cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace TV

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had already replaced the original TV years ago but now want to get a smart TV and get it a little bit bigger. As wide as what will fit between the side cabinets. Anyway I saw a picture of an install someone did that allowed the TV to be swung out for easy access behind. Any suggestions or pictures?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
11 REPLIES 11

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Just be sure that you can hear the TV when it is mounted, especially if the TV speakers are open to the back, and you mount the TV in a cabinet with only the face visible.

That is good advice. Most flat screens have rear mounted or down firing speakers. Some fire "through" the screen, some fire down and forward, usually at the bottom edge of the screen. One thing I've noticed is that flat screens retrofitted into old tube TV installations in older RVs do have a bit of an audio problem due to how the speakers work in these new TVs. It is almost as if we have to surface mount the new TVs to really get great audio performance. My rig is older and the previous owner did a really nice job of mounting a flat screen in the front TV enclosure, even tried to accommodate the audio issue presented by putting the TV in the enclosure, but it still requires the volume to be way up to enjoy the audio, and it still sounds tinny. On the other hand I'm working on replacing the tube tv in the back bedroom and have already determined that I'll "plug" up the hole that the current TV sits in with a finished wood panel, and then mount the bracket to that panel, and the new TV will be surface mounted to that bracket. I'll put a hidden hole and grommet in the panel and all the wiring will go back to the original outelts (12v and 120v) and coax port.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just be sure that you can hear the TV when it is mounted, especially if the TV speakers are open to the back, and you mount the TV in a cabinet with only the face visible.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, that looks great, I wish I had known about it when I did ours!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
This is the type of mount I was thinking of for a bedroom application I'm looking to retofit a new flat screen in place of the old tube tv that is back there.

Locking TV mount

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
You'll want to find locking, articulated mounts. These are often designed specifically for RV use. You'll be able to identify these because they usually have some kind of pull chain that releases the articulating arm from a folded and locked position and when you fold up the mount and TV, you'll notice a distinctive click as the mount locks closed and holds the TV tight against the wall or space it is mounted. I've seen numerous ones on Amazon, but also at RV parts dealers and even CW.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced our built in front mounted TV with a larger flat screen on the swing out mounts. I really like it but I do strap it in tight when traveling.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I had some nice 5/8 plywood and made a door to mount my TV on.

The door is hung with a piano hinge from the top and a folding cabinet
door prop to hold it up when accessing the cabinet

https://www.ebay.com/i/265000907285?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid...

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a swing out mounted 19 LCD TV. Your mounting point needs to be really solid. I bungee my TV when traveling. Also bigger TV means more power consumption if you boondock and more weight on the mount.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Swing out TVs are great but make sure they are strapped carefully when traveling.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the same recently, wasn't overly complicated, sorry no pics to post. I have mounted our swing out hdtv brackets to a sturdy cabinet in the past, but with our Class A I mounted the tv bracket directly to the steel cage overhead. Solid as a rock, can be pivoted to virtually any viewing position, and readily swings out to easily access cabinets behind tv. Didn't use any specific tv bracket brand, just went to Amazon and ordered what was best suited to handle the weight/size, and provide full articulation.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make tv mounts that allow the TV to extend out, swivel as needed. They make all kinds but here is one on Amazon.

TV Mount

Just a word about size... Make sure you measure the exact dimensions of the TV and space where you want it to fit and donโ€™t assume all 32โ€ TVโ€™s (as an example) are the same physical size.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT