Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Spare on Class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Spare on Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 82 and like a lot of older RV'ers, I have problems doing a lot of things because of leg problems. Assuming that most RV'ers are physically capable of unbolting, jacking, breaking loose, removing, carrying a dual tire and wheel, and installing a spare (safely), DIY style, is not realistic.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coachman no spare? BS. Assuming Coachman was gracious enough to install a receiver hitch, use that for a spare wheel and tire. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Hitch-Mounted-Spare-Mount/dp/B0009YIE1O

f you're using the receiver for something else (bikes?) use this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-Receiver-Trailer-2-Inch/dp/B00371VLAC/ref=asc_df_B00371VLAC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241915008172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4505672379815143385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027838&hvtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

vjswhippet

Cleveland, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

I am 82 and like a lot of older RV'ers, I have problems doing a lot of things because of leg problems. Assuming that most RV'ers are physically capable of unbolting, jacking, breaking loose, removing, carrying a dual tire and wheel, and installing a spare (safely), DIY style, is not realistic.

I'm female and 65. I don't plan on changing the tire myself. But I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road for 6 hours waiting for someone to 1. come get my rim and take it to get a tire put on or 2. wait for someone to find a tire and rim that will work on my MH. 3. be towed somewhere and stuck in a motel until they can order a tire or rim to fit my rig.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do and probably a hitch tire carrier and finding a rim and a tire or at least having a tire ? hoping that if a roadside service can mount it on my rim there on the side of the road.

Someone asked .. "do you feel lucky" uhh no. I'd rather be somewhat prepared .. I just wanted my rear hitch for a bicycle rack. I don't take bicycles but I show dogs and carry the ex-pens on the bike rack. So plus being broke down with a flat and no spare, I'll have my show dogs with me.

Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS

vjswhippet

Cleveland, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/21 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Coachman no spare? BS. Assuming Coachman was gracious enough to install a receiver hitch, use that for a spare wheel and tire. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Hitch-Mounted-Spare-Mount/dp/B0009YIE1O

f you're using the receiver for something else (bikes?) use this:
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-Receiver-Trailer-2-Inch/dp/B00371VLAC/ref=asc_df_B00371VLAC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241915008172&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4505672379815143385&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027838&hvtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1

that looks like a couple of great options ! There is a rear 2 inch receiver on the rear. Another tire carrier I saw was about $600 !! (from etrailer) Thank you for the links ..

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjswhippet: I'm with you as to your concerns. My rv didn't come with a spare tire either so I found one on Craigslist that had a brand new tire and rim. Next I found a Roadmaster spare tire carrier also on Craigslist that was used but in perfect shape. The Roadmaster ,which inserts into the tow hitch receiver, will allow you to pull a pin which releases the stored spare and easily pivots it to the ground for easy handling. Since I have hydraulic levelers for my rv, all I have to do is press a button and the problem tire is raised off the ground. To remove the lug nuts I have a battery operated 20volt 1/2" Dewalt impact wrench that easily loosens them up from 150ftlbs. That's the best I can do with tools and the rest is up to me to provide the muscle power which I can easily do still at 77 years old. By the way, the Roadmaster will allow you to also attach a bike carrier or any such thing behind it too.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you folks who want to start carrying a spare for their Class C, but also want to maybe carry along something else that requires use of the rear hitch ... you might want to consider a front hitch, in addition to the one in the back.

My preference would be to add a front hitch so as to either A) not have to carry a heavy thing that mounts in the back hitch or, B) not have to use a long hitch extension in the back that sticks out quite a bit for the carrying of two things. For a Class C, too much weight way at the back hanging off the hitch can negatively affect steering.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My spare tire is my toad.

My camper does not have a spare tire.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

For you folks who want to start carrying a spare for their Class C, but also want to maybe carry along something else that requires use of the rear hitch ... you might want to consider a front hitch, in addition to the one in the back.

My preference would be to add a front hitch so as to either A) not have to carry a heavy thing that mounts in the back hitch or, B) not have to use a long hitch extension in the back that sticks out quite a bit for the carrying of two things. For a Class C, too much weight way at the back hanging off the hitch can negatively affect steering.

You have to do the snowplow math used for the front of a truck, to get the weight added to your rear axle from a rear bumper mounted spare on a C. Leverage from the overhang.

Using 75 lbs for the mounted spare, mine came to 135 lbs on the rear axle. A shorter C with less overhang would not be so much.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Spare on Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.