cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend NP

plkitchen
Explorer
Explorer
What are the best RV parks in the Big Bend NP area.
10 REPLIES 10

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Routing - I drove US-67 to I-10 to US-385 at Fort Stockton from Lake Lavon to Big Bend, stopping overnight in San Angelo. Personally, I prefer US highways over interstate most of the time. It is a good road.

You should take US-67 from west of Fort Stockton to Alpine, and then TX-118 south. Better fuel options in Alpine than Marfa, Fort Davis or Marathon, and shopping.

There is a boonie tax in the Big Bend area. Basically everything is 20-25% higher that far out in the boonies.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

plkitchen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have provided feedback. Looks like Maverick Ranch for amenities or BJ,s for basic place to spend the night.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
BJ's is a parking lot , we hare stayed at Maverick Ranch Rv Park. Twice and it is really nice - great pool, laundry and people who work there - little store - that has an amazing variety of food is right out front
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just did this trip in November, and stayed at BJs RV park in Terlingua. It suited our needs, but it's basically a no frills place. It's a convenient place to visit the State Park & National Park. If we ever visit again, I'd consider staying there again.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
plkitchen wrote:
What are the best RV parks in the Big Bend NP area.

We were at Big Bend last year and stayed at the Maverick Ranch Rv Park. You say 'Rv Park' so apparently that's what you want. I've read that Maverick Ranch is the best in the area and it's ok, having things you might want in such a very remote area like a restaurant and small store.
We will be there again in a month, but they do fill up in the winter.
Good luck!
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
From your profile it appears you have a fairly large rig. In the park you would be happiest with the Rio Grande Village campground - large spaces, level sites. No hookups though. They have flush toilets and the store has showers. If you must have hookups, the Rio Grande Store has sites with hookups that are more of a parking lot situation. Just due to the distances involved (there are 125 miles of paved roads in the park) I'm reluctant to recommend campgrounds outside the park.
Currently Between RVs

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
one_strange_texan wrote:
My take, having been there. PawPaw_n_Gram has given you one of the best summaries and answers to a post you could hope for concerning one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 states.

X2. Chisos Basin is my favorite inside the park also.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to review given by first poster.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
My take, having been there. PawPaw_n_Gram has given you one of the best summaries and answers to a post you could hope for concerning one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 states.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I was last there in 2014 when we were campground hosts at the Chisos Basin Campground, so my info may be dated. (My sig picture was our host campsite.)

None of the NPS Campgrounds have power or water hookups. Water is available and a dump station at the Rio Grande Village CG on the east side of the park near the river.

Chisos Basin CG is limited to trailers and RVs 25 feet or less. Only three sites in the upper loop were such a rig could back in. Most sites are just a wide spot in the road to park in. Going past the second loop with a trailer is a bad idea. I had to back a fellow's 18' Casita camper up from the bottom of the loop with his long wheelbase Ford truck because that rig was too long to go through the turn around at the end without the truck or trailer tires going through the cactus and other plants. Not only is that a violation and a ticket for destroying protected vegetation, those things will put their thorns through most pickup and trailer tires.

Cottonwood Campground near Santa Elena Canyon is small. No generators allowed. They are allowed at the other two CG for some daylight hours. Only one osmosis water faucet.

There is a concessionaire campground at Rio Grande Village with power water and maybe sewer. Dump station close if not. Really a wide parking lot with a few pedestals so folks can back up to them.

The BEST facilities commercial campground is Maverick RV Ranch in Lajitas on Hwy 170 west of the park. It is 20 miles to the park entrance, 40ish miles to the park HQ, 65 miles to Rio Grande Village are, or 52 miles to the Castolon area/ Santa Elena Canyon.

The most popular commercial RV parks at 3 in Terlinqua, and 3 near Study Butte on the west side of the park. Big Bend Resorts and Adventures was popular when we are there at the intersection of TX-170 and TX-118. BJ's RV close to Terlinqua was also popular.

These are bare dirt lots with some pedestals, water and sewer at most sites. Open desert mostly, but there is no other landscape around there.

Stillwell Store and RV is a decent looking place near the north entrance that we visited a couple times. Still 35 miles to the Park Visitors Center.

Texas is big, and that area is desolate. Brewster County, which Big Bend NP is located in - is bigger than Connecticut, with less than 10,000 people in the county. Over half of whom live in Alpine, the county seat.

When my wife fell and I took her to the ER, it was 114 miles to the nearest hospital in Alpine. Have to go 140 miles to the nearest Walmart in Fort Stockton. No 24 hour pharmacies closer than Odessa 225 miles or El Paso 315 miles of Carlsbad NM 275 miles.

A fantastic, wonderful place.

There are a couple very nice RV parks in Alpine - Lost Alaskan is very popular.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT