Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: RV cover vs shed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV cover vs shed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought an Adco cover for our TT and used it one season. The cover is breathable to prevent moisture build up, and because of that says in the directions "NOT waterproof, do not use if your RV is leaking." If the door doesn't line up perfectly, it's a PITA to get in/out to work on the RV or get stuff in/out. It was enough of a hassle putting it on that I never bother the next year.

A carport or shed is ideal, but if that's not feasible, then I would leave it be, a cover isn't worth the hassle IMO.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
SOLD: 2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
2002 Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a heated garage for our rig. It was very hard to find a rig that clears a 9'-11.25" finished opening. We have only 1.5" to spare when the rig is empty, more when loaded.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a Nissan Maxima there too!

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen what I called a canvas quonset building. They have a bow/arch like a quonset but then canvas instead of steel. I've seen pictures where they are used on farms for storage.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shed......twice as big as you think you need! You can thank me later! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Could you build a covered cover (carport) that closely matches the style of your house? Attached or standalone? I have a log cabin and built a wood carport next to it matching the colors, shingles, roof style. It’s big enough for the MH, and two cars with room to spare.

I am going to investigate this a little more. The big issue is height.

What I'm thinking about is possibly not a standard shed. I can extend the parking area so the rear of the RV is even with the roof peak of the house. In other words, the RV would be parked beside the back half of the house.

If the shed roof started at that point, but sloped at a more shallow angle than the roof, then it would be tall enough for the RV, without dwarfing the house.

My house has a metal roof and I'm sure the shed roof could be done in the same or similar color, which would look OK.

That would make the rear of the RV shed taller than the rear of the house but not by a lot. And the front of the RV shed would be the same height as the house gable, or close.

I have to get out and do some measuring and some basic geometry to see if this would work.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

x2 rv port is the best. its covered,gets air, stays dry.easy in out.

I agree, and definitely more convenient.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

An RV carport type cover is the simplest and easiest. And no struggles with a cover when returning from a trip or putting it away for the winter.

More expensive but nice looking is a raised center aisle barn type structure. And gives you lots of room for other storage, but may be too large for your lot.

It would be too large. I have a decent size storage building on the other end of the lot.

The biggest problem is that the driveway and house are all on one end of a wide shallow lot, why the builder did that was beyond me. I can't get vehicle access to the other end without driving through the yard, or putting in another driveway, which the city won't let me do.

All of this is complicated by water, sewer, and gas lines which run in apparently random locations through the back yard. This is the sort of thing you don't figure out until you live in a house for several years.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you asked for a Variance from the City ? Often not that hard to get.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capacitor wrote:

Looks like a Nissan Maxima there too!
No, it's a 2014 Nissan Altima 2.5L-SL with CVT transmission that will average 43mpg on the highway if I could only limit my top speed to 60mph. At 75-80mph we average 36mpg. It's a great road trip car. We bought it new, now with over 90,000 miles. Aside from our current motor home, it has been the most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned. Our first vehicle was a well used 67 Plymouth Fury. We "Love" our Altima....one of our best vehicles ever.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV cover vs shed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.