cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autosocks (chain replacements) Experience

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been carrying a set of Autosocks for 7+ years now in case I needed to ”chain up” and to satisfy the requirements of carrying chains on some passes. Since they weigh so little and take up so little space I just keep them in the truck all the time. Up to now I have never had to use them.

We are in a 7,000 mile trip heading home and stopped at a Harvest Host farm in the California Mountains. The day before we arrived they had a lot of snow dumped on them (California 58 was closed) but when we arrived it was sunny and 40 degrees. The long driveway was covered in snow with a cow path from a few vehicles. We had no problem with our F350 DRW carrying an AF1150 making it through the snow to our parking place.

That night it rained a little and then the temperature dipped to 20 degrees. By morning it had risen to 33 degrees. Not surprisingly the driveway out was very icy and when I went to check it out I had trouble walking on it, especially the long uphill segment. I was very concerned if I could make it up even in 4 wheel low gear.

I decided to put on the Autosocks on the outer rears, Having used chains before I was pleasantly shocked at how easy they went on. I put it in 4 wheel low and we just drove up the driveway without any slippage. It was trivial to take them off and I shook them off and put them in the floor of the camper to dry off while we drove. Later I put them back in their bag.

I don’t know, I suppose I could have made it up the hill without them, but I don’t think so, certainly not without some slippage. Given their small size and how impressed I was with them and their ease of use I am going to buy another pair for the front tires.
19 REPLIES 19

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When you drive I-80 between Sacramento and Reno during storm - you will notice in chain installation area - lot of guys in orange suits offering chain installation. Last time I was there about 6 years ago the price was like $30.
Than when the snow ends on other side, there is more of those guys who will cut your chains off for only $15.
Why they have such a good business?

specta
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:

Usually, if I hit a section of road where chains are required, my top speed is likely going to be 25mph, at best, because at that point,

If its bad enough that I need chains, it's bad enough that my stopping distance is going to be really really long, and sending 11,000lbs of truck and camper into a slide does not tickle my fancy. 😛

That's what is called a stress test. :B Speed and chains don't mix well.

I seriously doubt that I will ever need t put them on.
I'm not a hunter so once the winter weather hits I'm pretty much done camping.

Years ago were were camping late Oct and woke up here with over 12" of new snow.
This was the closest I've ever been to needing chains but I never did have to put them on.

I still haven't decided what type to buy for my Lincoln, that will most likely never need them.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
HMS Beagle wrote:
In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

That will never be an issue for me. :B

I bought these and I hope I never have to take them out of the bag.

I thought the same thing with a brand new 4X4 Ford F-150 going up the hill hunting to the summit was a little slippery but the 4X4 handled just fine,going down not so much..Had I not had new chains with me I doubt I could have made it without dinging up the truck..It turned to ice in less than an hour but that's the Magruder road..Enter at your own risk in the winter..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:
HMS Beagle wrote:
In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

Usually, if I hit a section of road where chains are required, my top speed is likely going to be 25mph, at best, because at that point, I'm likely going to be running low range gearing on the transfer case to allow the engine to do 99% of the brake work.

If its bad enough that I need chains, it's bad enough that my stopping distance is going to be really really long, and sending 11,000lbs of truck and camper into a slide does not tickle my fancy. 😛
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

specta
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
HMS Beagle wrote:
Fishhunter wrote:
I run chains a lot in winter. My last pair lasted over 10 years. You have to buy quality chains..have run cables also but when it’s nasty I grab the chains

Chains last a long time in Alasaka. In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.

I run both... and lots of dry pavement too. If someone is only getting 10 miles out of a pair, you're driving like an idiot and probably bought cheap chains. But for sure, snow is easier on them and they'll last longer than on dry pavement, regardless.

Without a doubt, folks have trouble slowing down and getting good performance and life out of them. It's human nature I guess, but the things don't survive long at 25, 30, 35+ mph. Slap, slap slap..faster you go, harder they hit. Imagine that.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Fishhunter wrote:
I run chains a lot in winter. My last pair lasted over 10 years. You have to buy quality chains..have run cables also but when it’s nasty I grab the chains

Chains last a long time in Alasaka. In California, where the CHP will make you drive for 20 miles on dry concrete pavement with them, not so long.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Even chains don't last on heavy trucks.
I was forced by Caltrans to put chains about 2 miles before actual snow was on the road.
12 miles drive with chains only on outer tires and some links already broke due to wear out thru.
Cables last much longer and allow for higher speeds, so when I was driving on I80 in Sierra - I was carrying both.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles are they good for? I think these are just for your situation you used them for, to get out of a spot, not so much for miles of driving.

When out in the woods and walking across a slippery granite-bottom stream cross in your sock feet, not barefoot or in shoes, the traction in socks is amazing, like Spiderman feet! I assume the tire sock is similar.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
https://autosock.us/products/regulations/

Looks like they have all 50 states covered.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

autorot8
Explorer
Explorer
Last I read, in Oregon when chains or snow tires are required, autosocks do not meet this requirement. So just be aware of different state requirements.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi

"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Interesting. Never spent much time in the mountains in the winter but used to put chains on the riding mower to use as a plow and it was a pain getting them on centered and tight.

From the video on their site, it looks like a 2 minute job to put them on without a lot of fiddling around.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the review,I also have been curious...When I need chains,I need chains and sometimes atleast one on the front..V-Bar for me...I never have needed chains except for in the mountains but I can see how they might help on ice like you used them,better than chaining up IMHO..Sometimes chaining up can be a real chore if your already stuck..

The usual case for me is in back in somewhere and it snows two feet on roads the plows never see and without chains is all but impossible to get back out with 4X4 tracks all over the place and into the ditch making it hard to make your own path where it should be,not where a 4X4 slid....lol
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04