cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were back in a travel trailer, just bought an Airstream.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Hello this surprised the heck out of me but it happened.

The wife and I have owned two travel trailers and two truck campers over the years, we bought our last truck camper new in 2011. We have been shopping for a new travel trailer for the last six months; we had decided it was the best option for us.
We’ve been retired for six years now and that it was time to sell our truck camper as now we stay out longer and needed more space. We wanted something around 22-26 feet and on the higher quality line of the spectrum. We shopped the largest models by Lance, Arctic Fox and Bigfoot and found that all of our local dealers were back ordered and we were looking at around 40k to 50k for those models.
A friend recently mentioned to me a used Airstream he had spotted for sale that looked like new and was in the same price range. We hadn’t even considered an Airstream other than walking thru them at the RV Shows in years past.
A few days later we made a deal on a mint 2013 Airstream International 25FB for less than a couple of the new trailers we had shopped.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.
23 REPLIES 23

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I just noticed a few people recently posted in this older thread, so I’ll give you an update on it.

We used the 2013 Airstream 25fb for two summers. First off, we didn’t have any problems or failures with it at all during that time, it truly was trouble free. It towed great behind my 1999 Ram/ Cummins 2500 and we really enjoyed using it traveling all around the western states. We sold it last fall for much more than we paid for it in just a week. Even though it was trouble free there were several things we wanted that it didn’t have.

Coming out of a truck camper the Airstream’s interior size was fine for us, but we really wanted both a dinette and a separate couch. We also decided we wanted to upgrade to a north / south bed so one person isn’t squeezed up against the back wall. The last big item that would determine that we would need a 2015 or newer if we stayed with Airstream was ducted A/C. After being inside a few fellow campers Airstream’s we couldn’t believe how much quieter the ducted A/C system is.

After watching all of the RV site for sale ad’s for two months, we found what we were looking for a few days before Christmas and I bought it less than 10 hours after it was listed.

We now own a 2018 Airstream 28rb queen bed, it was a one owner that was used very little and stored inside all of the time. The owner was a very meticulous retired engineer, he was one of the few RV owners I’ve ever met that understands all of the systems in a RV as well as I do. That really assured me that it was taken care of and everything was in proper order. It has all of the items on our list plus two ducted A/C’s.

We haven’t got to use it yet as the weather has been way to cold and snowy here. But I expect we will be out on our first trip in early April. I was out at our storage garage today installing the Dish system from our last Airstream.

Happy Camping

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Depreciation is just about bottomed out at 10-15/years. Best age to buy one as that’s a trailer “better” in used condition (design & construction) than the plastic white boxes churned out as fast as possible.

The 2013 boxes are about ready for being removed from the road. 70k mile lifespan, more or less

A/S and its upmarket cousins no longer in production are quarter-century before refurbishment (as needed), and 250k mile lifespan (before major work).

If RV’ng isn’t a great number of miles annually, then a box with slide-outs is okay. If long-term ownership and long-distance travel is the thing, get the trailer built for it.

As to “space”, just how many interior cubic feet do you intend to hear or cool? How much work do you want to do in cleaning? Repair & refurbish?

I’d have chosen a 27-28’ as that’s the best opening size for full-time travel (capacities) given that inclement weather or being ill can leave one confined for days. Not any harder to tow, or to back.

A 22-24’ has the advantage of more TVs that can be used. Full independent suspension and short rear overhang and better power-to-weight ratio means a better highway rig. If the bed of the pickup is just some storage that could be done elsewhere, then living with a better TV design is easier travel (past greater highway stability).

AIR forums has a decent amount of info on most subjects. “Tech” is generally better, here (past A/S particulars).

Disc brakes are a strong recommendation for any TT. ZANETTI and others do installs (TRANSWEST in CO, another). GCinSC has an excellent write-up. Same for experience by guskmg. 4-whl TV disc plus TT disc is — as with big trucks — a whole other world.

Downgrade control and breaking forward momentum is what matters. Not speed on an ascent.

An early 3rd Gen or previous CTD is a good pairing. 15-MPG is what I average with my 35’ Silver Streak in the south-central USA. Consistent comps with more than a dozen others pulling 28-34’ A/S. One can break into the low 20s with a TurboDiesel car or SUV given a 22-24’ A/S and the desire to keep fuel burn lowest (some planning; some new habits).

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about Airstream is they hold the value better than most.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look above and click on the "Classified" tab. You will get lots of trailers to look at.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Nice!

And... pictures?!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you haven't already found it, check out the Airstream Forums.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sionel09
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad that you found an airstream that you love! I bet it was a great surprise to find one in your price range. Airstreams are definitely high quality trailers and I'm sure you will enjoy many years of use from it.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, now the hard part is waiting for winter to end so we can try it out.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Congrats! Beautiful trailer!
Happy campin...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, enjoy it.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
What? no one has jumped in yet and bad mouthed the Airstreams? 🙂

They are well made, and tow nicely due to the low profile and streamlined profile. Glad you found one. In these days and times, RV's are in short supply (not so much in winter) and used one are generally bring way too much money, so it sounds like you got real lucky, and had enough sense to jump on it right away.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Congratulations and I am a bit envious.

Thank you, and please don't be envious were not wealthy people that could write a check for a new Airstream. The surprise to me was I hadn't even considered a used Airstream purchase in our search.

The camper market here is hot so the sale of our old truck camper paid for half of the new trailer. In fact we sold it for just a few thousand less than we paid new, but now that same model new is 20k more.

The seller seemed motivated and offered us a very good deal; I guess right place and right time. That never seems to happen to me.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations and I am a bit envious.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch