Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Directv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I sign up for Directv with a billing address in Florida, what network affiliates can I expect to receive? Back story I was a long time (20 years) Directv customer receiving both LA & NY distant networks. I cancelled my Directv service over a year ago when it looked like Directv was going to lose distant networks.

I call AT&T today and ask them which network affiliates I can receive now, NY or LA? The representative insists that if I sign up with my florida address, that I would receive for example NBC local news from the Orlando affiliate even if I am parked in Wyoming - IS THAT TRUE?

Has AT&T changed the spot beam technology that Directv used to use? I have a Winegard Traveler already.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would loose the local channels when we go over so many miles from home . Usually less than 100.

missnmountains

Southwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you depart your spot beam area you will not receive any local channels. For me in SW Florida, I loose them around Lake City.

Ken

2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you're going to lose the local channels.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An ongoing problem. When AT&T took them over they hired support out to overseas and the only thing these clowns know is to read what shows up ON THEIR OWN COMPUTER SCREEN. My experience was that if they couldn't read it, they'd wing it and say anything. We dumped DIRECTV and went with Dish. Cheaper, better channel selection and the people you talk to on the phone actually know what they're talking about and HELP. We run Dish through a Hopper and Joey from an RF MOGUL antenna. We'd been with DIRECTV over 15 years. Best move I ever made. Should have done it 10 years earlier. BTW, One downside. When you cancel DIRECTV, they will call you CONSTANTLY trying to get you back for a 50% discount. I must have 50 of their phone numbers blocked. A real PITA.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a long history of moving the DTV receiver to the RV and changing the SERVICE address when I travel out of the spot beam so that I get new locals. The distance can be short or long depending upon where you travel relative to the spot beam. For example I get the San Francisco locals from N CA into OR. The reception can become marginal when you are on the fringes of the spot beam because the gain is less. I never change the BILLING address.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

If I sign up for Directv with a billing address in Florida, what network affiliates can I expect to receive? Back story I was a long time (20 years) Directv customer receiving both LA & NY distant networks. I cancelled my Directv service over a year ago when it looked like Directv was going to lose distant networks. My understanding is that DNS is no longer available for RVs.

I call AT&T today and ask them which network affiliates I can receive now, NY or LA? The representative insists that if I sign up with my florida address, that I would receive for example NBC local news from the Orlando affiliate even if I am parked in Wyoming - IS THAT TRUE? Not true. You will be out of the Orlando spot beam. You can change the service address and get the locals including NBC for your Wyoming service address.

Has AT&T changed the spot beam technology that Directv used to use? No. I have a Winegard Traveler already.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought DTV straightened out their Distant Networks issues? Are they no longer offering them? Dish makes it so easy to change locals with a few taps on an app with an "Outdoor" account that I've never missed having DNS.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make your service address either LA or NY. Then you'll always get those.

* This post was edited 01/28/21 09:04am by 2oldman *

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe DNS is still available for RV Accounts (not household). You can only get one set (NY or LA) and it will be the ones closest to your billing address.

I have read that an LA or NY billing address gets them across the country, but others have written that is not true; the spot beam is LA is different from the country wide (CONUS?) signal. Beats me, and I have no way to verify.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.