cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10" hitch riser

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Class B+ and have recently purchased 2 ebikes along with a Kuat bike carrier. The carrier is made for ebikes & RVs. I think I need a 10" hitch riser to give visibility to my taillights & licenses plate. Is that an excessive rise for stability sake? I do plan on using a hitch stabilizer on the riser.
The carrier is rated for quite a bit more weight than the 2 bikes weigh, so I'm OK from that stand point.
If a riser of that height won't work, I'll have to devise something for the taillights & plate to be visible.
thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
18 REPLIES 18

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
I can see many new pandemic RVers getting disgruntled with all the "add on's" needed. We've been at this a bit now and still constantly adding or up grading something.
Tank sensors are next on our list. And it just keeps growing!!!
I agree.

As you know, we have owned our rig since new in 2007 and I still find little things to improve upon. It would make me crazy if it wasn't a hobby. One thing certain, the next owner will get one great old rig.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be getting our carrier this week or next. That's when we'll see just what kind, if any, riser will be needed. Hope not. Just one more thing to buy and carry about.
I can see many new pandemic RVers getting disgruntled with all the "add on's" needed. We've been at this a bit now and still constantly adding or up grading something.
Tank sensors are next on our list. And it just keeps growing!!!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
I have a bicycle carrier that goes in the trailer hitch. Instead of a pin, it has a nut welded in the hitch and a bolt that screws/tightens into the carrier.
Are you certain it eliminates the play within the connection? I bolt my bike rack to my SUV, but the play remains.

I was using it on the front of our mh. Yes it held good. Never used just a pin only so hard to compare.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
I was surprised to read that you felt the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch was not effective. I use a riser with a Quiet Hitch at each connection as shown below. Once they are on, there is "zero play" in the system.

The Quite Hitch has served me well on the MH. With more limited hitch space on the cars it doesn't fit so I now use the following for $12 and the vice hitch is overpriced IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N22S92X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like what you have better. It does the same as the Quiet Hitch but at a fraction of the price, and seemingly more robust.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I have a bicycle carrier that goes in the trailer hitch. Instead of a pin, it has a nut welded in the hitch and a bolt that screws/tightens into the carrier.
Are you certain it eliminates the play within the connection? I bolt my bike rack to my SUV, but the play remains.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not have the bike carrier yet, should arrive the end of this month or early next. I need to try it with the larger ebike, we have 2, his & hers just to see if I have to raise it or not. Never thought of visibility of lights through the spokes. Knew I came here for a reason. Might need to raise it a bit just for ground clearance if nothing else, being extended from the body & all.
And the carrier I bought comes with a stabilizer, so if I do get a riser I'd only need one for that.
Thanks for all the good suggestions and such.

Stay safe.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
I was surprised to read that you felt the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch was not effective. I use a riser with a Quiet Hitch at each connection as shown below. Once they are on, there is "zero play" in the system.

The Quite Hitch has served me well on the MH. With more limited hitch space on the cars it doesn't fit so I now use the following for $12 and the vice hitch is overpriced IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N22S92X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Using a riser is fine if that's what you need. No real analysis needed.
Like mentioned though, bet you can see the lights just fine through the bike wheels.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
You mentioned using one hitch stabilizer. I would use one on each of the two connections to minimize or eliminate the thrashing of your E-bikes. Ron

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing any damage to the bike rack and Bikes

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type, or blue ox totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
That surely looks to be very easy to install. I like that!

I like your recommendation specifically for the quick on/off feature. I leave mine attached all trip long which helps make the Quiet Hitch work.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you try the bikes on the rack of the rv yet ? Are you sure the taillights are blocked ? They usually shine thru the spokes.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
What I have done to stabilize the bikes is just adding a couple of ratchet tie down straps. On my Carrier, the bike wheels sat in a carrier and I put the straps around the wheel and mounting cradle, the other end to the bumper bracket on the MH. On on each end of the bike and snugged down. Three point tie down made the bikes quite stable.
You don't need premium quality tie downs, think Harbor Freight (Princess Auto in Canada) or Walmart etc.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
You mentioned using one hitch stabilizer. I would use one on each of the two connections to minimize or eliminate the thrashing of your E-bikes. Ron

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing any damage to the bike rack and Bikes

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type, or blue ox totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
X2 I use 2.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob