cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare on Class C

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. Yes, I know that but it doesn't make sense to me NOT to have one for Roadside Assistance to change it for me. Or do they have tires in stock to bring with them ?
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS
27 REPLIES 27

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
For you folks who want to start carrying a spare for their Class C, but also want to maybe carry along something else that requires use of the rear hitch ... you might want to consider a front hitch, in addition to the one in the back.

My preference would be to add a front hitch so as to either A) not have to carry a heavy thing that mounts in the back hitch or, B) not have to use a long hitch extension in the back that sticks out quite a bit for the carrying of two things. For a Class C, too much weight way at the back hanging off the hitch can negatively affect steering.

You have to do the snowplow math used for the front of a truck, to get the weight added to your rear axle from a rear bumper mounted spare on a C. Leverage from the overhang.

Using 75 lbs for the mounted spare, mine came to 135 lbs on the rear axle. A shorter C with less overhang would not be so much.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
My spare tire is my toad.

My camper does not have a spare tire.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
For you folks who want to start carrying a spare for their Class C, but also want to maybe carry along something else that requires use of the rear hitch ... you might want to consider a front hitch, in addition to the one in the back.

My preference would be to add a front hitch so as to either A) not have to carry a heavy thing that mounts in the back hitch or, B) not have to use a long hitch extension in the back that sticks out quite a bit for the carrying of two things. For a Class C, too much weight way at the back hanging off the hitch can negatively affect steering.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
vjswhippet: I'm with you as to your concerns. My rv didn't come with a spare tire either so I found one on Craigslist that had a brand new tire and rim. Next I found a Roadmaster spare tire carrier also on Craigslist that was used but in perfect shape. The Roadmaster ,which inserts into the tow hitch receiver, will allow you to pull a pin which releases the stored spare and easily pivots it to the ground for easy handling. Since I have hydraulic levelers for my rv, all I have to do is press a button and the problem tire is raised off the ground. To remove the lug nuts I have a battery operated 20volt 1/2" Dewalt impact wrench that easily loosens them up from 150ftlbs. That's the best I can do with tools and the rest is up to me to provide the muscle power which I can easily do still at 77 years old. By the way, the Roadmaster will allow you to also attach a bike carrier or any such thing behind it too.

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Coachman no spare? BS. Assuming Coachman was gracious enough to install a receiver hitch, use that for a spare wheel and tire. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Hitch-Mounted-Spare-Mount/dp/B0009YIE1O

f you're using the receiver for something else (bikes?) use this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-Receiver-Trailer-2-Inch/dp/B00371VLAC/ref=asc_df_B00371VLAC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241915008172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4505672379815143385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027838&hvtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1

that looks like a couple of great options ! There is a rear 2 inch receiver on the rear. Another tire carrier I saw was about $600 !! (from etrailer) Thank you for the links ..
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
I am 82 and like a lot of older RV'ers, I have problems doing a lot of things because of leg problems. Assuming that most RV'ers are physically capable of unbolting, jacking, breaking loose, removing, carrying a dual tire and wheel, and installing a spare (safely), DIY style, is not realistic.

I'm female and 65. I don't plan on changing the tire myself. But I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road for 6 hours waiting for someone to 1. come get my rim and take it to get a tire put on or 2. wait for someone to find a tire and rim that will work on my MH. 3. be towed somewhere and stuck in a motel until they can order a tire or rim to fit my rig.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do and probably a hitch tire carrier and finding a rim and a tire or at least having a tire ? hoping that if a roadside service can mount it on my rim there on the side of the road.

Someone asked .. "do you feel lucky" uhh no. I'd rather be somewhat prepared .. I just wanted my rear hitch for a bicycle rack. I don't take bicycles but I show dogs and carry the ex-pens on the bike rack. So plus being broke down with a flat and no spare, I'll have my show dogs with me.
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Coachman no spare? BS. Assuming Coachman was gracious enough to install a receiver hitch, use that for a spare wheel and tire. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Hitch-Mounted-Spare-Mount/dp/B0009YIE1O

