cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric bikes.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a couple of folding Rize mini-bikes. Soon we'll travel with them and I'm wondering if people are who have electric bikes do anything extra to secure them. I'm assuming that electric bikes are a higher theft item than regular bikes. Thanks for any and all of your ideas.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
14 REPLIES 14

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas. Thanks everyone.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have motion detectors and noise makers on my E bike ,but I'm really not looking to confront someone or jump up in the middle of the night so I just bring them inside the fiver.
The bikes are too expensive for me to take a chance with. I don't believe there is any foolproof way to secure them that doesn't involve me confronting the thief!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has various priced devices that locate a hidden module on your bike. Some have a subscription.
I know this is a post to keep them from getting stolen, but locks only keep the honest folks from getting them.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
I have heard of programs people put on family member's phones that let them pin-point where other phones are. Wonder if that tech could be hidden on a e-bike? Locate, meet LEO to recover.

Sure it could just activate find the phone app on you wife's phone then put it in the battery compartment on the bike and use your phone to find it when stolen.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Had them for years. Store them on the side of the RV overnight covered with a tarp which keeps them out of view and protects against the elements. We always stay in commercial campgrounds if that matters.
If you want to lock them to the RV I would suggest a linked chain which is very difficult to cut thru even with a grinder.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rav
Explorer
Explorer
We keep ours under the front of the camper and lock them together, we also leave the battery attached, requires a key to remove it. If rain is predicted they get covered. Had them over a year and they are still working good as new. They are the EG Geneva's and we really enjoy riding them.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of programs people put on family member's phones that let them pin-point where other phones are. Wonder if that tech could be hidden on a e-bike? Locate, meet LEO to recover.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve never worried about theft while in a campground. We regularly take bike that cost well over $1000 each, and have only locked them on an overnight at a hotel.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I usally bring 2 scooters. I just lock them together at the campground and leave them behind the camper. No problems yet.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a pair of Ebikes. I do not leave them outside overnight.
They are just too expensive to gamble with. Bringing them in is easy enough.
Generally I'm not concerned about theft. But I don't want to sleep with one eye open or be on alert for every mysterious sound I hear. So I have just been bringing them in.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a truck camper mounted on a 2016 F250 Supercab. We carry our two Blix Vika folding electric bikes behind our front seats along with our Honda generator. We are fortunate in that we can fit the bikes folded or unfolded along with the batteries, chargers and helmets and still have room for drinks and snacks. Everything that we formerly carried in that space now travels in an aluminum box mounted to our front hitch. We never leave anything more valuable than a picnic table cloth outside when we are away or sleeping. The electric bikes are a fabulous way to sightsee in state and National parks as well as beach communities as well as to run errands.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to take the battery inside when not using the bike.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
You better secure anything and everything. With the drug culture and masses of people desperate to steal for a living there is nothing they won't take if it's not locked up. Sometimes they even break the lock!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use a chain and a steel cable on the outside older mountain bicycle but the good bicycle is kept in the covered truck bed...chained and cabled.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad