Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

Certainly interesting for sure. Lots of things to consider though...
Where is the power coming from? Clean renewable energy is great to hope for, but unrealistic to power the entire world. Maybe PV tech will make leaps and bounds.
How are we storing excess power? Manufacturing of batteries is a high cost, financially and in resources and waste. Tesla has greatly improved batteries, but my yearly 200 mile round trip to Florida would require a LOT of battery charging or swapping.
COST? New technology is expensive. You need significant buy-in to bring the price down per vehicle. This being GM, and with Biden's federal fleet program, I'm sure that our tax dollars will be spent subsidizing this program, but at what cost?

Again, interesting idea and I'm hopeful for new innovations. I always wonder why we don't have more technology like our trains are doing with diesel electric engines.

Did you mean 2000 mile round trip? A 200 mile round trip can be fine by pretty much every EV on the North American market with no charging. Typo?

I would like to know of that shortcut to get from DC to florida in 100 miles. the same math is being used in these fanciful dreaming ideas.
bumpy

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't need no stinking electric vehicles, airplanes, smartphones, or Internet. Backward Ho!

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

Where is the power coming from? Clean renewable energy is great to hope for, but unrealistic to power the entire world. Maybe PV tech will make leaps and bounds.
How are we storing excess power? Manufacturing of batteries is a high cost, financially and in resources and waste. Tesla has greatly improved batteries, but my yearly 200 mile round trip to Florida would require a LOT of battery charging or swapping.
COST? New technology is expensive. You need significant buy-in to bring the price down per vehicle. This being GM, and with Biden's federal fleet program, I'm sure that our tax dollars will be spent subsidizing this program, but at what cost?

Again, interesting idea and I'm hopeful for new innovations. I always wonder why we don't have more technology like our trains are doing with diesel electric engines.

Did you mean 2000 mile round trip? A 200 mile round trip can be fine by pretty much every EV on the North American market with no charging. Typo?

I would like to know of that shortcut to get from DC to florida in 100 miles. the same math is being used in these fanciful dreaming ideas.
bumpy

Well, I don’t know the geography of the US much. But if it’s a typo and it’s supposed to be a 2000 mile return trip that is 1000 miles each way. So probably two days there and two days back. So no sweat for the most commonly sold EV’s today. Take a 20 minute lunch break at a supercharger and you are good to go. We do that kind of sceenario. We stay at a hotel with destination chargers. Leave full in the morning. Too easy.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

We've seen tube TV's become obsolete.

Topic drift, but I kinda long for the days of "plug it in, turn it on" TV without 125 miles of cables attached to various devices and software updates that make a TV suddenly weird.

Back to topic, in my neck of the woods, 2 years ago a Tesla on the road was a bit of a novelty, now I can't swing a dead cat without hitting one; as well as a few of Tesla's competitors. [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

larry barnhart wrote:

china has the code to our power grid so best to not worry what might be.

chevman

Better China then Russia,
China has no reason to destroy US,their intent is to sell us whatever they produce.

Watch Chinese imperialism /S

https://youtu.be/03l3Ra4bL_A

Incredible!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Lantley wrote:

We've seen tube TV's become obsolete.

Topic drift, but I kinda long for the days of "plug it in, turn it on" TV without 125 miles of cables attached to various devices and software updates that make a TV suddenly weird.

Back to topic, in my neck of the woods, 2 years ago a Tesla on the road was a bit of a novelty, now I can't swing a dead cat without hitting one; as well as a few of Tesla's competitors. [emoticon]

I got a mental image there. I kinda feel bad for the cat.

Just sayin.

[emoticon]

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ICE is on its way out just like the horse was. There will be a few around but it will be few for special purposes.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

bumpy

Well, I don’t know the geography of the US much. But if it’s a typo and it’s supposed to be a 2000 mile return trip that is 1000 miles each way. So probably two days there and two days back. So no sweat for the most commonly sold EV’s today. Take a 20 minute lunch break at a supercharger and you are good to go. We do that kind of sceenario. We stay at a hotel with destination chargers. Leave full in the morning. Too easy.

Out west a 1000 mile trip is often a 1 day deal, we've done it a bunch even with young children and towing. That's not doable with an EV, towing or not.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

Reisender wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

bumpy

Out west a 1000 mile trip is often a 1 day deal, we've done it a bunch even with young children and towing. That's not doable with an EV, towing or not.

1000 miles is totally doable in an EV. That’s like 1600 km. Why wouldn’t it be. That’s like an17 or18 hour road trip. You are going to take breaks. Just charge on your breaks. A mile road trip doesn’t take us any longer in our Tesla than our old Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can’t imagine ever travelling 1600 km in one day but it wouldn’t be a problem.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What if--

What if all vehicles are electric (requiring the power grid to be charged) and all ICE cars outlawed.
What if all gas/diesel fuels are also outlawed (Paris Accord/Green New Deal/Great Reset Initiative/Davos 2021).
What if our electronic infrastructure is disrupted by the sun (solar storm) or from an attack from an enemy (China/Russia/North Korea/Iran)?

No electricity, no electronic infrastructure, no power to recharge our battery powered devices/vehicles.

And I hear the howls, "Oh, come on man! This can't happen...man made blackouts are temporary and can be fixed."

Not so for Electromagnetic Pulse effect from solar storms, geomagnetic reversal and we have man made--the EMP weapons China and Russia are/have developed.

To counter US' repeated trespasses into Chinese territorial waters, the Chinese military has the option of using new approaches, including the deployment of electromagnetic weapons, Song Zhongping, a Chinese military expert and commentator, told the Global Times on Tuesday.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1182886.shtml

DuckDuckGo/Google this search term: "EMP" "Pearl Harbor"
and select your favorite "biased" news source.

Is any government/global power capable of handling an EMP crises? As evidenced with COVID-19, IMO the answer is no. For decades western governments have spent billions of dollars preparing for biological warfare and civil defense protection/recovery--from threats with mortality rates of over 90% (anthrax, genetically modified organisms, etc). But when challenged with COVID-19 with a teensy weensy >1% mortality rate--we are greeted with global incompetence. All hat, no cowboy. They all over promised and under delivered.

Methinks the old style ICE engines (the ones without CPUs) will be in great demand in post EMP world. Should have kept my old '68 VW bug, packed it in grease and buried it in my backyard.

And for those that like to read, download this http://www.firstempcommission.org/upload........of_emp_attack_by_peter_pry_july_2017.pdf

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> You have 13 yrs 11 mths left to buy a GM gas or dsl vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.