is leaking." If the door doesn't line up perfectly, it's a PITA to get in/out to work on the RV or get stuff in/out. It was enough of a hassle putting it on that I never bother the next year.

A carport or shed is ideal, but if that's not feasible, then I would leave it be, a cover isn't worth the hassle IMO.