Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Victron BMS 712 ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Victron BMS 712 ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave my batteries 2x6 volt, Victron charge controller, bogart battery monitor display, and television/entertainment system all in our trailer all winter for last 4-5 years with no problems and having temps go as low as -40C.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that it’s a battery chemistry issue (physics) which is of high significance...

3 tons

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allow it to warm before you put it back in service or it may not function as expected.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is that from experience ? It would lose some value for me as I would like to monitor batteries in sub zero temps .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might work fine. Keep your head on for irregularities.
Otherwise you would need to contact Victron directly. Distributer is not going to know much in most circumstances.

prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

Is that from experience ? It would lose some value for me as I would like to monitor batteries in sub zero temps .

Not sure who the question is directed too. As I stated before I leave all electronics in the trailer all year long. I check battery charge level approximately once a week on the trimetric it works fine, I also have the smart battery sense from Victron which relays temp directly from the battery box to the charge controller about 8-10 feet away. Everything works fine and displays fine. I should also mention the charge controller is Bluetooth and I can check battery, temperature and solar panels from inside my house. Trailer is near house in driveway. The only issue I have is after a snowfall I have to sweep the snow off the panels as they are flat mounted on roof. And even that if snowing for a few days I don’t clean off the panels until snowfall quits. I hope this helps your decision making. I also wrote to victron about the same concerns you have regarding the operating temperature. This was a few years ago and if I remember correctly the reply was the specs are what they where tested to but would work beyond that. They told me to google electronics and cold temperature operation to ease my mind, electronics don’t mind cold it’s heat that can harm.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question was directed to time2roll , his response puzzled me and I don’t think he is using the Victron monitor. I’m encouraged by your experience with cold weather. It seems you can’t contact Victron directly, they advise contacting a distributor .

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My use and experience is the same as prairie campers, except our temps go to -40F. [emoticon]

I leave everything connected and powered up and use the Victron to check state of charge to make sure my solar is keeping the 2X12V AGM batteries up.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah , music to my ears . Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Victron BMS 712 ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.