f you're using the receiver for something else (bikes?) use this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-Receiver-Trailer-2-Inch/dp/B00371VLAC/ref=asc_df_B00371VLAC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241915008172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4505672379815143385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027838&hvtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I am 82 and like a lot of older RV'ers, I have problems doing a lot of things because of leg problems. Assuming that most RV'ers are physically capable of unbolting, jacking, breaking loose, removing, carrying a dual tire and wheel, and installing a spare (safely), DIY style, is not realistic.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
vjswhippet wrote:
My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. Yes, I know that but it doesn't make sense to me NOT to have one for Roadside Assistance to change it for me. Or do they have tires in stock to bring with them ?
First of all, I would likely have flipped the dealer the bird for making such an absurd comment. How does he have any idea what you are capable of doing? Second, a spare on a class C is indeed relatively easy to change; no different than your average dually pickup, ALL of which come with a spare and the tools to change it. Finally, since RA is not always available (no cell service, out in the boonies, etc), and many WON'T go off the pavement, and you are also at the mercy of pricing/availability for a compatible tire, actually having a spare (mounted) and the tools to change it is simply the prudent way to go, whether you can change it yourself or not.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a spare and glad to have it along with a 6 ton bottle jack and wrench. The tire is not that heavy for this 63 year old scrawny guy. My spare tire mount is very high. If it is later becomes too much for me alone as I get older, I am sure I could find someone to help me lower it to the ground, and the flat up there.

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased a class C brand new in 2019 and it did not include a spare. Like many here I would lean towards roadside assistance if I ever needed to replace on the road, but I travel many places with no cell service so I need to be independently prepared. Immediately after buying the new rig I purchased a new Ford wheel and an exact match Hankook tire which I had mounted up. My C has an enclosed spare tire compartment so I threw the new mounted spare in there and paid it no mind. I moved the jack and breaker bar from the old rig to new.

End of first year as an experiment I tried to mount the spare using tools I haul with me, just to make sure I could do it. I tried worse-case-scenario - an inner dual failure on the driver's side. I was able to install the spare fairly easily with no issues.

BUT I learned was that even though I ordered a Ford wheel supposedly identical to the OEM wheels installed on my rig, the new wheel does NOT clear the rear brakes on the inner dual. It rubs and makes noise when mounted (SO CLOSE.) I did not try on the front. So what I did was put the "spare" I purchased after buying the rig on the outer dual and put a factory wheel as the spare. Now I know the "spare" will work in any position. I would have not known of the brake clearance issue had I not tried to replace in the driveway. So that was very much worth my time.

I encourage everyone that carries a spare try to install it in their driveway using only tools they carry with them, if they intend to be able to install it themselves. It made me feel much better trying it myself and it was not any more difficult than any regular tire replacement as long as you have a long breaker bar and the correct 6pt socket. Just the fact it made me feel more confident made it worth it, and what I learned about the brake clearance was definitely best learned in your own driveway.
Patrick

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mgirardo wrote:
I was chatting with a fellow camper once that told me he had a spare for his Class A, but it wasn't mounted and with his road side assistance either CoachNet or GoodSam, I can't remember which, he had to pay $100 to remove the flat from the rim and put the spare on.

So check with what your Roadside Assistance Program offers.

-Michael

Different scenario with med/heavy truck tires. Far more common to carry an un-mounted spare.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
vjswhippet wrote:
My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway.

Typical slimy dealerspeak. First, a spare is an option on yours any every RV I've seen. Second, what does your ability have to do with being prepared.

Adding a tire carrier, front or back is easy and can be cheap to expensive depending on the option. Adding a spare tire/wheel can also be cheap or expensive. You have a very common size. Junkyards, craigslist, used tire places you can find a serviceable spare for probably $100 or less.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seattle Steve wrote:
I'm in the "I don't care about the spare" category. The last flat I had was as a teenager in 1972 on a motorcycle I bought from a friend for $100. But I do always replace my tires early and check the pressure and tire wear regularly.

If you're talking about the motorhome in your signature, the F-450 is very common and, should you need a replacement tire, will be easy to find. If you buy and carry a spare you have to remember to replace it every 7 years. If you're constantly replacing unused tires because of their age, that's wasted money. If I happen to need a tire on the road, even if they charge me double the going rate, I'm still way ahead on money.

So, no spare (or roadside assistance plan, or extended warranty) for me. I self-insure on everything, and over the years I am way ahead financially. On the rare occasion I need something, I rely on a credit card and the promise of a really good tip to the person taking care of me.

Well, that's one way to look at it and I admire the self-insured plan.
However not having a flat tire since 1972 means one of 2 things.
Either 1, you have not driven alot compared to the average person, since 1972, or 2 you are a very lucky person.
Agreed with proper care, pressure, etc the chances of a "blowout" are very very slim, however the chances of an object damaging a tire are not. Especially with a dually as the outside duals often track outside the normal wheel path and are more susceptible to picking up something that will puncture the tire than a narrow wheel base vehicle.
To each their own though. I suppose you could just as easily have a different mechanical issue that leaves you stopped on the side of the road and we don't prepare for all the possibilities, so...