Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding Hitch for Bike carrier on rear??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Adding Hitch for Bike carrier on rear??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blaczero wrote:

Bottom line, don't do it. I had a 5 bike Thule rack on my 37' TT hitch and the bike rack itself broke.

The distance from the last axle to the hitch is greater than most bike racks are rated for, the bouncing is too much torque on the rack. Forget the bumper/hitch/mount itself, the rack will break.

Either get a rack on the front of your truck or top of the truck. Or this for a couple bikes: https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-80503-The-Straddler/dp/B07DVZML5X

Ok thx. Yes this confirms are thoughts! No bikes on back of trailer [emoticon]) will
Explore the other ideas. Thanks so much!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

will
Explore the other ideas. Thanks so much!

For a while there was a mini-van running around town that had a unique idea about transporting his bikes. You know the type of rack that mounts to the trunk lid of a sedan, holds bikes behind the car? Mount it to the hood.

jukes

Aptos

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so thinking to carry 2 bikes on front of the Excursion, then figure out the rest.. perhaps these, can also use the Bike Rack on my Mazda cx-9 when home ( i needed to get a bike rack anyways):
https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2003_Ford_Excursion.htm?&Redirect=8
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH9044.html

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do make a rack that goes around the 2” hitch shank. It slides over and then you slide the WD hitch into the receiver. Just another, better option. That’s the problem with SUV’s. Lots of interior room for people and stuff, but no room for bikes. And not once did I even consider trying to lift 4 bikes up into a roof bike rack.

BTW, I had an 02 Excursion so I know exactly what you are talking about. But my trailer frame was an 8” I beam frame. So I could use a bike rack on the back of mine. But the bikes and rack have to be solidly mounted do they don’t bounce around!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tll

NW Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2" receiver welded to the frame of my camper. I then purchased two Swagman RV two bike racks, and then attached the rack part to a section of thick walled 2" square tubing. This made two-2 bike racks into one-4 bike rack. Works great so far, 20,000 miles of towing. See pic below.

Bike Rack

* This post was edited 03/03/21 06:19pm by tll *

2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front receiver is the easy answer, I've had 4 heavy Walmart specials on the front of my truck for most of the last 30k miles without issue other than occasionally scraping the pavement on a really steep driveway.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the strength problems of a rear receiver rack, I don’t see the TAIL LIGHT MODIFICATIONS NEEDED BY EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The motorcycle one is worst. Bubba, you NEED a second set of tail lamps mounted ABOVE the scooter. At roofline would be good.

As to someone with an Excusion, put them on the roof. Or get a toy hauler. Bikes ain’t a requirement, but safety IS.

The weight out back worsens the polar moment of inertia. Against trailer tires and against the worst designed tow vehicle of the past 25-years. Bad mojo all around. Trailer TW isn’t the issue (static measure placeholder), it’s the on-road dynamics of a combination vehicle. Camber change, wind gust, tire problem. Don’t make a bad thing worse.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Adding Hitch for Bike carrier on rear??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.