Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
ronharmless

The far side

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't need to tell them anything. There not going to stop making them as long as the sales still justify keeping on manufacturing them. Regardless of what their sales plan says, their not going to cut off their nose to spite their face. If their still making a profit on them, they'll keep making them.

If EV sales are so good that they can't make a decent profit on ICE, then I guess I'm just out of luck. My bet is that's not going to happen. YOMV

* This post was edited 02/03/21 12:43pm by ronharmless *

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can all hope that the 1930's come around again with coal fired freight trains and all that goes with it. Or, we can hope and plan for a better future. Foot draggers are foot draggers, no matter the generation. They never win.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

ronharmless wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Ok let's make this another doomsday for Tesla thread [emoticon]
I don't believe anyone on here said Tesla and EV's are doomed. I believe they are saying they will never completely eliminate the ICE cars and light trucks (as some on here are certainly implying).

For my self, until they can go about 400 miles (without stopping) in the dead of winter (with the heat and wipers on), I won't be buying one. And my light truck will need to do a 400 mile trip (at the speed limit) in the heat of the summer (with AC on) pulling a 7600 lbs camper.

Well, don’t tell us, tell GM. It’s there business plan. And you may as well let VW know as well as they have a similar business plan, and they are the biggest vehicle manufacturers in the world.

Or they can apply for the job of. GM new CEO with their thesis that he should be hired because the company is wrong for what they just announced.[emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Are they still on this?[emoticon][emoticon]

ronharmless

The far side

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

ronharmless wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I don't believe anyone on here said Tesla and EV's are doomed. I believe they are saying they will never completely eliminate the ICE cars and light trucks (as some on here are certainly implying).

For my self, until they can go about 400 miles (without stopping) in the dead of winter (with the heat and wipers on), I won't be buying one. And my light truck will need to do a 400 mile trip (at the speed limit) in the heat of the summer (with AC on) pulling a 7600 lbs camper.

Well, don’t tell us, tell GM. It’s there business plan. And you may as well let VW know as well as they have a similar business plan, and they are the biggest vehicle manufacturers in the world.

Or they can apply for the job of. GM new CEO with their thesis that he should be hired because the company is wrong for what they just announced.[emoticon]
Just like in 2008 when GM slashed SUV production in favor of sedans because gas prices were rising. Guess what, that market plan was wrong and had to change. They're making more SUVs now then ever. Like I said, regardless of what the plan is, they'll respond to the market, whatever that may be at the time.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronharmless wrote:

Just like in 2008 when GM slashed SUV production in favor of sedans because gas prices were rising. Guess what, that market plan was wrong and had to change. They're making more SUVs now then ever. Like I said, regardless of what the plan is, they'll respond to the market, whatever that may be at the time.
You mean they may change plans depending on the market? Gasp, don't spread that around, some people believe that the corporations would never fudge like that. Cough, cough.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronharmless wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I understand what your saying but that criteria is really not what the masses demand. I don't think many EV buyers consider those terms deal breaking.
The 350 mile range and 1 hour recharge time is sort of a sweet spot for many..
On the other hand you maybe in luck because 350 miles is currently doable. Won't belong before 400 miles is achievable.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronharmless wrote:

I don't need to tell them anything. There not going to stop making them as long as the sales still justify keeping on manufacturing them. Regardless of what their sales plan says, their not going to cut off their nose to spite their face. If their still making a profit on them, they'll keep making them.

If EV sales are so good that they can't make a decent profit on ICE, then I guess I'm just out of luck. My bet is that's not going to happen. YOMV

EV technology is so good that the ICE will be squeezed out of the market place. Remember pay phones whoever thought they would be squeezed out!
The writing is on the wall some of us just don't want to read it.
Just don't be the one caught with a pocket of quarters wandering around looking to make a phone call.
But you want concrete proof that the ICE is really obsolete drive a Tesla

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/21 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

ronharmless wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I understand what your saying but that criteria is really not what the masses demand. I don't think many EV buyers consider those terms deal breaking.
The 350 mile range and 1 hour recharge time is sort of a sweet spot for many..
On the other hand you maybe in luck because 350 miles is currently doable. Won't belong before 400 miles is achievable.

Well, at least per the EPA standard, the Tesla Model S is 412 miles. Of course that is also a 79000 dollar car. The model S Plaid plus is orderable now and it is over 500 miles of range and zero to 60 in under 2 seconds. But that is something like 120 grand.

On the other hand a model 3 AWD is around 48 grand and it has over 350 miles of EPA range. And charge times are nowhere near an hour. Personally I have never been at a Supercharger for more than 20 minutes in ours and usually shorter. Of course it is a lot slower with zero to 60... around 4 seconds. [emoticon]

Anyway, different folks have different needs.

* This post was edited 02/03/21 03:42pm by Reisender *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/21 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

400 miles would be more than double the range of my gasser truck while towing.
Maybe I will have to go electric to get better range [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.