Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Spare on Class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Spare on Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our spare is on a holder that goes on the rear bumper (that holds the sewer hose)

I agree with those who say have a spare the RA can use if you have a flat. It is possible to change your own if necessary. Front single is a lot easier than the inner dual though [emoticon]

Had a flat. BTDT. Oh, and with the spare if mounted, be sure and make sure it has air in it from time to time or it adds to the hassle if it is flat too! [emoticon]

">][image]

* This post was edited 01/26/21 06:39pm by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Class C -- 2018 model E450 -- and I am one of those "be prepared" type of folks. I ordered a Class C spare tire holder from eTrailer. It's not cheap, but that's because the tire/wheel for a C is HEAVY. The holder is extremely heavy duty.

For the Wheel and Tire, I went to my local Ford dealer, got the wheel. I saw that you can buy the wheel online as well..eTrailer.

Call or search eTrailer....they have what you need. The great thing about the spare tire holder is that it uses your hitch...and it has built in another tube for you to still tow. We can still flat tow our Jeep with the spare installed.

And, yes, all told I'm thinking it was about $800 for the holder, tire, wheel. Not cheap, but worth it.

Also -- I carry a large 5T bottle jack. If I had to, I could use my boards and the jack to lift he RV just enough to change a tire. We have auto leveling system (hydraulic), and I've tested this in driveway...I would use that system to help stabilize and lift as needed.

Lastly, I bought a middle of the road (about $100) cordless impact just for changing tires. Right out of the box, after battery charge, I could not believe it....it actually was able to remove ALL LUGS from one tire...and reinstall (of course I used a torque wrench to finish it out).

Point is...I bought the stuff, then "practiced" using it to ensure I had what I need. I'm an engineer by trade, so blame that on the fact that once I have a plan or theory, I must test it to be sure.

eTrailer....call 'em.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjswhippet wrote:

My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. Yes, I know that but it doesn't make sense to me NOT to have one for Roadside Assistance to change it for me. Or do they have tires in stock to bring with them ?

When we owned our Class C motorhome, we had AAA Plus with RV. The with RV portion covered replacing spare tire and towing if necessary. AAA, however, would only cover removing the flat tire and putting my already mounted spare tire on. The spare had to be mounted on a rim. Although any mobile tire repair guy could bring a spare tire to mount, AAA would not cover it. I was chatting with a fellow camper once that told me he had a spare for his Class A, but it wasn't mounted and with his road side assistance either CoachNet or GoodSam, I can't remember which, he had to pay $100 to remove the flat from the rim and put the spare on.

So check with what your Roadside Assistance Program offers.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a trailer hitch to put on the front of your C mh. Then you could put a split tire carrier up front, less weight added to the rear.
I bought a remote hand pump for my bottle jack, sure is nice not having to lay under mh when raising rear axel.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

I'm in the "I don't care about the spare" category. The last flat I had was as a teenager in 1972 on a motorcycle I bought from a friend for $100. But I do always replace my tires early and check the pressure and tire wear regularly.

If you're talking about the motorhome in your signature, the F-450 is very common and, should you need a replacement tire, will be easy to find. If you buy and carry a spare you have to remember to replace it every 7 years. If you're constantly replacing unused tires because of their age, that's wasted money. If I happen to need a tire on the road, even if they charge me double the going rate, I'm still way ahead on money.

So, no spare (or roadside assistance plan, or extended warranty) for me. I self-insure on everything, and over the years I am way ahead financially. On the rare occasion I need something, I rely on a credit card and the promise of a really good tip to the person taking care of me.

Well, that's one way to look at it and I admire the self-insured plan.
However not having a flat tire since 1972 means one of 2 things.
Either 1, you have not driven alot compared to the average person, since 1972, or 2 you are a very lucky person.
Agreed with proper care, pressure, etc the chances of a "blowout" are very very slim, however the chances of an object damaging a tire are not. Especially with a dually as the outside duals often track outside the normal wheel path and are more susceptible to picking up something that will puncture the tire than a narrow wheel base vehicle.
To each their own though. I suppose you could just as easily have a different mechanical issue that leaves you stopped on the side of the road and we don't prepare for all the possibilities, so...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjswhippet wrote:

My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway.

Typical slimy dealerspeak. First, a spare is an option on yours any every RV I've seen. Second, what does your ability have to do with being prepared.

Adding a tire carrier, front or back is easy and can be cheap to expensive depending on the option. Adding a spare tire/wheel can also be cheap or expensive. You have a very common size. Junkyards, craigslist, used tire places you can find a serviceable spare for probably $100 or less.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

I was chatting with a fellow camper once that told me he had a spare for his Class A, but it wasn't mounted and with his road side assistance either CoachNet or GoodSam, I can't remember which, he had to pay $100 to remove the flat from the rim and put the spare on.

So check with what your Roadside Assistance Program offers.

-Michael

Different scenario with med/heavy truck tires. Far more common to carry an un-mounted spare.

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a class C brand new in 2019 and it did not include a spare. Like many here I would lean towards roadside assistance if I ever needed to replace on the road, but I travel many places with no cell service so I need to be independently prepared. Immediately after buying the new rig I purchased a new Ford wheel and an exact match Hankook tire which I had mounted up. My C has an enclosed spare tire compartment so I threw the new mounted spare in there and paid it no mind. I moved the jack and breaker bar from the old rig to new.

End of first year as an experiment I tried to mount the spare using tools I haul with me, just to make sure I could do it. I tried worse-case-scenario - an inner dual failure on the driver's side. I was able to install the spare fairly easily with no issues.

BUT I learned was that even though I ordered a Ford wheel supposedly identical to the OEM wheels installed on my rig, the new wheel does NOT clear the rear brakes on the inner dual. It rubs and makes noise when mounted (SO CLOSE.) I did not try on the front. So what I did was put the "spare" I purchased after buying the rig on the outer dual and put a factory wheel as the spare. Now I know the "spare" will work in any position. I would have not known of the brake clearance issue had I not tried to replace in the driveway. So that was very much worth my time.

I encourage everyone that carries a spare try to install it in their driveway using only tools they carry with them, if they intend to be able to install it themselves. It made me feel much better trying it myself and it was not any more difficult than any regular tire replacement as long as you have a long breaker bar and the correct 6pt socket. Just the fact it made me feel more confident made it worth it, and what I learned about the brake clearance was definitely best learned in your own driveway.

Patrick

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a spare and glad to have it along with a 6 ton bottle jack and wrench. The tire is not that heavy for this 63 year old scrawny guy. My spare tire mount is very high. If it is later becomes too much for me alone as I get older, I am sure I could find someone to help me lower it to the ground, and the flat up there.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjswhippet wrote:

My new Class C does not have a spare tire. When I asked the dealership about it, they told me I wouldn't be able to change it anyway. Yes, I know that but it doesn't make sense to me NOT to have one for Roadside Assistance to change it for me. Or do they have tires in stock to bring with them ?
First of all, I would likely have flipped the dealer the bird for making such an absurd comment. How does he have any idea what you are capable of doing? Second, a spare on a class C is indeed relatively easy to change; no different than your average dually pickup, ALL of which come with a spare and the tools to change it. Finally, since RA is not always available (no cell service, out in the boonies, etc), and many WON'T go off the pavement, and you are also at the mercy of pricing/availability for a compatible tire, actually having a spare (mounted) and the tools to change it is simply the prudent way to go, whether you can change it yourself or not.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 TriZinger, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Spare on Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.